• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

The Jayhawks-Hollywood Town Hall- holy crap!

pete692

Silver Supporting Member
Can anything be this freakin' good, and yet practically unknown? This whole album just makes me smile.

mrmurph

That is one of the best albums of the past 20 yrs IMO...just track after track of excellent songs, great playing, vocals and harmony are great.....

geetar76

I usually listen to Hollywood Town Hall back to back with Tomorrow the Green Grass. Both albums are killer.

Snottyboy

Yeah, that's as good as it gets. I like the album before and after HTH, too. HTH is the masterpiece, though.

Schroedinger

Killer album for sure. I never hear anyone talk about Sound of Lies- is it just me that thinks that album is a total masterpiece?

guitarsenal

Platinum Supporting Member
Those opening chords on "Waiting for the Sun" pull me in every time. I do agree though that Tomorrow the Green Grass is up there as well. While purists don't consider Rainy Day Music a "real" Jayhawks record (no Mark Olson) the songwriting and performances on that record are really stellar as well.

Chas

Yep thats an old one but it's never too late to get turned on to that group / album.

'70 RS

Those opening chords on "Waiting for the Sun" pull me in every time.

I absolutely love that Louris threw in his Ode To Stairway guitar solo.

Also, check out Maria McKee's "Sin To Get Saved", produced by George Drakoulias, Jayhawks as backing band (along with many others).

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
I wouldn't say practically unknown...that album (CD) sold over 400,000 copies worldwide.

And made tons of Best Of lists.

And they are a Musician's Band.

So yeah, pretty well known. Especially if you lived in MPLS at the time.

It's interesting because Louris was pretty old when they first hit--like almost 40 if memory serves. Wait, so he's like 60 now? What?

Googled it--57 now!

Pickaxe

One of my favorite bands. Imagine the horror I felt when I discovered them when Smile came out. Love that album - but was mortified that this fantastic band was rocking the Twin Cities for years and I never caught on to them. Gary Louris is one of the best songwriters working.

pete692

Silver Supporting Member
And made tons of Best Of lists.

And they are a Musician's Band.

So yeah, pretty well known. Especially if you lived in MPLS at the time.

It's interesting because Louris was pretty old when they first hit--like almost 40 if memory serves. Wait, so he's like 60 now? What?

Googled it--57 now!
They should have been so much more than a Musician's Band. The songs themselves are top-notch and incredibly hooky, these guys should be in the public consciousness as much as R.E.M. ever was.

erksin

Check out Gary Louris' solo record 'Vagabonds' - it's IMO better than anything he ever did with The Jayhawks. That opinion might get me kicked out of The Alt.Country Club thread, but yeah...

lol

Vibrolux

I agree that Vagabonds is one of the strongest releases fro Gary's work (Hawks and Solo). The Club should keep you.

Trending Topics