The Jazzmaster wasn't for me.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by scott757, Sep 3, 2008.

1. scott757

scott757 Supporting Member

I got a Classic Players Jazzmaster on Sat. But once I got it home and played it through my gear, it really didn't do it for me. So I went back to GC tonight. I played a lot of guitars. I decided to go with a Highway 1 Tele. Being as I got home at 10, I've only been able to play it through my small practice amp. But I think it's going to be a much better fit for the sounds in my head. :JAM

2. TheLemon

TheLemon Senior Member

Hm what didnt you like about it exactly? Ive been looking to play one, but Ive never seen one at the Guitar Centers down here.

3. scott757

The bridge p/u had no bass response. I'm not sure why I didn't notice that at the store. But when I got it home, it was very noticeable.

4. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

definitely a love it or hate it guitar , they do absolutely nothing for me whatsoever neither tonally or visually.

ymmv

5. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I recently got one too. I like it quite a bit but I'm unsure about the bridge pup too. Might go the Lollar route some day.

But damn the thing plays nice and I love the trem on them things!

Plus it's not a Tele or a Strat!

6. enocaster

enocaster Member

Can anyone compare these to MIJ, CIJ, or USA models? Not necessarily specs, but overall feel, solidity, resonance, etc. …

7. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

To me, that is the only thing it has going for itself, and since I love Tele's and Strats...

It's just not my cup of tea, but many enjoy playing them...it's just a matter of personal taste.

8. seiko

seiko Member

They tend to sound very different through different amps....

9. straightblues

straightblues Member

The jazzmasters use 1m pots. So having the tone on 3 is like having a telecaster or strat on 10. Work with the tone knobs a little bit and you will get the sounds you need. Start with the tone rolled all the way off and then roll it up until you like the tone instead of the other way around.

I got a Jazzmaster 2 months ago and I really like it.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  10. mr tom

mr tom Supporting Member

Friendly correction: 1 meg pots account for the JM's brightness.

11. soulohio

soulohio Member

I got a sunburst Toronado that i am thinking of selling. now that is an alternative to the strat, tele, LP and has a jazzmaster type of body...great playing and sounding guitar...a real workhorse...

12. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

Teles will always be my #1, but I like my AVRI Jazzmaster ... as mentioned, a great trem. The offset body is also perfectly balanced when playing while sitting.

+1 for the recommendation on setting the tone controls much lower than strats / teles.

13. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

also, if you want it to sustain/string bend like a strat or a tele, you'll need to add one of these to it.
    [​IMG]
    it will also make the guitar feel more like a strat or a tele, tight and punchy vs. the loose and jangly jazzmaster vibe.

14. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I've owned both a Jaguar and a Jazzmaster, neither was for me. I REALLY wanted to like my Jazzmaster- it was a white refin 65. I had the worst luck with keeping the strings in the saddles.

I guess there's fixes for that, like the Buzzstop and Mustang bridge replacement... But truth be told- I just didn't like either of them.

15. scott757

I really liked how it felt and played. The tone was what I couldn't get into. The bridge and neck position sounded good, but the bridge or the neck alone just didn't do it for me.

16. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

The Classic Player has done this already.

I love being able to do oblique bends on a trem-equipped guitar.

You can't do THAT on a Strat!

17. echobaseone

echobaseone Member

Greatest guitar Leo ever made. It requires a lot of attention, but returns the love in spades.

18. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

Shouldn't be necessary on the new Classic Play Jazzmaster. As I understand it, they've move the tailpiece closer to the bridge which, along with the tunamatic style bridge, cures the original design flaw.

19. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Last summer, I wanted a Jazzmaster becuse I never had one, and then the GAS suddenly went away. I scoured Ebay for a candy apple red MIJ and almost bid. A few of my friends said don't bother, Jazzmasters weren't suited for my style of playing or the music I like. I think they were right. I haven't wanted one since.

20. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

I love Jazzmasters. Of course, I love anything weird that Fender has ever done.