The Jetslide guitar slide - wow! Instantly bring it in and out of play!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ERGExplorer, Apr 19, 2016.

1. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

Over the years, i've bought and used numerous slides. I prefer slides which are more secure/fitted (no Coricidan bottles). I love the knuckle slides and the Dunlop Shy Slide for still allowing the use of the fingers for fretting. I love glass for its smoothness, my Mudslide and Bigheart ceramics for their weight and smoothness, and my brass slides for being durable.

A few months ago, I was considering getting a Peaceland Guitar Ring to have something a little wider than a knuckle slide, but which still allowed full finger use. As I'm searching for user experiences, vids, and so on, I stumble across the Jetslide.

[​IMG]

http://www.jetslide.com

It's a ring with a slide bar attached, but goes beyond the rotating slides of that sort by coming into play when you grab that tab with your pinky. It looks cool in that it supposedly gets out of the way when your pinky isn't on the tab. The various videos I find show people using it just as described with no problem.

So, I decide to order one, the brass (for weight) with the glass sleeve (for smoothness). The website has instructions for determining the correct size, but they offer a free exchange in case your sizing fu isn't up to snuff. I did the described paper tape procedure on their website, and then went to a jewelry store to double check, and the two measurements were identical. I placed the order.

It arrived.

It takes no time at all to incorporate it into playing. Switching back and forth between use and release is fast.

One of the stranger aspects to me is that when I'm using it, it feels weighty, like a heavy steel guitar tonebar. Even with that feeling of weight though, it feels completely secure just using the ring finger and pinky.

It's semi-adjustable, but since it currently fits perfectly I can't comment on that aspect of using it in the long term. I also don't leave slides on top of equipment (which is why my ceramic slides are still going and not broken), and when I use the Jetslide I anticipate leaving it on or having it in my pocket. The ease of use makes me think that slide will be an easy flavor/texture to add even for just occasional vibrato, as opposed to "Here's that song where I pull out the slide."

I even threw out a maqam scale, different from the western scale, because it was easy to just toss it in.

I also use eBow a lot, and I'm looking forward to combining this with woodwind sounds and even bass flute sounds like the shakuhachi, but with flexible pitch. I even used it with a synth pedal to play that glissando riff from the Doctor Who theme.

I've never seen another slide which was so fast to bring in and out of play.

I am *extremely* happy with my purchase.

Pizza, cheapgtrs, NamaEnsou and 6 others like this.
  2. onwingsoflead

onwingsoflead Member

I really want to check one of these out. I'm a bit of a slide n00b but it looks easy to incorporate.

3. grimlyflick

grimlyflick Member

I use one also but have the glass sleeved version.

Check out Scott Holiday from the Rival Sons to see the Jetslide put to good use, you can see how easy it is to switch from with to without.

natethegreat12 likes this.
  4. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

I have one but it got slightly squashed and I struggle to rotate it on my finger. Really need to get a new one as I did use it a lot. Either that or work out how to straighten it up. I'd like to try the glass sleeve too

5. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Man, had to order one of those. Went for brass with glass sleeve.
    Checking out videos on YT I remember seeing it a few years ago, probably dismissed it because the "demos" are mostly poor phone camera videos, got to do something about that! :)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  6. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

That second Rival Sons vid that grimlyflick posted, Keep On Swinging, might not show the transition in action, but starting at 2:40 you can see him easily fretting with the Jetslide on, and around 3:44 he makes a quick transition from fretting to Jetslide.

@Blix - Yeah, i know what you mean about the demos. It took me a while to take the plunge, but I'm happy I did.

@bbrunskill - Most jewelers have a mandrel for reshaping bent/squished rings. Look it up if you're curious how it works, but it should be a minor fix.

Blix likes this.
  7. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

I've never been comfortable with a slide on my pinky, always used them on my ring finger, so this will be awesome.

ibis likes this.
  8. Turi

Turi Member

My mind is blown.
    That looks awesome.

9. PerFusionist

PerFusionist Supporting Member

I've had one for a while and it's pretty cool. My issue is that as I'm playing, the JS kind of rotates around on my ring finger to the point that I can't easily reach that tab with my pinky. It becomes a big stretch...or I even have to reach over with my right hand to nudge it around...and by then I'm coming in late.

Anyone have a fix/trick for this?

10. TremoJem

TremoJem Member

Huge fan of Rival Sons.

Always wanted to play slide, and have fiddled with it.

Saw this and bought the brass one.

Now I have to learn how to play slide.

Some questions, do you have to have high action on your guitar?

Do you have to have larger string size?

Do you have to have higher string tension?

Thanks

11. grimlyflick

grimlyflick Member

Sounds like you need to tighten the ring part a tiny bit.

12. dean owens

dean owens Member

How long does it take to get it after ordering?

13. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

Always wondered about those. I thought they were too gimmicky but I guess not!

14. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Will update the here when mine is in, might be a few days before it arrives here in Norway. :)

15. Andynorth14

Andynorth14 Member

Ordered as well - have always been put off by "a slide tune or not a slide tune, you shall play". To TremoJem, you don't need higher action, thicker strings etc., but they do help get a better sound for noobs - playing slide on a regular set-up normally takes quite a bit more finesse.

16. TremoJem

TremoJem Member

Thanks Andynorth14.

17. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

The Jetslide website states in the sizing instructions that it's better to have the Jetslide be a little snug. Mine doesn't rotate. The bar is parallel to my straightend finger when my hand is palm up, and when I bend the finger, the bar remains in that position, with no flop. That's even with the palm up, and the weight of the Jetslide dangling.

As he palm and fingers move up from a flat horizontal position to a playing position, gravity plays even less of a role.

My suspicion is, your Jetslide is not snug.

I'm going to point out that if you were to substitute "guitar" for the word slide, you'd be asking for a lot of the same square one details. There are lots of great videos on YouTube, and a lot of great information on the internet, on not just slide technique, but also on different set-ups for guitar for slide playing.

I had bought two different books, but finally learned the most from the Bob Brozman book "Acoustic Masters: Bottleneck Blues Guitar." I was pretty stoked when I found out that book was going to be published.

With that said, players often have different goals. Here are my own answers to your questions.

No, you don't necessarily need high action, but if your guitar has any kind of radius, it becomes harder to slide on all the strings if there is a mismmatch between the radius of the slide and the fretboard. My Bigheart slide is completely flat, and I use it across up to three adjacent strings. My Mudslide has a curve in it, and I can play across the full fretboard. My string action is *very* low on most of my guitars, and my top string is generally .09 or .010. with correspondingly low tension.

I do have guitars with higher action which work with the Jetslide and my Bigheart.

18. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

It probably varies based not just on distance, but also on whether they have the particular combo you request on hand. The ring part has the size embossed inside, so that's one specific part, and the bar is either stainless or brass, and either has a rounded end or (for the ones with a glass or copper sleeve) a flat end.

At the time of ordering, the stated delivery window was from two to three weeks domestically. It arrived two days earlier than that, but I was aware that it could have taken longer.

(I just worry that, in the wake of numerous topics where some vocal TGP members are complaining that individuals on eBay and Reverb aren't shipping things within 24 hours or responding to emails within the hour, for whatever circumstances, someone might start whining about their sized and handcrafted specialty slide needs not being instantly gratified. This isn't directed at you, but I don't want someone to complain that their diaper hasn't been changed for that 2-3 week period when they know it could take that long.)

Jetslide Guy and dean owens like this.
  19. PerFusionist

PerFusionist Supporting Member

Hmm, it might just be that I have knobbly knuckles, but it seems on the hard side to get on. Maybe I can tighten it down a bit more...

Thanks for the replies :aok

20. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

A friend of mine has some kind of foam strip thing that he put on the inside of his wedding ring when he lost a lot of weight, so it wouldn't fall off.

If the thing is barely going over your knuckle, then a compressible foam insert on the palm side of the hand likely wouldn't fall out thanks to friction, and would prevent you skinning your knuckle. Nothing fancy, just a strip cut out of the foam wrap people sometimes use for shipping, maybe even wrapped loosely all the way around your finger before sliding the Jetslide on.

[​IMG]

Cheap/free if your work has something like this kicking around, or if receiving gets some in the mail.