• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

The JHP may have been the best rock band ever!

Paul86

I actually like Jimi's voice. Perhaps if you isolate his voice from the rest of the mix, he may sound, well, OK, I'll admit. But what I love about his singing and playing is the interplay between his voice and guitar, and how he came at you as this one big voice, augmented many times over by his amps.
Now, I have seen better singers by far, and sure there have been 'better' players than Jimi, but his thing is at another level, IMHO.

dazco

Definately a great band, one of the best. THE best, well thats subjective. Not sure i;d consider this subjective tho.....they were not on fire at all in that video. I've seen most JH live vids, used to even go to JH film festivals at local theatres. Honestly, that vid to me sounds like one of thier LEAST "on fire" videos. Jimi almost seems asleep and his playing seems void of the energy i usually see in most JH videos. I really was surprised after seeing the OP's statement that they were on fire in it. I didn't expect it to be that much NOT.

dubdub

I use those terms <best ever> extremely loosely as well, lol. After the set of the last band that I liked, I told them that its was the best set ever. Dont hold me to it, its just enthusiasm! :D

Hari Seldon

Cool, a really good Hendrix tribute band. The guitar player must be the best Hendrix impersonator ever. He even has the same complete absence of timing and direction in his playing like H. had himself.

Is JHP "Jimmie Hendrix Pretenders"?

:hide2

Duffy

Hendrix and this crew, including Steve Winwood and Mitch Mitchell (The long time drummer for Hendrix) are actually hitting this song really well. They play together very, very well; respect each other's musical territory, etc. This is a great video.

I'm surprised that some of our great guitar players here are missing something here.

Duffy

Wouldn't the best rock band ever have a great lead singer?
Steve Winwood would definitely be considered a great lead singer; a protégé of the fame of the Spencer Davis Group at a young age, and later a founding member of the famous and influential "Traffic", composer of the great, "Dear Mr. Fantasy", and also a member of Blind Faith. He continues to play to this day and can still sing quite well. It was rumored that he was the first of the English rockers to have a Fender Strat over in England. It was a beautiful surf green one, of which Clapton and the rest were very much enamored. You couldn't get a Fender in England back then.

I think we have indisputedly quite the crew here in this band.

Give it a second listen and notice how well they play together.

rongtr1

Steve Winwood would definitely be considered a great lead singer; a protégé of the fame of the Spencer Davis Group at a young age, and later a founding member of the famous and influential "Traffic", composer of the great, "Dear Mr. Fantasy", and also a member of Blind Faith. He continues to play to this day and can still sing quite well. It was rumored that he was the first of the English rockers to have a Fender Strat over in England. It was a beautiful surf green one, of which Clapton and the rest were very much enamored. You couldn't get a Fender in England back then.

I think we have indisputedly quite the crew here in this band.

Give it a second listen and notice how well they play together.
Steve Winwood was not part of the Jimi Hendrix Experience--he did play B3 in the studio with Jimi on Voodoo Chile, but never sang a note with Jimi.

Hari Seldon

Hendrix and this crew, including Steve Winwood and Mitch Mitchell (The long time drummer for Hendrix) are actually hitting this song really well. They play together very, very well; respect each other's musical territory, etc. This is a great video.

I'm surprised that some of our great guitar players here are missing something here.
Yes, I'm missing, for example, Steve Winwood and the fine playing together.
The vid in the 1st post shows a sub standard Hendrix trio.
Could you please explain what are you talking about?

Duffy

Yes, I'm missing, for example, Steve Winwood and the fine playing together.
The vid in the 1st post shows a sub standard Hendrix trio.
Could you please explain what are you talking about?

Something strange happened because there was another video on there with Mitch Mitchell in has later years with Steve Winwood and crew playing. It was good. Hendrix wasn't on there. I mixed that up.

Sorry about that mix up but the video with Winwood and Mitchell was really good. Maybe I changed Youtubes while I was still half asleep.

Again, my apology. Obviously Hendrix wasn't even around during Mitch Mitchells later years. I feel dumb. I'm also on pain meds from a serious, deep surgery; so I'm sure that and just waking up contributed to me getting messed up in my head.

I'm embarrassed.

kiwicanuck

Don't beat yourself up. :)

There are so many great rock bands that this thread is pretty pointless. I think Pearl Jam and the Foo Fighters rock more than Hendrix, for example.

Trending Topics