The jig is up... I think I may be a strat guy

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gasp100, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I haven't played/owned a normal old standard 3 pickup strat S-S-S for about 20 years or more (for any serious length of time). As a matter of fact, the last time a S-S-S was my one and only main guitar was when I was 13 (Ibanez Roadstar II -- I'll be 40 next years.
    EDIT: HAHA! Sorry about that, I got "pulled away" from TGP for family duties (heaven's no!).
    Anyway, I picked up a nice MIA late 90's strat -- it needs some setup work and I will probably look to tweak the tuners, pups, etc... but the core tone is THERE. It just sounds great into my AxeFX as is, super dead strings and all. This is a good sign. You know how sometimes you just "know" instantly if something is "right" and is going to work. That's how I feel about this now. Hell, this might not even be THE strat, but I'm realizing that although I love all guitar styles, LP's, Tele's, semi-hollows, etc... the strat is my tonal center.
    Now the question is... do I try and jammy this one up or go BIG! (Danocaster, Custom Shop, etc... :)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  2. ToneFreeq89

ToneFreeq89 Member

Me too.

Welcome to the club.

3. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

4. jimmybcool

jimmybcool Supporting Member

I don't want to make any declarations. All I know is for the last 3 weeks all I have played is my Fender strat (S/S/S) and Thorn R/S SoCal (S/S/H) through a Super Reverb RI and Blond Bassman. I keep looking at all this other gear I have and none seems to get any playtime at the moment.

If it doesn't change in a year or two I will be having one hell of a booteek sale. :rimshot

5. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Be honest with yourself.....you know what'll happen if you juice up your current strat.....you'll enjoy it, but will still be thinking about a sweet Fender CS or other custom built version, ultimately selling your current for far less than its value with all the new parts. So in my opinion.....GO BIG NOW!

And beware, Strats are contageous. You start with one, and suddenly end up with three, without recalling exactly how you got there. And this is coming from a former Gibson/PRS humbucker guy and Strat hater! (Still love my Gibbo's and PRS's, but the Strat contingent is quite prevalent now as well)

6. jackbart1960

jackbart1960 Member

+1 In this market if you got it get it. There is some crazy deals out there on CS', AVRI's, and small builders stuff for prices you ain't going to see once, hopefuly soon, the economy straightens out.
    Peace. J.J.B.

7. operanonverba

operanonverba Silver Supporting Member

That's great Chris! I'll hold all those cool MIJ Les Pauls and Teles you got till you come back to your senses! Strats? hate em ( hmm..counting 7 in the stands......):D

8. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

I love the way a Strat feels, but I need a Humbucker in the bridge & a Floyd Rose. So I've always just built Super Strats, but the basic shape & layout is the same.

9. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Welcome back Greg.
    Nothing like a strat... nothing.

I guess they're too sexy for some folks to handle judging from all the hate they receive. You never see "I just don't get the Les Paul" threads do you?

Anyway, the best part about owning a strat is tricking it out. Go nuts.

BTW, you're gonna want a tele again at some point so don't deceive or deprive yourself. Nothing like a tele either.

10. HHB

HHB Member

11. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

I'm a strat guy. I love having a tele and a LP but my tonal palette and hands gravitate to the classic strat set up.

I have been playing my strat equipped with a Classic '57 in the neck and a Joe Barden Duo Tone HB in the bridge a lot lately and, even though I LOVE that guitar and its tone, when I jump back to the classic S-S-S set up I feel like a kid in my mom's arms.

12. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

My Suhr Classic S-S-S maple neck Strat (ocean turquoise) is the one that always puts a smile on my face. A really good Strat is to-die-for. I have lots of guitars, but if I could only have one, the choice would be easy.

13. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I have always been a strat guy... welcome to the club!

Now I'm fighting a large urge to become a tele lover too.

14. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

HAHAHA! I knew you would find me...! I'm already starting to GAS for a Tele as we speak! What have I done????????????????
    :horse
    The strat is kicking ass, but I don't feel like I need more than one. Strat + Tele = done, Strat + Tele = done... I'll just keep telling myself that :YinYang
    My CS Strat is sitting in the driveway as we speak; after tonight I will know if a plain old Fender MIA strat can compete with the CS Strat because only one can stay.

15. Mike7

Mike7 Member

Everybody ends up a strat guy

16. Gnarlly

Gnarlly Member

Add me to the list of Strat guys. I do have a Les Paul, but it rarely gets played.

The thing I like most about Strats is their modular design and how easy they are to mod/swap parts. If you like the feel of the one you have now, I suggest keeping it and modding it any way you like. Pickups, pickguards, tuners, bridge, etc. Make it your own. Everyone should have a partscaster to tinker with.

17. D.G.

D.G. Member

Keep the Strat you've got and as you become much more familiar with it you'll discover its strengths and short-comings and will have a much better idea of whether you need to upgrade parts or the entire guitar. Do not replace the guitar without doing a very complete A/B comparison between the guitar you have and the guitar you're looking at replacing it with :)

18. Pelagic

Pelagic Supporting Member

I often feel "the desire". I wander in to the local booteek seller, sit down, place a gorgeous LP on my lap and......it almost falls to the floor due to its weighting and then it jabs me in the ribs once I get it balanced and finally I try not to hurt my rotator cuff as I hoist it back on to the hook.