The John Hiatt Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by marktweedy, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Excellent writer and performer, and I'm so happy that he got Sonny Landreth's name out there so the rest of the world could catch on. I think I first got into him when a record shop went out of business and I grabbed a couple of copies of his earliest stuff; maybe cutouts.

I like that Desert Sand Telecaster he's got in that live clip of Paper Thin - methinks it got FMIC thinking about how cool a Classic Player (50s) Baja would look in it - and somehow I have Seven Bajas in that color - no joke! I wonder what happened to that guitar.

This is a crazy number of nice songs he's penned - only Neil Young, Bob Dylan and a half dozen other guys have out-written him in terms of numbers, of songs I really like.

2. timmytVA

timmytVA Silver Supporting Member

Haha, yeah!

"Sure I like country music
    I like mandolins
    But right now I need a Telecaster
    Through a Vibrolux turned up to ten"

Tim

bgutschow and Crowder like this.
  3. timmytVA

timmytVA Silver Supporting Member

Love this one too. That opening riff with the tremolo going on slays me.

Tim

bgutschow and Crowder like this.
  4. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

Identical experience here. I was working at Record Bar when Bring the Family came out. It is still a favorite. Likehe caught lightning in a bottle there for that stretch through Walk On.

There were a few other roots records that came out around then that really hit with me. Graham Parker’s “The Mona Lisa’s Sister” and X’s “See How They Are” are a few I can recall.

5. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Definitely a John Hiatt fan. I think he's fantastic.

6. uitar99

uitar99 Member

Yes, that show with Lyle Lovett was great. Had no idea Lovett was that talented or such a story teller

7. mango

mango Member

Just keep them pretty legs showin'
    it gets hot down where we're goin'

RoryGfan likes this.
  8. mikebat

mikebat Member

Those 10 years were like lightning in a bottle for me too.

It took years for my wife to come around to appreciating him, because she does not gravitate to any roots style music (except for Wilco, which also took years, and Tom Waits) and because of his very particular voice. He has a tone which our family calls "coca cola in your throat". But she could no longer deny that the songs are incredible, as is his vocal performance.

I somehow consider it an achievement in my life that I got her to turn her stubbornness around and listen, and love Hiatt, Waits and Wilco. I catch her adding their tunes to her incredibly long playlists regularly.

9. specialidiot

specialidiot most likely to seceede Gold Supporting Member

Hell yes.... His up tempo songs are fantastic, but these slow burners are achingly beautiful.

Crowder likes this.
  10. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

Wow. Someone who can tolerate Tom Waits vocals shouldn't have any issue with Hiatt's!

His daughter Lilly Hiatt made a great record last year.

11. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Member

Huge John Hiatt fan here. He's not only a great songwriter but a unique voice; I've always thought that nobody could do a John Hiatt song like John Hiatt. Of course, that didn't stop a couple of folks (Aaron Neville, B.B. King, Bob Dylan, Bonnie Raitt, Buddy Guy, Chaka Khan, Dave Edmunds, Delbert McClinton, Desert Rose Band, Emmylou Harris, Eric Clapton, Ilse DeLange, Iggy Pop, Jeff Healey, Jewel, Jimmy Buffett, Joan Baez, Joe Bonamassa, Joe Cocker, Keith Urban, Linda Ronstadt, Mandy Moore, Nick Lowe, Paula Abdul, Paulini, Rodney Crowell, Rosanne Cash, Ry Cooder, Suzy Bogguss, The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, The Searchers, Three Dog Night, Willie Nelson, Asleep At The Wheel, and Willy DeVille) from covering him.

(Yes, I lifted the list from Wikipedia)

12. mikebat

mikebat Member

:) With Waits, it's the word play in "Eggs and Sausage" that got her. She can't hold herself together when she hears "Martha", and "Alice" just confirmed it all.

I also played the Michael Douglas talk show interview and she thought he was brilliant.

I will check out Lilly Hiatt!

Now....off to a conference call about second language learning software!

Crowder likes this.
  13. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

My own fault, but John Hiatt is someone I have always liked ( one of those artists, like John Prine where you like EVERY song you hear, immediately!), but I forget about what he's doing currently....
    Was lucky enough to see Little Village live at GWU's Lisner Auditorium- hell of a show ( talk about an eclectic ' Supergroup') We remember Ry Cooder having a mini tantrum onstage about something going on with his gear, or house sound, but it was quick...

14. mannish

mannish Member

yep one of my favorites going to Germantown, Tn in march to see the JH & The Goners (Landreth) reunion

Bring the Family album is legitimate masterpiece IMO

15. bgutschow

bgutschow Member

This is the one that got me hooked.

16. jaded_musician

jaded_musician Supporting Member

I'm really enjoying Lilly Hiatt, thanks to this thread for turning me on to her music.

The apple is growing right under the tree.