The John Mayer Trio is coming back!

What a glorious day!

Here is the quote:

« What's next for this seven-time Grammy-award winning artist? Mayer told THR that he will use this year to create and talk less, spending February playing and writing with other musicians to prepare for his next record, planned for 2015. "I won’t be touring as much," he said. "I really want to get the record right, focus and compile, as well work on some side projects." Additionally, he noted that the John Mayer Trio with bassist Pino Palladino and drummer Steve Jordan "will be coming back."»

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/john-mayer-receives-ucla-head-673434

Cream

Just a note: That doesn't mean the record slated for 2015 is JM3. Anytime I've ever seen someone ask JM if he wants to do the trio thing again he says, "definitely." So I'm not holding my breath.

I did watch a very cool and detailed interview with him at Oxford University recently where he seemed to say that he wanted his next album to get back to "him" -- that Continuum sound the blends rock, pop, and blues in one. I was definitely excited.

Just a note: That doesn't mean the record slated for 2015 is JM3. Anytime I've ever seen someone ask JM if he wants to do the trio thing again he says, "definitely." So I'm not holding my breath.

I did watch a very cool and detailed interview with him at Oxford University recently where he seemed to say that he wanted his next album to get back to "him" -- that Continuum sound the blends rock, pop, and blues in one. I was definitely excited.
Here, minute 21.40

wookyoftheyear

Silver Supporting Member
Can't wait, loved all his stuff, including his latest stuff, but the Trio and that style have a special place in my heart. I hope he brings DRH back into the fold.

I thought he was going to round out the country-folky stuff with one more album though?

supergenius365

Silver Supporting Member
I love the Trio.

I know he has had a roughy time with the throat issues, and I give him credit for coming back from the treatments, but I personally am having a hard time listening to JM sing now. Perhaps it is knowing what he sounded like and was capable of before. I found it hard to watch him on the Crossroads DVD.

Like I said: I love the Trio work and will pick up anything they put out. Just a little nervous about the singing :hide

EricPeterson

I love the Trio.

I know he has had a roughy time with the throat issues, and I give him credit for coming back from the treatments, but I personally am having a hard time listening to JM sing now. Perhaps it is knowing what he sounded like and was capable of before. I found it hard to watch him on the Crossroads DVD.

Like I said: I love the Trio work and will pick up anything they put out. Just a little nervous about the singing :hide
His voice continues to get better, the crossroads was filmed shortly after he came back, it has been a lot of time since then.

traviswalk

In the Great State
Platinum Supporting Member
That is terrific news, I hope they play some smaller venues again like they did with the Trio the frist time around, some really amazing stuff from those live shows.

Trending Topics