The Juke Has Landed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by e-z, Nov 21, 2005.

1. e-z

e-z Member

A brand new Juke 1210 arrived today. I only had a few minutes to plug it in but it is a gorgeous sounding amp.

2. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    outstanding & congrats! what number is it (mine's #077 (Jan '03))?

:cool:

3. e-z

e-z Member

It's #135 (November '05). What a great clean sound.

4. S. Hawk Ltd.

S. Hawk Ltd. Member

Hey e-z... We knew you'd like it... Play it some more and you'll love it!

Yeah, man! It hits the spot.... Don't it?! (Mine is Juke 1210C, #96, Oct. '03)

Hawkeye, just for the heck of it I put in a couple KT-66's (rated #4) and went for the gusto to put in a Tungsram 12ax7 in V1. I might put some more of those Tungsram 12ax7's when I can afford... Also, I placed a Weber 12F150, (no dope)... No detriment to tone.... Sounds really nice! Kind of creamy clean... You'd have to hear it for yourself to know if you ever try something like this in your Juke, I guess... Anyway, I like it! It will stay like this for a good while!!!
    This Juke is the best!

5. hawkeyeinexile

e-z, S.HawkLtd speaketh rightly. the more you play it, the better it sounds - so say all hereabouts who've heard it when i first got it, then some months later. play on! :D

S.HL., i've been thinking about that, cuz i got two pair of GT KT66s (one set pre-HP, one set HP) and no EL34 spares. being real limited funds-wise, it's darn tempting...keep us posted...;)

6. S. Hawk Ltd.

S. Hawk Ltd. Member

I will do that, Hawkeye! I've got two pairs of GT KT66's. Rated #5 and #4. I tried both but just stayed with #4.
    5 seemed just a hair tighter... Anyway, I have the voltage adjustment reading for the KT66s...

7. hawkeyeinexile

i've gotta learn to do my own biasing. i have Gary's instructions, but need more. do you do yours? what kinda device do you use? (for a couple other amps here, all i need is a digital multimeter & plug into external ports)

8. e-z

e-z Member

I got to play the Juke a little more last night. I just messed with the tone controls to see what kind of sounds I could get out of it while playing a Tele.

With the bridge PU it could be full and meaty or snarling and edgy just using the bass and treble controls. It was never harsh and piercing, even when I had the bass rolled off all the way for that 60's Bakersfield country sound. With both pickups there was plenty of note definition while strumming chords. Using the neck pickup I could get great pipe smoking jazzbo tone. As others have noted the Vibrato and Reverb are beautiful.

I encourage anyone looking for a great clean sound to check out the Juke.

9. sabby

sabby Member

Just out of curiosity, how touch sensitive is the Juke? Does it in any way respond with a little grit when you dig in, like a tweed?

Great to hear you're digging your new amp. :AOK

10. S. Hawk Ltd.

S. Hawk Ltd. Member

Hey Hawkeye,
    If I can do it, you can too! Its easy... All you need is a small screw driver and digital volt (multi) meter.. Just unscrew the panel and the guts are exposed and kind of like toward the left is that big 10 ohm resistor that is postioned north/south. Its white in color and chalky ceramic looking, immediately to the left of that resistor is the bias adjustor. (thats what the small screwdriver is for)... Just like the picture in Croteau's instructions...

When you're ready to change tubes I can walk you through that if you want... Heck, even on my dime! It would be my pleasure!

11. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    FYI: This customer (Gerry) replaced the first preamp tube in his Juke with a Tungsram and loved it!

"Mike,
    I received the tubes today... That was fast!

At any rate, WOW!~!!!! You were right! That Tungsram 12AX7 is a good one! I plugged just one in the Juke 1210 in V1 and MAAAAAN.... What a difference!

My Juke amp is THE BEST amp I have ever played through... But, just 1... ONE tube made it oh so much MORE of goodness!!!! I aint BSing, MAN!

Hell, its even a purdee tube to look at! What is that tiny square foil looking thing inside??? I will be buying a few more of those cool tubes very soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Gerry"

12. joseph

joseph Member

Very much so (Happy 1210 owner here also). In fact, for those of you who can't hear one, the best description is, it's the kind of amp that if you can't sound good thru it, it's not the amp - it's you.

Another description - at gigs, non-guitar players come up to me and say "you sound great!" The guitarists come up to me and say "Your amp sounds great!"

13. hawkeyeinexile

yer on, bud, but i'll charge up my calling card (otherwise you might need a lot of dimes, given my thimble of knowledge & bucket of questions :eek:)

i've got one of these:

[​IMG]

joseph, that description cracked me up. sound guy (almost a guitarist) at a gig said that to me.

sabby, i find it very touch-responsive. comparable to my Fuchs-mod'd Concert. grit depends on level settings. but with both controls at, say, 2/3-3/4 :)eek: ) it's very much like my (now-sold) Komet 60 in "gradual" mode and then some. the Komet in "fast" mode was exceptionally responsive, but not as quiet idling as the Juke.

e-z, over the course of a couple months you'll notice everything getting "richer", too :D

14. S. Hawk Ltd.

S. Hawk Ltd. Member

Hawk, Right ON! That 22-801 meter will work! Alligator clips if you got them... Anyway, Get a hold of me the message thing on this Gear Page or here is fine...

15. Stringmaster

Stringmaster Gold Supporting Member

Would the Juke 1210 be a good choice for West Coast Blues ala Jr. Watson, Alex Schultz, et. al., or would it be best to stay in the tweed camp?

16. hawkeyeinexile

i think it'd be a great choice, esp. the "Vintage" or "Studio Pro" models (6L6 or KT66, mine's a "Classic" (EL34)). wouldn't surprise me if you were jammin' with them that they'd want one, too ;).

17. hawkeyeinexile

i think it'd be a great choice, esp. the "Vintage" or "Studio Pro" models (6L6 or KT66, mine's a "Classic" (EL34)). wouldn't surprise me if you were jammin' with them that they'd want one, too ;).

18. S. Hawk Ltd.

S. Hawk Ltd. Member

I just plugged in a pair of Electro Harmonix 6CA7's. And its a very nice tone... I think better than the ones that came in it which were Ruby E34L's... Just my opinion... KT66's are nice too!
    BTW, Hawkeye is right ON! My Juke is kinda popular.... It definitely aint me!!! :)