The Keeley Tone Workstation ~ Test Drive and pics!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mrbluetone, Sep 29, 2005.

1. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

Well as luck would have I got to swing by Keeley's yesterday and catch the boy's working on all kinds of stuff. The Keeley Tone Workstation proto was up and running so a little test drive was given!
    The first thing I noticed was the effect order and I quickly found out you can switch the order to your preference very easy, just move a cable. It runs off one 9 volt battery or one 9 volt boss type plug. I will tell you that it is a wonderful sounding box. The Rhythm effect is in the ball park of a Boss BD-2 Sound but not the same Controls are (Gain, Volume, Tone and a switch that acts like the phat boost). It is very open and clear and can be dialed in for a mean low growl. The center effect is the Keeley Compressor with the new Attack external control. The Lead side effect has Gain, Drive, Tone and Volume controls along with a 3 way switch for some more Eq options this side sounds more in the Tube Screamer ball park..but again not a TS-9...I was amazed at how the effects interact to each other and it is a handy thing to be able to switch the batting order of effects . It will be a gigging guitarist dream come true. Great basic tone be it clean, mean or downright dirty and then you can add any type of lead over it...Clean or dirty..eq'd with plenty of gain to step out of the mix. I will be looking forward to it's release..the other pics are the new boxes for it and RK getting down on a 72 Fender Jazz Bass....and I had to buy myself a little something to tide me over until the Tone Workstation is released!! Wait till I put the TR-2 in the DD-3 loop with some fuzz!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

That looks stunning, I bet it sounds even better... can't wait to get my hands on one of these... I see there are TWO toggles on the Lead Drive channel... what does the second one do? Also, any MSRP for this yet... and a waiting list:D Thanks ahead of time tone brother.

-TJK

3. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

One was a EQ type the other was some kind of gain boost! It would get it on with the lead channel!

4. jockman

jockman Member

That looks as though it will be a killer setup. But I bet it will be expensive.:(

Jon

5. Iladelph

Iladelph Guest

I believe i remember hearing under 400$....

hard to believe tho. oooh well.

6. Phil M

Phil M Member

I talked to him about this via e-mail about 6 mos. ago. I was really interested in the second unit he was working on which would have chorus, delay and a third effect, probably a filter. Sounds cool and I think he was estimating around $500 for that one and $400 for the one bluetone tested.

Now that I've heard he might be making those single delay units, that would be good enough for me. Anyone hear anything more on those?

7. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

The single delays will be out soon and the double (Delay & OD/Dist) will be out right behind that!

8. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

Very cool, can't wait. Thanks for the post!

9. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

I got sent to Ok City on business yesterday and so I gave Robert a last minute call and we had lunch and then I got a factory tour and a test drive on the new Keeley Delay, Overdrive, and Distortion. RK is as cool as it gets about taking time out of his busy day for me and my crew. Many Thanks RK you made our freakin' day a blast!

The Keeley Delay's we used are the Katrina auction units and they are slightly different because they are both proto types. They are outstanding and I will be the first to tell you...these will make the winners very happy indeed. The unit is arounf 300ms and can do the AD-9 rockabilly stuff perfect. But that's where it ends with a Ibanez AD9 or AD80..or AD99 for that matter. The Keeley Delay is like 3 slices of pie in one unit...you get a Hi-Fi crystal clear analog repeat if you want, plus it can go Lo-Fi and dirty repeats and then it can do a a fine grit FET boosted stadium guitar sound that distorts by itself...awesome for Cliff's of Dover sound. The Keeley Analog Delay can do ruunaway delays..dirty or clean...Robert almost has a reverb sound starting to develope from this pedal. Think of (3 )one trick ponies that can each do several tricks and you have an idea of the Keeley Delay. Jack Orman helped Robert with some of the board design and it shows... incredible warm sound thoughout the range of settings and Robert thinks overall it is slighty more lo-fi but it will get clean with the single pickups. Robert was using a Roy Gallager Strat and then later plugged in a hot hummer guitar...and talk about a overdriven tone using just the delay by itself...fantastic sounding and hard to wonder what new tunes will be written with this delay. The other thing is when he plugged either his new distortion or new overdrive the delay comes alive and gets bigger and better....my crew and myself had to pick our jaws off Robert's desk. The Keeley delay is not dark like Ibanez's... it is bright and can still get lo-fi dirty with a twist of the ol' controls. I call the next feature the "Keeley Tweak Factor" same as the Keeley CE-2 and Fuzzhead..an intrernal control dials in the dirt or clarity parameters of each slice of tone you choose...it won't do the whole pie on any one setting ..but you get 3 flavors and they are mmmm good! A very tweakable unit I gotta give a high rating.

The New Overdrive proto was very diferent than anything I've heard...cept maybe a cranked Fender... it retains single note clarity even when dimed and complex chords are heard. The volume makes a huge difference how this effect reacts..very much the same case for the Distortion proto...gobs of available gain and yet it can do the clean thing with plenty of bottom end without the mud..seems like the strings are alive and breathing.

The Distortion is not a DS-1 anything..Robert has got this sounding big and bad and very hard rock with raw openess that seem so full that it sounds darker than a DS-1 and retains complex chords and single note clarity. We spent most of the several hours on the delays. Robert said these delays will be coming for sale soon and I will be first in line when production starts.
    Enjoy the pics!
    [​IMG]
    The House of Blue Lights lobby! I'm waiting for the tone doctor to see me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The work bench with the killer purple delays!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The new box is gonna be a Delay and OD or Distortion together...killer stuff boys!

10. rastaman

rastaman Member

Hey mrbluetone, do you know when the delay's are going to be available?? Do you know anything about the delays you could tell us? I'm currently searching for a good analog delay that doesn't cost several hundred dollars and I just bought my first Keeley pedal [TMB] recently and I am VERY VERY pleased w/ his products.

11. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

They are really close to being ready ...under $200 a great analog delay! It will be on my board the day I get one..but I'm kinda of a delay freak...:D

12. rastaman

rastaman Member

Cool. I believe I'll wait for the RK Delay. Thanks.

13. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

Cool lookin' stuff! Any word on the Neil Zaza pedal Keeley is working on?

14. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

I'll snoop around next trip over there! I was learning some of his riffs...get's you thinking!

15. ToneChimera

ToneChimera Member

Hi;

Why put multiple pedals into one box?

"The new box is gonna be a Delay and OD or Distortion together."

Easy of decision, efficient on space, idea tester, killer matching and synergy, they belong together silly, or control signal path and thus noise?

Maybe we could have a big box and drop in fitted pedals in at will. Dream?

TC