The Kemper made me buy a Bogner

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Billy_B, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Billy_B

Billy_B Silver Supporting Member

Never said anything didn't exist. Didn't deny anything.

Put it this way: The start of the signal chain is my brain. Then there's all sorts of stuff going on in the middle before the sound my brain thought up is received back through my ears. I just finished jamming through 5 cables (40'), 3 stomp boxes, and a multiple gain stage analog circuit into a paper cone transducer. I was standing between 3 and 15 feet away from the speaker.

A few more or less milliseconds of latency from any one of the dozens of parts of the signal chain simply doesn't step to the front of the class and start screaming IT'S ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too many people are still hanging onto latency as if digital conversion technology hasn't advanced in the last decade. And the decade before that.

2. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later

And after trying for over a year to get the Kemper to be this way, and taking it out on a job, after less then one song, I knew I made a mistake.

However, I did bring with me, a valve amp, which I switched back too after the first set. Your statement about "feeling disconnected" was why I couldn't continue to pursue using a digital amp platform live. While the sound wasn't as there for me as a valve amp is, the feel was the main reason I couldn't continue to use the Kemper.

After that, my Kemper was assigned to desk duty for silent practice. Funny thing is that with headphones, I don't have the feeling of missing the sound or feel quite as badly, but it's still lacking.

DeadLazy likes this.
  3. Billy_B

Could it be the [space] effect that's added to the KPA headphone signal?

C-4 likes this.
  4. Jimmy_Rage

Jimmy_Rage Member

2-3 ms is very little latency, but when plugged into a real amp, latency is virtually 0 ms.

The result is a far more tactile experience, where you "feel" as you play. With the Kemper, I always have a disconnect. It's not unplayable, it's just not a tube amp.

This is especially true when playing fast palm mutes, from my experience. The sound starts to lag behind the motion after a point, and it can definitely be felt.

As you stand further away from the Kemper speaker, assume you're standing further from the amp as well. Latency adds up.

DeadLazy likes this.
  5. C-4

C-4 Member

I don't know, as I have not changed it in several years. It always sounded better to me through cans. :)

6. Billy_B

@C-4 For the record the default is [space on] for headphones only and set for 1/4th the way up.

This can be changed on page 5/6 of the KP output settings.

If it's been on all this time and you shut it off abruptly it'll feel like you fell into an anechoic chamber. :D

C-4 likes this.
  7. C-4

C-4 Member

Thank you! I guess it is set that way, as I never touched it. I appreciate the info, WBellman.

8. DeadLazy

DeadLazy Member

I can perceptibly feel it; it’s there; ergo it’s not a precise emulation.

I also think there are other things it fails to do but I stay out of the digital section because I’ve no more interest in the debate really.

There will be tube amps for a long time to come and digital will evolve: probably. Digital isn't the answer to everything, though.

I plan on looking into a Kemper in time but there are other various reasons I don’t like the company and would like to see a competitive product.

9. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

Hah.. good thread... the default amp models in protools led me to a Plexi. There were not many amp models. But it was a good choice for me

DeadLazy likes this.
  10. ljholland

ljholland Silver Supporting Member

I’m wondering whether the folks that have tried a Kemper used an FRFR or a powered Kemper with a real cabinet. When I use my powered Kemper loaded with a Friedman Dirty Shirley profile and then switch to my real Dirty Shirley head using the same Creamback cabinet, it sounds the same. Not close...the same pants flapping tone. BTW - I didn’t have this experience using a Helix into a Yamaha DXR10. That setup sounded good but not like a real tube amp in the room.

DeadLazy likes this.
  11. DeadLazy

DeadLazy Member

I used the Kemper in a studio and wasn’t doing the set up. It wasn’t a cab though and I had headphones.

I will absolutely get the Kemper that is made to power a cab. If I get one but it sounds like a lot of fun to me.

I am a Z fanboy. Nothing will replace them. I also love my Mesa.
    There a few Orange amps; a fender Bassbreaker; and a Marshall or two I want before that though.

Besides another Z. It’ll just have to wait and maybe prices will drop.

12. Billy_B

Cool! Too bad everyone doesn't share the same experience. I was full time Kemper for 2 years. Have played a PT-20 alongside it now for a month.
    I have 3 sets of monitors - the 10" greenback in the combo, a 12" V30 in a sealed ported cab, and the 8010 studio monitors. Made some DI profiles of the taco and used them along with some I found online. A-B'd everything each way I could think of and in the end there's a difference to my ears.