the key to good guitar playin'

Vishnu

IMO is the RIGHT hand.a GOOD right hand will take you above the local standard.it's ALL in there,attack,dynamics,speed......

of course there are "more than one way to skin a cat" Alan Holdsworth and the legato players for instance,but for me the right hand is where it's at.

... and it don't have to be TOO sophisticated to work well.take ol' Carlos,i am sure his unique attack plays a large part in forming his tonal signature

just sayin' is all

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
Al DiMeola agrees with you. I remember an interview where he said that the left hand was basically meat, and that the right hand was just about everything in playing well.

While I would not go that far, I am coming to really understand just how significant the right hand is to playing well; especially because I don't, and as a left hander playing righty, my right hand started with a deficit that was exacerbated about ten years ago due to CNS damage.

Vishnu

Al DiMeola agrees with you. I remember an interview where he said that the left hand was basically meat, and that the right hand was just about everything in playing well.

While I would not go that far, I am coming to really understand just how significant the right hand is to playing well; especially because I don't, and as a left hander playing righty, my right hand started with a deficit that was exacerbated about ten years ago due to CNS damage.

you are in good company....Gary Moore :)

Echoes

balance, tone, tact, taste, space, dynamics, soul, feel, emotion...these words mean more than one hand or the other.

harpinon

And above all.....timing!
You have to be able to sync your right hand perfectly in time with the music. It's really tough when there are no drums.
You can have all the soul you want but if your timing is off, the whole thing is shot.

bluesjunior

The human response to hardship and adversity never ceases to amaze when you see something like this. I saw something similar at a local blues festival here in the UK around ten years ago. One of the bands had a young man with a severe spastic condition who played excellent slide guitar up on stage with them for a couple of numbers. Thanks for posting this, it is inspiring and puts the "Tone is in the fingers/gear/technique" argument where it belongs. It is all about the human will.

Mark Ray

The RockTrain
Platinum Supporting Member
I believe Mutt Lange said Malcolm Young was "the best right hand in the business" or something similar to that.

teleking36

Silver Supporting Member
a good right hand can set you apart from a LOT of players. It's amazing how one guitarist can make a guitar rig sound brash, harsh, strident with just their right hand. I notice it a lot.

rwe333

Silver Supporting Member
you are in good company....Gary Moore :)
+ Steve Morse, Rik Emmett & many others - leftys playing right.

But - yeah - lotsa identity expressed c/o the picking hand, even w/ the likes of the aforementioned Holdsworth as his seemingly fretting-hand-dependent legato depends on rather proficient/precise (yet subtle) picking hand expression.

Trending Topics