The kindness of people -

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Sidney Vicious, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Member

A woman I hire on occasion to translate or do mitigation investigation, picks up hours at a hospice to make rent. She asked me if I would meet her at the hospice to notarize a cremation paper for a dying guy under her watch.

The guy is a total fringe character known nowhere but the bars and - very - local music scene. I never heard of him until today. I agreed.

I get to the building and go to the second floor as told. I didn’t need to ask for directions - I followed the sound of the drum and the smell of burning sage.

In the room the man lay dying - surrounded by a group consisting of the owner of a well-known watering-hole on drums, a very well known and respected Mardi Gras Indian Chief, a known zydeco frontman, and a local visual artist. My friend stood off to the side. The guys, later joined by an acoustic guitarist I did not recognize, proceeded to play or sing acapella a couple Indian chants. The drummer relit the sage at one point and talked real close to the guy about all those he knew that died before him, that they were here with him - that he was not and will not be alone - the group was gentle respectful prayerful. It was one of those moments where you are struck by how good people can be - my hard heart was touched.

The man never came to sufficiently for me to even think about talking to him - maybe he will rebound tomorrow.
    I just wanted to share this unique and soul-filling experience - I feel blessed to have seen it.

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

I've got a whole catalog of human kindness stories from Thailand, but the first one was in my first month residing there.
    I got sick from the water or something, never really knew what it was.

These two little old ladies who lived across the street from me brought over monk water every night & coated my body with it.
    I had a rash all over my body.

Can't seem to find a photo of what the monk water looks like, but it's made by monks & it was brown water in small containers, almost like vials.
    I wasn't really believing the power of the water, but they did & I did get better.

They also brought me food, so later when I had little get-togethers out front (with food & booze) I'd invite them over.
    We had a lot of get-togethers, it's Thailand.

3. LHanson

LHanson Member

I can't imagine who would be playing at my bed at the end. Maybe I should work on that.

4. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

I've been present for a few Threshold Choirs. Some families and friends have made some pretty special and moving musical moments for their dying loved ones. It's episodes like those that keep you going.

Good stuff. I'm glad that you got to see that.

5. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Member

“Threshold Choir” - I had not heard of that term or practice - but agree as to its goodness.

6. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Wow, what a powerful story.

I'm with @LHanson , I wonder who would be at my deathbed playing music and talking to me softly?

FenderTone, A-Bone and Sidney Vicious like this.
  7. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Great story. Although it's all-too-often the ugly ones that get the coverage and command the headlines, I firmly believe that the vast majority of humanity is by nature caring and benevolent.

8. FenderTone

FenderTone Gold Supporting Member

Everyone please pardon levity in a thread with the subject content significantly important.

Yogi Berra was attributed to have said, "You should always go to other people's funerals, otherwise, they won't come to yours."

I think we know what he meant.

9. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

People who put their musical talents to the ultimate use.

https://thresholdchoir.org/Sacramento

HammyD, marktweedy, A-Bone and 2 others like this.
  10. RJLII

RJLII Member

Witnessing pure human kindness can be humbling. I think it gives all of us a reason to reflect on ourselves and how we choose to lead our lives. I know I can do better.

11. marktweedy

marktweedy In Transit®

Thanks for sharing that. I found it very moving.

12. robinson slick

robinson slick Member

Yes, our lives are so damned mental whereas pure human kindness transcends that and puts us back in touch with what seems so remote sometimes: real love. We can all do better, thanks for the reminder.

ant_riv likes this.
  13. frankie5fingers

frankie5fingers Member

[QUOTE="AaeCee... I firmly believe that the vast majority of humanity is by nature caring and benevolent.[/QUOTE]

And you'd be right. Don't let a anyone with a larger platform or voice louder than your own convince you otherwise.

Fuzzr, AaeCee and Washburnmemphis like this.
  14. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

Very glad to hear. Loneliness is the worst. If it wasn’t for my wife, I could be this guy too.

I wonder if Anthony Bourdain felt lonely traveling 250 days a year.

ant_riv likes this.
  15. HammyD

HammyD Member

Right after Christmas I lost my Worker's Comp Benefits due to my employer, lawyer and the insurance company. Things have been difficult. Friends have given money, food, even help with the yard. Everyone reached out. Having to sell everything not bolted down but the couch and the cats provides some perspective. Getting by on one meal a day does, too. (I needed to loose weight, anyway!)

I am not alone as apparently we have a pattern of behavior by the aforementioned. It will be resolved, eventually.

Most people are rather remarkable when it comes to helping.