• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

The Kingsley Page Tube Boost club

Fret-O'File

Silver Supporting Member
I've had the Page and Harlot for about a month. At first I didn't really get the Page. Then over the last few weeks I really started to dig it. It's sounds great at loud volume and has a great feel to it. It makes me wish I still payed in a band. Both the Page and Harlot must be killer live. Both sound great with a Strat and Les Paul. I got on the list over a year ago and thought they might not live up to the hype. I figured I would end up selling them and make a few bucks but I think I would regret selling either one now. Even if I just use them once a week when nobody is home and I can crank the hell out of my amps.

JackD

Platinum Supporting Member
I am on the list. I am getting the regular Page for sure, but am trying to decide is the DS is worth getting as well. I am not referring to using the DS in connection with a preamp (like the Maiden). I am thinking about it’s use as a boost like the regular Page. Are the different enough?

cbm

Gold Supporting Member
They are voiced a little differently, and the Page DS may have a little more gain. It may just seem like there's more gain in the DS because it's after the Maiden D in my setup. I love having a Page at the front of my chain, and a Page DS at the end of my dirt section. Stacking the Page into the Page DS is wonderful as well.

Have you seen the Kingsley demo of Page -> Page? It's a lovely combo, and the Page DS at the end works just as well.

I've had the Page and Harlot for about a month. At first I didn't really get the Page. Then over the last few weeks I really started to dig it. It's sounds great at loud volume and has a great feel to it. It makes me wish I still payed in a band. Both the Page and Harlot must be killer live. Both sound great with a Strat and Les Paul. I got on the list over a year ago and thought they might not live up to the hype. I figured I would end up selling them and make a few bucks but I think I would regret selling either one now. Even if I just use them once a week when nobody is home and I can crank the hell out of my amps.
Good to hear mate. Once i got these 2 pedals I started selling all of my other overdrives. Nothing else I’ve tried comes close

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
Tube pedals into solid state pedals are a no-go in all of the testing I've done.

SS pedals with a mid hump usually sound great into a Page but the best I've found and what I'm using now is Minstrel into Page.
I haven't found the Page or the Jester boost into my SS drives to be a problem at all, for me they work great, but I am mainly talking about the Hermida Mosferatu and the Timmy.

What are you finding with the tube pedals into the SS drives that you don't like?

Abram4235

I haven't found the Page or the Jester boost into my SS drives to be a problem at all, for me they work great, but I am mainly talking about the Hermida Mosferatu and the Timmy.

What are you finding with the tube pedals into the SS drives that you don't like?
They've just sounded congested, like trying to force a waterfall into a hose. Then again, I've typically found anything into a Timmy not great, I like it before other pedals to do the boosting. I wonder how much of this stuff is gear/amp dependent and how much is taste.

The SS pedals I can remember that I've tried after the page are OD808, mythical OD, black box 2, timmy, keeley bd2.

Last edited:

Fret-O'File

Silver Supporting Member
Good to hear mate. Once i got these 2 pedals I started selling all of my other overdrives. Nothing else I’ve tried comes close
There is something about the feel of them that makes them outshine other drive pedals, especially at very loud volume.
I want to check out the Jouster next. This is going to get expensive!
I will be keeping a few other drive pedals though, like my Barbers and Xotic Soul Driven because as good as the Kingsleys are, I prefer those others at low volume.

axdxm

Silver Supporting Member
They've just sounded congested, like trying to force a waterfall into a hose. Then again, I've typically found anything into a Timmy not great, I like it before other pedals to do the boosting. I wonder how much of this stuff is gear/amp dependent and how much is taste.

The SS pedals I can remember that I've tried after the page are OD808, mythical OD, black box 2, keeley, bd2.
I have owned and sold the Timmy so many times, it feels like Charlie Brown and Lucy with the football. I even bought and sold a Jan Ray, recently. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why so many love the Timmy. It sounds bad at high gain and the eq is very finnicky (really fine line between lost in the mix and ouch, that frequency hurts). I have tried it every way and with so many different setups and before/after. I want to experience the magic, but I have NEVER liked anything the Timmy gives (all due respect to Paul C). The Page seems to do what people claim the Timmy does...a true transparent boost.

All that said, you are right about gear/amp dependent. I'm sure the Timmy probably is awesome for certain people's setups and taste. I just personally could never jive with it.

Abram4235

I have owned and sold the Timmy so many times, it feels like Charlie Brown and Lucy with the football. I even bought and sold a Jan Ray, recently. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why so many love the Timmy. It sounds bad at high gain and the eq is very finnicky (really fine line between lost in the mix and ouch, that frequency hurts). I have tried it every way and with so many different setups and before/after. I want to experience the magic, but I have NEVER liked anything the Timmy gives (all due respect to Paul C). The Page seems to do what people claim the Timmy does...a true transparent boost.

All that said, you are right about gear/amp dependent. I'm sure the Timmy probably is awesome for certain people's setups and taste. I just personally could never jive with it.
Same for me. I've liked the Timmy as a boost but never as a drive and I sold it the last time in favor of the Page.

I just bought it again though. Every now and then I run into a situation where I want to boost an OD and the Timmy keeps entering my mind. This time it's the minstrel I want to boost. TBH, I'm not sure if I'll keep it or not. Used prices are kind of crazy right now. This is my 5th one. :facepalm

ToneIsKing55

Silver Supporting Member
In my experience, the Page loves being pushed by things, so depending upon your definition of "medium gain," I would say yes.
Are you referring to the Page DS? If so I agree as long as the 12AX7 is replaced with a lower gain variant. On the regular Page I’ve found that if it is pushed past edge of breakup it loses string articulation pretty fast and starts to compress a lot. If that is what the player is looking for then it’s great. I just don’t have a use for it myself.

cbm

Gold Supporting Member
Are you referring to the Page DS? If so I agree as long as the 12AX7 is replaced with a lower gain variant. On the regular Page I’ve found that if it is pushed past edge of breakup it loses string articulation pretty fast and starts to compress a lot. If that is what the player is looking for then it’s great. I just don’t have a use for it myself.
Sorry, I should have been more specific. Yes, the Page that I push with things is a Page DS. It's my the final thing in my dirt section, and can get pushed with a variety of things, including my regular Page.

blackba

Gold Supporting Member

The SS pedals I can remember that I've tried after the page are OD808, mythical OD, black box 2, keeley, bd2.
Interestingly on the timmy, I found it came alive for me when I ran it last of the dirt pedals and stacked other pedals into it. I used it for the longest time as a boost before other pedals though. I also found that 12V was my preferred setting for the timmy.

Of the pedals you listed, the OD808 I use as a boost and same with the Klone. Its been a while since I have used a Bluesbreaker style or BD2, so not as familiar with stacking for them.

I do think much of the differences we all experience with pedals is our rigs and playing style. I use more than 1 amp, so I do see how I have to change the pedal based on the amp and some amps just work better with some pedals than other. I don't typically use a tubescreamer with my vox or a Timmy with my Fender SF.

johnetone

The SS pedals I can remember that I've tried after the page are OD808, mythical OD, black box 2, timmy, keeley bd2.
This is my experience for the most part too. I almost feel ashamed putting any drive after my Harlot because of how perfect it is.

However, sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.

While you're talking about it, I recommend a Spaceman Saturn V or clone thereof highly for boosting your boost. But the Serf is looking mighty as well if you're on the list for one!

Abram4235

This is my experience for the most part too. I almost feel ashamed putting any drive after my Harlot because of how perfect it is.

While you're talking about it, I recommend a Spaceman Saturn V or clone thereof highly for boosting your boost. But the Serf is looking mighty as well if you're on the list for one!
Yep! Definitely on the list for a serf. Should be up for it in Sept or Oct. Thanks for the suggestion on the Saturn V. That one has been coming up more often lately so I might have to give it a shot.

johnetone

Yep! Definitely on the list for a serf. Should be up for it in Sept or Oct. Thanks for the suggestion on the Saturn V. That one has been coming up more often lately so I might have to give it a shot.
Man Saturn V is the best clean boost for me. It has so much to give. I use mine with the Boost at like 3:00 (high) and the Harmonics at like 8:30 (low). I don't think this is typical with most SV users. But it's a very robust sound and meshes well with my rig. It's almost always on.

Lupus87

Man Saturn V is the best clean boost for me. It has so much to give. I use mine with the Boost at like 3:00 (high) and the Harmonics at like 8:30 (low). I don't think this is typical with most SV users. But it's a very robust sound and meshes well with my rig. It's almost always on.
The Saturn V is near to impossible to find at decent prices nowadays. It's a real shame. I'm still hopeful.