• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

The Kingsley Page Tube Boost club

Lupus87

DeadEndFX has made a really great trace of the circuit and it sounds nearly identical to the SV. It's called a Flint. It has the magic. have a builder make one for you (I'm probably going to!).
Great! Thanks!

A few weeks ago I had opened a thread asking if there were enough people interested in asking Spaceman to reissue the Saturn V. At the end of the post I was also asking if anyone who had it wanted to sell it to me. But as it was posted in the wrong section, the entire thread was deleted.

skipper2101

Psssst. If you think that’s good, Wait till you try the other 2. ;)
You were correct, having spent time with the Harlot and Constable.
The Constable is so damn good.
I run the Constable into the Fryette PS2 as my alternate set-up and could not be more satisfied.
I use the Harlot and Page in my other alternate(at this point) set up.
Aside from now wanting all of Simon's pedal offerings, I am now experiencing the tones and dynamic range I have had in my head all along. Although there is no way to prove it, I feel that a lifetime of all tube stereo equipment has influenced my auditory perception regarding music.
Interestingly I have found my progress to be much more accelerated now that I am not encumbered by chasing what has been in my head. It is almost as if a switch has been thrown.
Now I just need another Page, one for each set up.
So damn good.

Last edited:

ToneIsKing55

Silver Supporting Member
You were correct, having spent time with the Harlot and Constable.
The Constable is so damn good.
I run the Constable into the Fryette PS2 as my alternate set-up and could not be more satisfied.
I use the Harlot and Page in my other alternate(at this point) set up.
Aside from now wanting all of Simon's pedal offerings, I am now experiencing the tones and dynamic range I have had in my head all along. Although there is no way to prove it, I feel that a lifetime of all tube stereo equipment has influenced my auditory perception regarding music.
Interestingly I have found my progress to be much more accelerated now that I am not encumbered by chasing what has been in my head. It is almost as if a switch has been thrown.
Now I just need another Page, one for each set up.
So damn good.
Dear Mrs Skipper,

We regret to inform you that your son has contracted Kingsley disease. This is an auditory tonal disease which can only be treated through the collection of all Kingsley pedals. The good news is that he is not in any imminent danger, however the denial of any Kingsley tones could send him into a relapse that can only be cured by a prescription for any pedals which he does not already own. We hope that his medical coverage will be of assistance in filling this prescription. :roll

skipper2101

Dear Mrs Skipper,

We regret to inform you that your son has contracted Kingsley disease. This is an auditory tonal disease which can only be treated through the collection of all Kingsley pedals. The good news is that he is not in any imminent danger, however the denial of any Kingsley tones could send him into a relapse that can only be cured by a prescription for any pedals which he does not already own. We hope that his medical coverage will be of assistance in filling this prescription. :roll
Now this is what TGP brothers are for.
Going to cc this to the wife and I am sure that she will be so understanding that I will be green lighted to purchase the entire Kingsley catalog, for treatment of course. Predictably I will be forcibly quarantined to the studio for recovery.
Talk about tonal nirvana.
I fail to see how this plan can fail, it's a win win.
Will report back with progress on my affliction. Lol

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
Where are you guys putting your Page in the chain?
Only tried it first and love it pushing the jester, Jouster, or hermida mosferatu. Still want to give it a go last. The page into the boost of the jester set to full range is very cool too.

Lupus87

Is someone pushing your Page to get similar results as using a Harlot standalone? Is that really possible?

Thanks!

ToneSter

Gold Supporting Member
New Page V2 owner and still loving it, two weeks in.
has anyone tried the Mesa Flux drive with the page?
I am looking for a darker voiced drive.
Currently using a blues breaker/POT derivative and a Landgraff-ts/clone, not replacing anything, just adding a 3rd drive.

Last edited:

Matt Griffin

Silver Supporting Member
Any thoughts on a Page with a Vox? Running an AC15C1 cranked to edge of breakup. What would you push a Page with? Currently thinking Fairfield Barbershop or Union Tube More.

ToneSter

Gold Supporting Member
50w 2204-ish circuit ~ clock references;
Page V2: ~ gain/10:30 - V/1:30 - tone/11:30 - Bass sw/on - Trbl sw/off ~ Xotic SL Drive: tone/11:30 - drive/8:30 - V/1:30
I'm not a big Xotic SL fan, pedal is a bit noisy and to me only has one function, this setting is what keeps the pedal on my board.
Cabs; 2x12 ported/Gold & Alnico Cream ~ 2x12 closed back/Redback & K100.
Old school Rock tone goodness, not a heavy drive tone, just bold, punchy, full/thick rock tone.

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
Just found this thread. My wait is over. I signed up for a Constable and an OD/boost-pedal-to-be-named-later. I'm really leaning toward a Page, but before ordering, I'd like to pick this group's collective brain.

I've seen a few videos with Simon, and I think TPS guys, in which he shows the Constable INTO the Page. Sounded incredible. I'm fairly certain it was a regular Page, and not a DS.

But I've also seen a lot of discussion in which people put the Page out in front, before other drive pedals - and obviously before preamps and/or amps (e.g., the Constable).

So can people here in the know explain a little bit how well and how versatile the Page is before AND after the Constable? I know I'm buying a Constable for reasons outside the scope of this thread. I'm just trying to understand the pre and post pros and cons of the Page.

And also, among the versions, which Page pairs best with the Constable ... and why?

Does the Page DS work well before other pedals/preamps, or is that more just a Page thing?

And finally, for a sanity check, am I completely off base anyway? Despite Dan from TPS's glowing comments on the Page. Should I be looking for a different Kingsley pedal to feed that Constable? In which case, I'd be out of scope of this thread and dumped back into that 605 page mega thread.

Looking forward to any and all responses. Thanks in advance to anybody that chimes in.

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
Oops, one more question.

I understand that the Page, at least the regular one, is a very nice low gain pedal. Tube pedal at that!

I currently have a Buffalo FX Carrera which is my all time favorite low-mid gain overdrive. I just think it's very good at what it does. I also have or have had a few other things kicking around that do low gain OD, although none are of the proper high voltage, tube variety: BYOC Silver Pony (Klone), MXR Timmy, Lovepedal Four Knob Deluxe, etc.

Maybe a silly question, but can any of you Page experts tell me what the Page does better than something like the Carrera or a Klone? Would one of those simple pedals FEED the Constable better, and maybe the Page would do better after (given it's amp-like topology)?

HiddenAgenda

San Francisco
Silver Supporting Member
Page is my favorite pedal it's like going from standard TV to sHD! Just got back on the list for a Page TS which comes in the Maiden box providing extra tone controls.
Be back in 8 months!:)

Also be sure to use a Cioks/True Tone power supply which makes a big difference from the stock adapter that it ships with.

apalazzolo

Gold Supporting Member
@RMosack One man's opinion:

Electric guitar styles, techniques, and rigs are so varied an complex it's really hard to answer most questions in the abstract and get it right the first time. Therefore, I think you just have to expect a trial and error process. In the past, people have just bought a pile of Kingsleys, found the 1, 2, or 3 they liked best and filpped the remainder. That's harder now, but many have had to do that to get it right.

My opinion is that I can mix solidstate and tube pedals but I always want tubes to be the thing that distorts, not transistors. Of course you can get great results putting a solidstate clean boost, clean eq, Klone, Tubescreamer, etc. before a Page or before a Constable to drive them into overdrive. The Page is very transparent so it lets the sound of the pedal before it shine through (usually adding some distortion to the mix).

A Page before a Page or before a Constable works fine too, but I kinda sorta consider that first Page to be overkill, especially if it stays totally clean (lots of solidstate pedals can do that).

A Constable into a Page is special combination b/c the Constable really is a Marshall preamp and that sets the authentic eq/sound (that's important to THAT sound and I don't think many other pedals can deliver THAT sound). When a Page follows it, the tube in that Page is the thing that distorts while letting the Marshally sound of the Constable to shine through.

Conversely, I would not use a Page or a Constable before a solidstate pedal b/c I generally don't want to overdrive a transistor. Likewise, I don't recommend any kind of boost before a Harlot b/c the first element in a Harlot is a transistor (the tube comes after that).

On it's own, the Page provides a super transparent, delicate and touch sensitive quality. Like this (not that I play anywhere near this well):

YMMV

Last edited: