The Kingsley Page Tube Boost club

Krausewitz

Just found this thread. My wait is over. I signed up for a Constable and an OD/boost-pedal-to-be-named-later. I'm really leaning toward a Page, but before ordering, I'd like to pick this group's collective brain.

I've seen a few videos with Simon, and I think TPS guys, in which he shows the Constable INTO the Page. Sounded incredible. I'm fairly certain it was a regular Page, and not a DS.

But I've also seen a lot of discussion in which people put the Page out in front, before other drive pedals - and obviously before preamps and/or amps (e.g., the Constable).

So can people here in the know explain a little bit how well and how versatile the Page is before AND after the Constable? I know I'm buying a Constable for reasons outside the scope of this thread. I'm just trying to understand the pre and post pros and cons of the Page.

And also, among the versions, which Page pairs best with the Constable ... and why?

Does the Page DS work well before other pedals/preamps, or is that more just a Page thing?

And finally, for a sanity check, am I completely off base anyway? Despite Dan from TPS's glowing comments on the Page. Should I be looking for a different Kingsley pedal to feed that Constable? In which case, I'd be out of scope of this thread and dumped back into that 605 page mega thread.

Looking forward to any and all responses. Thanks in advance to anybody that chimes in.
HEy man.

First off, this is not the right thread. Post it here:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...ley-pedal-club.1866198/page-605#post-30913833

You'll get a better response. Trust me.

Secondly, different people will have different opinions, but I'd wager that most people with a Constable and a Page have tried Constable > Page....but then chose to run it some other way.

Right now I run an EQ pedal with volume maxed into the Constable to provide gain. It works well, and frees up the Page for an edge of breakup sound. Works well for me. It sounded great going Constable > Page, but was too much of a sacrifice in flexibility for me. I have a Jester Sizzle on the way (should land in Blighty imminently) and I plan on using its boost to run into the Constable. Maybe that'll be the way forward. Not sure. For now, I'm happy.

Also, I'd strongly recommend a double plexi Constable. You lose nothing, but gain a functional second channel. For the Page I'd get a Page TS. There's basically no reason to ever get a normal Page V2 in my book. The TS does those sounds and many, many more.

Last edited:

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
HEy man.

First off, this is not the right thread. Post it here:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...ley-pedal-club.1866198/page-605#post-30913833

You'll get a better response. Trust me.

Secondly, different people will have different opinions, but I'd wager that most people with a Constable and a Page have tried Constable > Page....but then chose to run it some other way.

Right now I run an EQ pedal with volume maxed into the Constable to provide gain. It works well, and frees up the Page for an edge of breakup sound. Works well for me. It sounded great going Constable > Page, but was too much of a sacrifice in flexibility for me. I have a Jester Sizzle on the way (should land in Blighty immanently) and I plan on using its boost to run into the Constable. Maybe that'll be the way forward. Not sure. For now, I'm happy.

Also, I'd strongly recommend a double plexi Constable. You lose nothing, but gain a functional second channel. For the Page I'd get a Page TS. There's basically no reason to ever get a normal Page V2 in my book. The TS does those sounds and many, many more.
Thank you too! How does the TS differ from the regular Page?

Krausewitz

Thank you too! How does the TS differ from the regular Page?
The Page TS has a tonestack, so you can sculpt the EQ of the boost. You have some ability to do with with a Page V2 (you have tone controls, after all), but nowhere near as precisely.

Having the tonestack also opens up the possibility of adding an EQ lift. Since passive EQs suck a huge amount of gain (as I'm sure you know) the Page TS has a variable EQ lift footswitch which allows you to have a mids/volume boost on the Page TS that you can't with the normal V2.

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
The Page TS has a tonestack, so you can sculpt the EQ of the boost. You have some ability to do with with a Page V2 (you have tone controls, after all), but nowhere near as precisely.

Having the tonestack also opens up the possibility of adding an EQ lift. Since passive EQs suck a huge amount of gain (as I'm sure you know) the Page TS has a variable EQ lift footswitch which allows you to have a mids/volume boost on the Page TS that you can't with the normal V2.
Very interesting

bernm

For the Page I'd get a Page TS. There's basically no reason to ever get a normal Page V2 in my book. The TS does those sounds and many, many more.
I've seen references to the Page TS elsewhere, but it's not on the Kingsley site. Do you know much more the TS costs than the regular Page? I'm on the waiting list and this is definitely worth considering if the upcharge isn't too great.

Krausewitz

I've seen references to the Page TS elsewhere, but it's not on the Kingsley site. Do you know much more the TS costs than the regular Page? I'm on the waiting list and this is definitely worth considering if the upcharge isn't too great.
I'm sorry, I don't remember. I don't recall it being too much. Definitely worth it.

HiddenAgenda

San Francisco
Silver Supporting Member
Can I ask you to elaborate on that please? Is the stock adapter noisy?
Sure thing, when initially trying the Page with wall wart adapter I was sort of like what's all the fuss about? It's just boosting the volume big deal.
Then I thought don't do anything stupid like SELL it for god sake! Just my gut feeling. Then I thought okay 9V @ 500mA power requirements hmmm.
My Power Plus 2 doesn't do that so I ended up buying both True Tone and Cioks and it sounds a lot better to me with the upgraded power supply.

I'm not the best at describing this, but there's additional clarity and dimension, that tube tone..

The stock adapter is not noisy BTW. Just my opinion that it seemed to come to life with the True Tone supply.

Boogyin1979

Silver Supporting Member
What are fellow Page users stacking with their Page (or DS)? I was contemplating putting my Lightspeed first and then pushing that with a Page. Or do users suggest the Page as a first stage OD?

I’m on the waiting so I have to live vicariously through ya’ll.
I use a Serf -> passive splitter. One goes to my dry amp and the other goes through mod/time with a Page at the end right before hitting my wet amp. Lovely!

Chrishash

Gold Supporting Member
After never thinking I’d switch from having my Page v2 as my “always on” Boost/OD, I’ve currently taken a one way trip to ToanTown right now using the Effectrode BlackBird clean channel as my “always on” and the Page v2 pushing it, as the BEST (by far) low/low-med OD sound I’ve come up with. It’s gonna be hard to usurp this pair. I’m also using the Creamy/High Gain channel in the Effectrode as my High gain/fuzz- 2 pedals, 3 footswitches, 4 vacuum tubes and I’m in absolute Bliss.

radioboyeric

What did you end up finding worked best to push the Page?

Lightspeed is great, but I was thinking a drive that retains a lot of the low end may not be ideal for this.
I ended up going back to my Snouse Blackbox V2 > Barber Gain Changer > Lightspeed > Catalinbread epoch Boost. Magic stuff going on there. With the Page, I had a lot of low drive redundancy.

Larsenpeople

Hello,
I run mine after gain and modulation, before delay. Just about everything sounds better through it, so it's always on.
I was contemplating this idea :
What if I could use an expression pedal to set the volume ? That would be so convenient.

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
Hello,
I run mine after gain and modulation, before delay. Just about everything sounds better through it, so it's always on.
What if I could use an expression pedal to set the volume ? That would be so convenient.
Just put a volume pedal after it. Wouldn’t that do the same thing?

aaronjcurtis

Silver Supporting Member
Sure thing, when initially trying the Page with wall wart adapter I was sort of like what's all the fuss about? It's just boosting the volume big deal.
Then I thought don't do anything stupid like SELL it for god sake! Just my gut feeling. Then I thought okay 9V @ 500mA power requirements hmmm.
My Power Plus 2 doesn't do that so I ended up buying both True Tone and Cioks and it sounds a lot better to me with the upgraded power supply.

I'm not the best at describing this, but there's additional clarity and dimension, that tube tone..

The stock adapter is not noisy BTW. Just my opinion that it seemed to come to life with the True Tone supply.
I have a Page inbound and was going to use a Voodoo Lab Current Doubler cable out of outputs 5 & 6 to get the 500mA. I’ll compare with the provide power adapter and see what the difference is. I think the power from Voodoo Labs is clean enough. I hope anyway!

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
Hello,
If you are willing to drill holes for a switch and an extra jack, this would probably be very easy. Otherwise I would think you would need a push pull volume pot and then a trs output jack. Without a schematic it’s going to take some figuring out. I know the gain knob is in between the two gain stages, not sure where the volume is at exactly.

Hugh Manitee

Just got mine today... oh boy!

I've previously had the Harlot, and although this is noticeably lower gain, it seems to not have any "fizzy" quality at higher Gain knob settings. What I really love about Simon's pedals is how subtle yet effective all the controls are, esp. EQs. For example, the low cut (mini-toggle) tightens things up at higher Gain just enough, without making higher-register single notes thin and strident.

And then the overall distortion character - so smooth, natural, and responsive feeling under the fingers (truly "amp-like"). Finally, I've found the perfect pedal, along with Pettyjohn's Lift Mk.II, for seamlessly & transparently emulating a higher gain channel of whatever amp I'm using!

bernm

along with Pettyjohn's Lift Mk.II, for seamlessly & transparently emulating a higher gain channel of whatever amp I'm using!
Do you mean that you're running the Lift into the Page into the amp?

I'm looking forward to my Page more when I read these posts. Mine was ordered late last year but seems to have been stuck with Canada Post for a while before finally moving internationally a few days ago.

Hugh Manitee

No, using either/or on my two-amp pedal board.

Pedal Pad board consists of:
Pettyjohn Crush > Page (or Lift) > ST-300 Turbo Tuner > GigRig ABY-Baby

The Page and Lift Mk.II are extremely similar in both controls and tone, including clipping/distortion character.

Trending Topics