The Kingsley Page Tube Boost club

Lupus87

No, using either/or on my two-amp pedal board.

Pedal Pad board consists of:
Pettyjohn Crush > Page (or Lift) > ST-300 Turbo Tuner > GigRig ABY-Baby

The Page and Lift Mk.II are extremely similar in both controls and tone, including clipping/distortion character.
Have you tried the Lift into the Page? I also have a Page v2 and want a Lift to use it as both a preamp/booster as a sort of the FET stage on the Harlot when used in front of the Page to achieve higher gain tones.

Thanks!

Hugh Manitee

No, but given:
A. The massive output/headroom of the Lift
B. How similar the Page & Lift Mk.ii are (two Page in series is a well-liked combo)
C. The Lift's MOSFET-based clipping circuit (presumably similar to the FET-equipped Minstrel/Harlot)...

I can't imagine that would do anything other than RAWK your socks off!

Drybell Unit67 also work incredibly well to boost the Page for more distortion.

Last edited:

dpgreek

Silver Supporting Member
I have owned and sold the Timmy so many times, it feels like Charlie Brown and Lucy with the football. I even bought and sold a Jan Ray, recently. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why so many love the Timmy. It sounds bad at high gain and the eq is very finnicky (really fine line between lost in the mix and ouch, that frequency hurts). I have tried it every way and with so many different setups and before/after. I want to experience the magic, but I have NEVER liked anything the Timmy gives (all due respect to Paul C). The Page seems to do what people claim the Timmy does...a true transparent boost.

All that said, you are right about gear/amp dependent. I'm sure the Timmy probably is awesome for certain people's setups and taste. I just personally could never jive with it.
have you tried v3? I hated Timmy. Had it 2-3 times. When I finally got a v3 and used as intended (boosting a dirtyish Marshall) thats when I had the a-ha moment. V3's controls work interactively with the gain knob, so it's a little different. Now, i have it as s low gain boost in front of Constable. I also hit Constable with Barber GC and Naga Viper clone... great tones!

Just found this thread. My wait is over. I signed up for a Constable and an OD/boost-pedal-to-be-named-later. I'm really leaning toward a Page, but before ordering, I'd like to pick this group's collective brain.

I've seen a few videos with Simon, and I think TPS guys, in which he shows the Constable INTO the Page. Sounded incredible. I'm fairly certain it was a regular Page, and not a DS.

But I've also seen a lot of discussion in which people put the Page out in front, before other drive pedals - and obviously before preamps and/or amps (e.g., the Constable).

So can people here in the know explain a little bit how well and how versatile the Page is before AND after the Constable? I know I'm buying a Constable for reasons outside the scope of this thread. I'm just trying to understand the pre and post pros and cons of the Page.

And also, among the versions, which Page pairs best with the Constable ... and why?

Does the Page DS work well before other pedals/preamps, or is that more just a Page thing?

And finally, for a sanity check, am I completely off base anyway? Despite Dan from TPS's glowing comments on the Page. Should I be looking for a different Kingsley pedal to feed that Constable? In which case, I'd be out of scope of this thread and dumped back into that 605 page mega thread.

Looking forward to any and all responses. Thanks in advance to anybody that chimes in.
Ive had a Page DS twice. First time, I was getting similar tones with something else, so I flipped it. This last time, I loved it in front of Constable. It was so good. I tried it after the Constable and felt like I lost some of the Marshall goodness. The last in line is usually what the tone characteristic is. I wasn't thrilled with DS after. I actually bought it to go after Maiden D..as an overdrive. I ran it that way for a bit. However, I had Page ODS with 1 toggle. There was this low mid you couldn't dial out, even on the most transparent toggle. That wasn't too bad if you adjusted the toggle and mids knob of Maiden, but the dealbreaker was the volume taper. It was like a fender amp.... theres a sweet spot you have to find. Otherwise, the volume jump was high. It was hard to get a slight bump or even unity. I felt like I was always balancing volume and gain nonstop. I felt like it did a good job as a drive, but ultimately I recently sold. Id recommend TS to anyone moving forward. The TS will have that flexibility and EQ.

Last edited:

pete12string

Silver Supporting Member
Just got mine today... oh boy!

I've previously had the Harlot, and although this is noticeably lower gain, it seems to not have any "fizzy" quality at higher Gain knob settings. What I really love about Simon's pedals is how subtle yet effective all the controls are, esp. EQs. For example, the low cut (mini-toggle) tightens things up at higher Gain just enough, without making higher-register single notes thin and strident.

And then the overall distortion character - so smooth, natural, and responsive feeling under the fingers (truly "amp-like"). Finally, I've found the perfect pedal, along with Pettyjohn's Lift Mk.II, for seamlessly & transparently emulating a higher gain channel of whatever amp I'm using!
Did you get the regular Page or did you go with the TS? I’ll be up towards the end of February and I have been going back and forth between regular and TS.

Lupus87

No, but given:
A. How similar I find the Page & Lift Mk.ii (two Pages in series is a well-liked combo)
B. The massive output/headroom of the Lift
C. The Lift's Harmonic Drive is partially MOSFET-based (presumably similar to the FET-equipped Minstrel/Harlot)...

I can't imagine that would do anything other than RAWK your socks off!

Drybell Unit67 also work incredibly well to boost the Page for more distortion.
I needed to read that! My thinking was similar, it looks like a great combo. Thanks! ;)

I've got a demo of the Page going live on Sunday - I'll try to remember to post it here. It's a really special pedal...genuinely think if I could only have one OD for the rest of my life it'd be the Page. Works with anything...'feels' as lovely as it sounds.

That said though, I shot another video yesterday (which won't be out until nearer the end of Feb) comparing the Page to two Effectrodes....the Fire Bottle and Tube Drive (with a selection of lower-gain tubes in it, to bring it more in line with the Page's single 12AX7). There really wasn't much between them at all...the FB and Page can both push the front end of an amp in a very similar way; and the TD was almost sonically the same as the Page - though of course it's designed to handle much more gain than I was giving it with an AT7 and 2x AU7's (Gain factor of 100 vs. it's standard 260) so the output volume had to be dimed. Slight differences in the low end between them; and they have pretty different tone controls (Page has a low-pass filter; TB has a Baxandall)...but if you can only get hold of one or the other, you be very very happy with either!! Kingsley & Effectrode really are comparable in quality and sonics.

bernm

I've got a demo of the Page going live on Sunday - I'll try to remember to post it here. It's a really special pedal...genuinely think if I could only have one OD for the rest of my life it'd be the Page. Works with anything...'feels' as lovely as it sounds.

That said though, I shot another video yesterday (which won't be out until nearer the end of Feb) comparing the Page to two Effectrodes....the Fire Bottle and Tube Drive (with a selection of lower-gain tubes in it, to bring it more in line with the Page's single 12AX7). There really wasn't much between them at all...the FB and Page can both push the front end of an amp in a very similar way; and the TD was almost sonically the same as the Page - though of course it's designed to handle much more gain than I was giving it with an AT7 and 2x AU7's (Gain factor of 100 vs. it's standard 260) so the output volume had to be dimed. Slight differences in the low end between them; and they have pretty different tone controls (Page has a low-pass filter; TB has a Baxandall)...but if you can only get hold of one or the other, you be very very happy with either!! Kingsley & Effectrode really are comparable in quality and sonics.
I used to have a Tube Drive - wish I hadn't passed that one along! Quick question, Perky. This may be answered in one of your videos, of course, but in the meantime: How does the Page boosted (i.e. a boost into a Page) compare with the Tube Drive running its standard higher gain tubes?

I used to have a Tube Drive - wish I hadn't passed that one along! Quick question, Perky. This may be answered in one of your videos, of course, but in the meantime: How does the Page boosted (i.e. a boost into a Page) compare with the Tube Drive running its standard higher gain tubes?
Hmm..not 100% sure, as I haven't run the TD with 'standard' tubes since I bought it! Way too much gain for me, so I usually use NOS tubes with lower gain factors. I've only had the Page since NY Eve so I haven't compared the two until yesterday. I'd imagine they'd sound pretty similar with a full frequency boost going into the Page - especially a tube boost, like the Fire Bottle. The TD is essentially 3 tube stages cascaded, so a tube boost would be doing a pretty similar job - and most of the gain would then be coming from the Page's 12AX7, so 'proper' tube breakup with the Page's EQ, etc. It'll completely depend what you're boosting the Page with though....a Klon would make it sound more snarly; a TS would soften the attack and boost the low mids, etc. But I reckon you could get them sounding similar :)

I would guess that at very high gain though, boosting into the Page might overload that single 12AX7 and cause it to over-sag and sound more 'blocky'...though that's just a vaguely estimated guess! I might try making a video about boosting the Page at some point though...it could be an interesting one :)

Last edited:

Grendel2000

Silver Supporting Member
Hey Joe,

I find it doesn't actually - Running a Drybell Unit67 into the Page with Gain at or near max. neither overly compressed nor sounded 'fizzy' the way some preamp tube-based gain pedals do. The Page boosted just sounds like a cranked amp with preamp AND power stage clipping, and the Unit67's frequency adjustment features (especially mid-range control) works really well.

One thing is that the Page seems to have a decent bit of headroom, meaning, in addition to more clipping/distortion when boosted, it also passes along some of the boosted output/volume from the Unit67 to the amp*. I've decided to use the Page on my two-amp board (GigRig ABY-Baby board), where it sounds incredible boosting an already gained-up Bartel Sugarland. The Page is a boost itself after all...

On my main "mono" board I've got the Unit67 running into a Buffalo TD-X; an incredible combo as well.

*The ultra-high headroom Pettyjohn Lift Mk.ii really does this, and is better for boosting something else, rather than being boosted for more clipping.

Love the Celestion Alnico speaker demo videos BTW!
I (sadly) sold off a Unit 67 in the run of Kingsley purchases I needed to fund (Constable JTM/Plexi, Harlot v3, Jester v2 and Page v2). I may buy another in the future however!

Meanwhile, I too own (and love) a TD-X! I've been using it quite a bit lately WITH my Kingsleys too! Wheras I used to use it on it's own or boosted (with the Unit 67 pre-Kingsley) with the Gain around 10-12 o'clock, I've found it works great with the Kingsleys as a sort of "accent/finisher" at low gain settings.

I keep the Gain on the TD-X just below the 9 o'clock position and it's does some really cool things with the Page and the Harlot in particular. With the Page it adds girth and a little extra dirt. Having never played an actual Tube Driver, I kinda feel like the combo gets pretty damn close - the Page lends the "tube feel" and dynamics and the TD-X gives it the TD tone/EQ.

Same deal with the Harlot but at (much) higher gain (obviously). The TD-X adds a different edge and just makes the whole setup sound HUGE in combination with the Harlot. VERY cool!

Have you experimented with the using the TD-X in combination with your Kingsleys? If so I'd love to hear about it!

Hugh Manitee

Did you get the regular Page or did you go with the TS? I’ll be up towards the end of February and I have been going back and forth between regular and TS.
Regular Page, as I liked the idea of the simple mini-toggles. I knew from experience with the Harlot that Simon really knows how to straddle the line between subtlety and effectiveness when it comes to his EQ controls and filtering. The high and low cuts, and tone knob work together very intuitively - very easy to balance/compensate to get the exact tone you're looking for. The Page is only superficially a simple pedal.

Would be very interested to try the TS, DS, and "J" versions as well though.

Last edited:
Here is the demo video as promised:

I made this video yesterday (though it won't be out for a couple of months...I'm v. ahead of myself atm!) As semi-predicted, the Page keeps up up to a point, but eventually the single 12AX7 does begin to overload and become more of a fuzz! :)

blackba

Gold Supporting Member

I made this video yesterday (though it won't be out for a couple of months...I'm v. ahead of myself atm!) As semi-predicted, the Page keeps up up to a point, but eventually the single 12AX7 does begin to overload and become more of a fuzz! :)
Great demo as usual Joe, finally subscribed. Do you find that if you push the gain too high it loses its articulation? I didn’t hear that much in your video, but you never ran the gain up all the way that I saw either. Your video reminds me that I need to fiddle with my page more, I typically set my pedals and then don’t move the knobs much, they just fill a certain role.

I loaned my buddy my page, sure hope I get it back. He is loving it through his 65 AC30.

Great demo as usual Joe, finally subscribed. Do you find that if you push the gain too high it loses its articulation? I didn’t hear that much in your video, but you never ran the gain up all the way that I saw either. Your video reminds me that I need to fiddle with my page more, I typically set my pedals and then don’t move the knobs much, they just fill a certain role.

I loaned my buddy my page, sure hope I get it back. He is loving it through his 65 AC30.
Ah thanks pal :) Not so much, no...I mean, it's more saturated so it's always going to be a bit woolier and harmonically rich by definition, and tubes do have that inherent sponginess and 'sag' to them, but the articulation in the Page is some of the finest I've ever come across for any OD - not just a tube OD. It's so responsive to picking dynamics that you can hammer the hell out of it (like I seem to do 99% of the time...:oops:) and it sounds meaty and ballsy, but then you just ease back on the brute force a little and it cleans up enough to still be super defined. The Highs control is great for adding sharp pick attack to keep definition but without being too harsh.

I shot a video yesterday where I had the Page dimed (which I should have done in the demo...I just did a few different takes and ended up using ones where I didn't quite get there!) and it was still very clear sounding. Just a wonderful pedal all round, really!

If you mate doesn't give it back...time to send in the cavalry! :p

SlaminSam

Silver Supporting Member
OK, so I have a Maiden BF and I love it. What Page should I get to go with it? Regular, DS or TS or ?

pedalo

Hi Joe having already convinced me to get a Golden Horse I now want to get one of these!!

I’m interested to know your thoughts on purchasing this vs the Page DS.

Hi Joe having already convinced me to get a Golden Horse I now want to get one of these!!

I’m interested to know your thoughts on purchasing this vs the Page DS.
Excellent choice on the Golden Horse!! I've not played the DS I'm afraid - but I believe it's designed to be boosted into by a Squire DS for the 'complete' Dumble front end type thing. Running it standalone, it's pretty much the same as the standard Page, but with slightly less bass & treble/a more mid-rich sound....or so Simon says! :p

Trending Topics