The Kingsley Page Tube Boost club

pedalo

Excellent choice on the Golden Horse!! I've not played the DS I'm afraid - but I believe it's designed to be boosted into by a Squire DS for the 'complete' Dumble front end type thing. Running it standalone, it's pretty much the same as the standard Page, but with slightly less bass & treble/a more mid-rich sound....or so Simon says! :p
Yeah can’t wait for the Horse to show up! Have also requested to go on the waiting list for a Royale just in case it’s amazing :)

Ok so the DS is more suitable for using it as an actual preamp and the regular one better for front of amp? Makes sense. Think I’ll get the same. There is one on eBay but not into the price so I’ll get myself on the 7 month waiting list!

ToneIsKing55

Silver Supporting Member
Excellent choice on the Golden Horse!! I've not played the DS I'm afraid - but I believe it's designed to be boosted into by a Squire DS for the 'complete' Dumble front end type thing. Running it standalone, it's pretty much the same as the standard Page, but with slightly less bass & treble/a more mid-rich sound....or so Simon says! :p
I think you meant Maiden D as there is no such pedal as a squire DS (there is a squire D however). The regular Page and Page DS are completely different animals, they are voiced very differently, and the DS has a lot more gain and is a true Preamp and not a boost. As you mentioned it is meant to be the overdrive section of a Dumble preamp, which the clean section cascades into. As I’ve said many times I really wish Simon had named the Page DS something different as it’s a constant point of confusion.

Yeah can’t wait for the Horse to show up! Have also requested to go on the waiting list for a Royale just in case it’s amazing :)
The Royale????? Is that a new Kingsley, as I haven’t heard of that one yet.

Ah nice one...I saw Guillem has that coming out...looks mega! And trust me...the Golden Horse IS amazing! :p

I think you meant Maiden D as there is no such pedal as a squire DS (there is a squire D however). The regular Page and Page DS are completely different animals, they are voiced very differently, and the DS has a lot more gain and is a true Preamp and not a boost. As you mentioned it is meant to be the overdrive section of a Dumble preamp, which the clean section cascades into. As I’ve said many times I really wish Simon had named the Page DS something different as it’s a constant point of confusion.

The Royale????? Is that a new Kingsley, as I haven’t heard of that one yet.
Ah...yes, I probably did! :p As you say, it all gets a bit confusing!!
The Royale is a new Decibelics pedal, not Kingsley...essentially, 2x Golden Horse Klon circuits in one enclosure. :)

pete12string

Silver Supporting Member
I asked this same question on the huge Kingsley thread, but since it is specific to the Page, I’m posting here as well.
How many of you Page owners swap out the original 12AX7? What were you looking to change and what did you end up with?

Sammicus15

Just got my Page a couple weeks ago and I love it. Stacks well with everything I've paired it with - EQD Plumes, Boss FZ-3, MXR Timmy - and sounds great on its own no matter how the knobs are set. Definitely an always-on pedal for me, and lately I've really been enjoying a stripped-down rig with a Tele--Page-- Catalinbread Echorec--amp. Beautiful simplicity.

Krausewitz

I asked this same question on the huge Kingsley thread, but since it is specific to the Page, I’m posting here as well.
How many of you Page owners swap out the original 12AX7? What were you looking to change and what did you end up with?
I wanted more presence.

I put in an old Tung-Sol from the late 50’s (my go-to tube for increasing sparkle).

Matt Griffin

Silver Supporting Member
I was and I went back to the Maiden D, but I think I will be back and forth.
Would love to hear your experiences with both!

Although now I’ve already gone and done it, and ordered a custom 2x Page v2 Marauder from Simon. So I’ve already made my choice for this round. :D

duende

Silver Supporting Member
Page could be the perfect pedal, so open and dynamic. Love the tone... only thing is that it has this zippy high end with my rig, that I can't dial out. :/

Kills my ears at times.. had to put it up for sale. On the fence though... :(

Daverij

Page could be the perfect pedal, so open and dynamic. Love the tone... only thing is that it has this zippy high end with my rig, that I can't dial out. :/

I guess you have version one without the high cut switch? If so you can have a tech make one, or do the mod inside the pedal.

Matt Griffin

Silver Supporting Member

Do you have the v1? V2 has both high cut switch and a LPF of sorts. Really takes care of the ice picky stuff with my Tele.

duende

Silver Supporting Member
I have the V2. Even with the high cut engaged, it still has the issue. :(

Tabor

Silver Supporting Member
zippy high end with my rig, that I can't dial out. :/
That seems odd to me. Between the high cut and the tone knob I remember finding it easy to make the Page sound dark and even muffled. I struggled to get it to maintain frequencies in the upper mids and high end. I felt like I could sculpt what was left and even make it harsh like you describe but there were always sections of the spectrum up there that got de-emphasized...

...but you could also try a JJ or other “warmer” tube instead of the Tungsol.

Boogyin1979

Silver Supporting Member
I was and I went back to the Maiden D, but I think I will be back and forth.
Two sounds that have really blown me over lately are the left side of Gladio into Page v2 and Maiden D into Page v2. Maiden D is acting as arguably the most expensive EQ pedal I can think of but it just cannot be beat into the front of a nice clean platform. Use it into everything from a Trinity Tramp and Trinity Triton to a Quilter TB202 and it just doesn’t get any better.

I used it for a long time on a Modeling board, into the FX loop but just live it hitting the preamp.

Grendel2000

Silver Supporting Member
Looking for some fresh perspective on how I might use my Page v2. Don't get me wrong - I love it - I just find that I use it on it's own more than anything as a edge of breakup kinda thing and I know I could be using it in other places and applications in my rig. When I bought it I did so along with a Constable intending to run them as Simon did one of his demo videos with Constable > Plexi. I've gone away from that - here's what I'm doing presently and "why":

Jester v2 > Page v2 > Harlot v3 > Constable JTM/Plexi

Jester: I put it up front because I love the boost and I want that available to push any of the Kingsleys downstream of it. Slight downside here is I have nothing in front of the Jester to push its OD side.

Page: I can run it here relatively clean as a tone enhancer or get nice crunch if I kick in the Jester's boost.

Harlot: I generally run it by itself but can also leverage the Jeter's boost when running single coils.

Constable: Lately I've been using the Constable more than any of the others, mainly as my core OD (Jester boost > Constable) and sometimes without the boost, but the non-boosted tone is really just a different flavor form what I get from the Page and I like them both - they're just different.

So how and where might YOU use a Page v2 in my setup? Help me see options I'm not coming up with on my own please.

Trending Topics