The Kingsley Pedal Club

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Vishnu, Sep 15, 2017.

1. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

If I could afford the PT-15, or RedPlate Magica, I'd snag it and be done. I also have a wife who isn't fond of large gear purchases...=) I use a Two Notes Captor right now with my Splawn Supersport...its the way to go for recording and silent. I do have an HX stomp and dialed in some good sim stuff...but it doesn't hold a candle to real amp through reactive load. II can't bond with the shared eq any more. I've looked into Ceriatone as well, but to be honest.... Kingsley stuff sounds so great. With a Fryette power section and my scumback in a cab...I feel like it might be best of both worlds. I'm in that what the hell do I do phase which I've been down so many times (clean amp with pedals to shape, preamps into power amps / sims, all digital (did that...no thanks), two combos, two heads / one cab)...blah blah...

2. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

and the manure goes in the garden, win win

zztomato likes this.
  3. ToneIsKing55

ToneIsKing55 Supporting Member

Not a lot, as what little time I’ve had with it has been using it as a regular pedal. So far I prefer the other dedicated preamps to the Jester as a preamp, but that probably because I haven’t used it much like that. In reference to your question, Simon sent me the user guide yesterday which had the following information on using it as a preamp. I believe scenario #2 and 3 address your question.

The 3-way mini switch on the back of the pedal adds extra volume output and clarity to the output of the overdrive channel, making it suitable for preamp use. Set the mini switch downwards for preamp use and upwards for front of amp use. When set to the middle position, the output is the same as in the preamp mode, but the mids are smoother sounding. As with the regular Jester, the mids get darker and smoother the higher the mid pot is rotated.
    Note that for preamp use, if an even brighter response is needed, turning up the mid pot above noon (with the mini switch set downwards) can be quite effective.
    Of course, you can also use mode 2 and 3 for front of amp use for brighter and louder tones – experiment and see which mode works best for your setup.
    Setup tips:
    Note that if you are using the Jester Custom as a preamp, you can run the Boost and Overdrive in a couple of ways:

Scenario 1- Use the Overdrive channel as a preamp and then use the boost as a post overdrive volume boost, using mode 1 or mode 2. Note that when operated this way, there is no effective clean preamp tone;

Scenario 2 – Use the Boost as a clean preamp using boost mode 3, then switch the Boost off and activate the Overdrive channel on it’s own, also set to preamp mode;

Scenario 3 – Use the Boost as a clean preamp using boost mode 3, but when switching to the Overdrive channel, leave the Boost on. In this scenario, because the Boost is being used as a preamp, you can leave the Jester Overdrive channel in front of amp mode. The resultant overdrive tone will still effectively sound like a preamp because the Boost is after the OD and is set to preamp mode. This way of running things makes a lot of sense, as you get your clean preamp tone and an effective overdrive channel and only have to turn one footswitch on/off to toggle between the two sounds (as opposed to scenario 2, which requires turning the clean channel off before accessing the overdrive channel).

Take time to experiment and find your preferred settings. The Jester Custom is very versatile and has many tones if you take the time to learn it’s capabilities

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    AceBSpankin, blackba and Chandyland like this.
  4. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

*out of breath hamster*

Faster faster, Tony is about to solo FFS

johnetone, AceBSpankin and apalazzolo like this.
  5. Chandyland

Chandyland Member

Thanks for posting this. Sounds very promising.

Be sure to let us know how it goes if you test it out in scenario 2 or especially scenario 3.

6. apalazzolo

apalazzolo Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I'm going for another 12 bars!

7. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

Just out of shot there is one having a cigarette break

8. ToneIsKing55

And all that time we thought the squeak and squeal in you solos was from the D style pedal and now we find it’s from the poor rodents forced to power your rig

AceBSpankin likes this.
  9. apalazzolo

I don't like where this is headed so let me proactively say that these hamsters have never been and will never be used Richard Gere style. Just sayin'.

10. axdxm

axdxm Supporting Member

That's when they kick it up a Gere.

11. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

12. ToneIsKing55

Good to hear, dirty power can cause brownouts and make your pedals sound like crap

johnetone, AceBSpankin and apalazzolo like this.
  13. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

The Cioks DC7 is probably your best bet as it can do 500mA at 12VDC. For my pedalboard the jacks on the long side make this problematic for fitting under the riser of my flat NYC pedalboard. I am suing a Y-IEC cable and just plugging in the included power supply.

HiddenAgenda likes this.
  14. apalazzolo

That's REALLY funny ...

ToneIsKing55 likes this.
  15. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

email tonight from SJ

Jester custom, serial number 008 on it's way
    Serf, serial number 002 :) on it's way

I've ordered up a new PS, the old PP2+ has served me well but it's time to move on

If i am 1st to get my hands on the Serf i will get some nice pics up

So, the whole font row of my board will now read Kingsley...... i have 2x set ups (interchangeable middle two pedals on same board)

1st set up...The Serf / Jouster V2 / Harlot V3 / Page
    or
    The Serf/ Jester custom / Minstrel / Page

The Page in my set up has multiple uses...either as a simple solo boost or, with a pedal in front driving it, an OD in it's own right or with high volume low gain, a SLAMMER for the front end of a tube amp ( this works really well BTW)

Now if i can just manage to sneak this new gear in the front door without the wife noticing........

16. ItJustRocks

ItJustRocks Gold Supporting Member

Thanks guys - I decided to go for the Minstrel and confirmed that order with Simon today.

17. leighianson

leighianson Member

Awesome stuff. I'd be really keen to hear your thoughts on the Serf. I have just gotten my hands on a Page V2 to go with my Jester and Harlot V3. I've also been thinking about selling my Jester and going for a Minstrel and Serf instead.

18. HiddenAgenda

HiddenAgenda Member

:beer

19. rambleon

rambleon Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

That's awesome!
    PS? PP2+? Elaborate please!

dpgreek likes this.
  20. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

hahahah everyones done that one. I think I may even muster the sac tonight to ask about buying my dream amp..haha

ToneIsKing55 likes this.