The Kingsley Pedal Club

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Vishnu, Sep 15, 2017.

1. leonelh7

leonelh7 Member

Does anybody know what the wait time is for amps? I signed up for one in 2016 and haven’t heard back.

2. 2tone

2tone Silver Supporting Member

Supposedly 4 to 6 years!! I signed up in 2016 too..

3. apalazzolo

apalazzolo Supporting Member

Same.

4. leonelh7

leonelh7 Member

:omg:omg:omg

Might as well get a Jester Custom and call it a day. I been wanting a tone baron.

Abram4235 likes this.
  5. apalazzolo

apalazzolo Supporting Member

There's a Bastion for sale on Reverb right now ... for a mere $3500!

AceBSpankin likes this.
  6. Montroller

Montroller Member

Speaking of Reverb, it seems all of a sudden there’s quite the influx of Kingsley gear.

7. ToneIsKing55

ToneIsKing55 Supporting Member

I’m assuming the Jester Custom has the boost after the OD, so I was wondering if you got the standard Jester boost or the Jester Custom boost?

8. leonelh7

leonelh7 Member

It might start lowering the used prices.

Yeah I saw that. Crazy prices. The Jim Kelley stuff is very similar.

9. archtop

archtop Member

Can anyone comment on the Jester Custom... with the sizzle control can it approximate the character of the Harlot?

Apologies if this has already been covered.

AceBSpankin likes this.
  10. ToneIsKing55

I haven’t played a Harlot in a long time, and the last one I tried was a V1, but from what I recall it’s not quite there, but it’s a pretty decent approximation. The sizzle, along with the other features, makes it the most versatile of the FOA pedals

AceBSpankin likes this.
  11. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

BOTH Jesters, custom and standard,now have the boost after the OD, SJ ran into some problems with his new JC and pre OD boost so for foreseeable future both Jesters will remain this way

AceBSpankin likes this.
  12. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

This is making me wonder whether SJ might consider a stand-alone version of the OD side of the Jester... even just mode 1 would be enough imo... might not need the full TMB setup either.

I've noticed the same thing with the Jester OD side (and actually all Kingsley ODs I've tried).
    Fuzz pedals sound... well... different (?) into the Kingsley pedals.

I guess it's kind of like how fuzz pedals can sound pretty different depending on the amp, speakers, and pickups etc but the Kingsley ODs tend to make fuzz pedals sound more tame, smoother and less clear which is rarely what I'm looking for.

I usually use the Barbershop as an edge-of-breakup OD and it maintains the character of any fuzz very well.
    As an alternative OD voice though the Jester is probably my favorite of the Kingsley pedals I've played.

I went with the Squire BF over the Maiden. I like the simplicity too; didn't figure I needed a mids knob or the MV situation. Squire is also less expensive and I like the color better... I've been really happy with the results running it directly into the FX loop return of a Quilter 101 mini.

13. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

Tabe baby

I just realised when trying out my new Jester custom last night that it can hang with the Harlot, it can definitely keep up.

although i have had the regular Jester for some years i think i had forgotten just how much gain it is capable of

blackba and Tabor like this.
  14. Chandyland

Chandyland Member

I'm like 90 percent sure the Jester OD side uses 3 triodes, so it would need a pair of tubes... or it would need a JFET stage. And that would end up being basically the current Minstrel.

BerkeleyJones and Tabor like this.
  15. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

Yeah, the Jester has plenty of gain available (way more than I need - if I'm going for high gain I'm usually using a Fuzz).
    Maybe the Minstrel is already pretty similar to a standalone version of the Jester OD as @Chandyland suggested but I heard more of a mid-focus in the Minstrel than I hear out of the Jester. The tone controls on these pedals give you lots of options but also each pedal seems to maintain its own identity... I bet the Harlot and Jester still sound different from each other even when you have them gained up like that.

Anyway... so glad I finally got a Jester. I just went for the standard; tried and true and seems like the classic Kingsley pedal to me if there is such a thing.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  16. ToneIsKing55

Yes I’m aware that the Custom has the boost after the OD. I was actually the one that discovered the issue and sent it back for repair. My question was about whether your Jester Custom has the JC boost or if you got it with the standard Jester boost as they are different. The Jester Custom boost was modified to push the OD side, but since the boost on the Custom is now after the OD I was curious if you had a standard boost put into yours.

BerkeleyJones likes this.
  17. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

Chanders......^ that makes sense, the Jester with the boost engaged is more or less the framework for the Minstrel

Minstrel = a Jester with the boost always on

AceBSpankin and Chandyland like this.
  18. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

ah, it's the boost EQ you be talkin' about :)

Mine is the modified :) JC boost

Mode 1 - flattest boost (same as original Jester boost mode 1)
    Mode 2 - slight mid boost (same as original Jester Boost mode 3)
    Mode 3 - bright boost. This mode is new and is brighter than the old Jester bright boost and equal in output to the mid boost mode. This mode is also nice as a stand alone preamp mode, for those who would like to use the Jester as a preamp.

One of the modes was dropped from the custom as it was ideal for pre OD ( high mids Marshally) but too harsh for post OD ( but still available as an option as i understand)

19. Chandyland

Chandyland Member

If possible, clips of this clean preamp sound would be greatly appreciated.

Actually, clips of everything would be greatly appreciated!!

20. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

^ That's Simon's quote.....i don't do pre amps :)

AceBSpankin and Chandyland like this.