The Kingsley Pedal Club

ToneIsKing55

Supporting Member
Look what turned up today :)

The Serf brought along a companion pedal to help with size comparisons :)

I’m assuming the Jester Custom has the boost after the OD, so I was wondering if you got the standard Jester boost or the Jester Custom boost?

archtop

Can anyone comment on the Jester Custom... with the sizzle control can it approximate the character of the Harlot?

Apologies if this has already been covered.

ToneIsKing55

Supporting Member
Can anyone comment on the Jester Custom... with the sizzle control can it approximate the character of the Harlot?

Apologies if this has already been covered.
I haven’t played a Harlot in a long time, and the last one I tried was a V1, but from what I recall it’s not quite there, but it’s a pretty decent approximation. The sizzle, along with the other features, makes it the most versatile of the FOA pedals

Vishnu

I’m assuming the Jester Custom has the boost after the OD, so I was wondering if you got the standard Jester boost or the Jester Custom boost?
BOTH Jesters, custom and standard,now have the boost after the OD, SJ ran into some problems with his new JC and pre OD boost so for foreseeable future both Jesters will remain this way

Tabor

Supporting Member
It's especially nice with the Jester which can now be goosed from the front or the back, which of course results in two different outcomes/tones
It's been said that the Serf is basically the boost side of the Jester
This is making me wonder whether SJ might consider a stand-alone version of the OD side of the Jester... even just mode 1 would be enough imo... might not need the full TMB setup either.

I've tried a Timmy and a GE7 boosting the Jester OD channel. Both sound really good. I do not, however very much like the sound of a Fuzz pushing the Jester. Like most ODs, it gets kinda mushy and overly compressed. The boost side of the Jester does sound good with a fuzz, though.
I've noticed the same thing with the Jester OD side (and actually all Kingsley ODs I've tried).
Fuzz pedals sound... well... different (?) into the Kingsley pedals.

I guess it's kind of like how fuzz pedals can sound pretty different depending on the amp, speakers, and pickups etc but the Kingsley ODs tend to make fuzz pedals sound more tame, smoother and less clear which is rarely what I'm looking for.

I usually use the Barbershop as an edge-of-breakup OD and it maintains the character of any fuzz very well.
As an alternative OD voice though the Jester is probably my favorite of the Kingsley pedals I've played.

I’ve been changing my order with Simon for some time and while I was on the list for a Maiden BF, I believe I might switch it to a Squire, mostly because I love simplicity and the base settings on the Squire are more in line with the Princeton which I love.
I went with the Squire BF over the Maiden. I like the simplicity too; didn't figure I needed a mids knob or the MV situation. Squire is also less expensive and I like the color better... I've been really happy with the results running it directly into the FX loop return of a Quilter 101 mini.

Vishnu

Tabe baby

I just realised when trying out my new Jester custom last night that it can hang with the Harlot, it can definitely keep up.

although i have had the regular Jester for some years i think i had forgotten just how much gain it is capable of

Chandyland

This is making me wonder whether SJ might consider a stand-alone version of the OD side of the Jester... even just mode 1 would be enough imo... might not need the full TMB setup either.
I'm like 90 percent sure the Jester OD side uses 3 triodes, so it would need a pair of tubes... or it would need a JFET stage. And that would end up being basically the current Minstrel.

Tabor

Supporting Member
Tabe baby

I just realised when trying out my new Jester custom last night that it can hang with the Harlot, it can definitely keep up.

although i have had the regular Jester for some years i think i had forgotten just how much gain it is capable of
Yeah, the Jester has plenty of gain available (way more than I need - if I'm going for high gain I'm usually using a Fuzz).
Maybe the Minstrel is already pretty similar to a standalone version of the Jester OD as @Chandyland suggested but I heard more of a mid-focus in the Minstrel than I hear out of the Jester. The tone controls on these pedals give you lots of options but also each pedal seems to maintain its own identity... I bet the Harlot and Jester still sound different from each other even when you have them gained up like that.

Anyway... so glad I finally got a Jester. I just went for the standard; tried and true and seems like the classic Kingsley pedal to me if there is such a thing.

Last edited:

ToneIsKing55

Supporting Member
BOTH Jesters, custom and standard,now have the boost after the OD, SJ ran into some problems with his new JC and pre OD boost so for foreseeable future both Jesters will remain this way
Yes I’m aware that the Custom has the boost after the OD. I was actually the one that discovered the issue and sent it back for repair. My question was about whether your Jester Custom has the JC boost or if you got it with the standard Jester boost as they are different. The Jester Custom boost was modified to push the OD side, but since the boost on the Custom is now after the OD I was curious if you had a standard boost put into yours.

Vishnu

I'm like 90 percent sure the Jester OD side uses 3 triodes, so it would need a pair of tubes... or it would need a JFET stage. And that would end up being basically the current Minstrel.
Chanders......^ that makes sense, the Jester with the boost engaged is more or less the framework for the Minstrel

Minstrel = a Jester with the boost always on

Vishnu

Yes I’m aware that the Custom has the boost after the OD. I was actually the one that discovered the issue and sent it back for repair. My question was about whether your Jester Custom has the JC boost or if you got it with the standard Jester boost as they are different. The Jester Custom boost was modified to push the OD side, but since the boost on the Custom is now after the OD I was curious if you had a standard boost put into yours.
ah, it's the boost EQ you be talkin' about :)

Mine is the modified :) JC boost

Mode 1 - flattest boost (same as original Jester boost mode 1)
Mode 2 - slight mid boost (same as original Jester Boost mode 3)
Mode 3 - bright boost. This mode is new and is brighter than the old Jester bright boost and equal in output to the mid boost mode. This mode is also nice as a stand alone preamp mode, for those who would like to use the Jester as a preamp.

One of the modes was dropped from the custom as it was ideal for pre OD ( high mids Marshally) but too harsh for post OD ( but still available as an option as i understand)

Chandyland

This mode is also nice as a stand alone preamp mode, for those who would like to use the Jester as a preamp.
If possible, clips of this clean preamp sound would be greatly appreciated.

Actually, clips of everything would be greatly appreciated!!