The Kingsley Pedal Club

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Vishnu, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Chandyland

Chandyland Member

If possible, clips of this clean preamp sound would be greatly appreciated.

Actually, clips of everything would be greatly appreciated!!

2. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

^ That's Simon's quote.....i don't do pre amps :)

AceBSpankin and Chandyland like this.
  3. axdxm

axdxm Supporting Member

Minstrel = somewhat of a Jester with a FET boost PRIOR, correct?

Chandyland likes this.
  4. axdxm

axdxm Supporting Member

To each their own, but using Kingsley preamps has totally changed my life

2tone, ToneIsKing55, MeisterD and 2 others like this.
  5. Chandyland

Chandyland Member

You can think of it that way. It's basically just a 3 gain stage overdrive where the first gain stage (the one that doesn't really distort much) is a JFET stage.

I believe the original Minstrel was a 4 gain stage overdrive with 2 tubes where the last stage was effectively the same as the Jester boost circuit turned to unity gain, so it was very similar to a Jester with the boost always on.

When Simon revised his pedal lineup with the current DC power supply, he made the Minstrel what it is now. I believe the current design was intended to be as close as possible to the sound of the original Minstrel but with the understanding that 1 tube pushed by a JFET stage will definitely sound different than 2 tubes.

Tabor, AceBSpankin and axdxm like this.
  6. Abram4235

Abram4235 Supporting Member

I'm starting to think the Jester I tried was a dud. That pedal had no gain whatsoever. I'll probably get a custom in a month or so and I'll know for sure.

BerkeleyJones and AceBSpankin like this.
  7. rambleon

rambleon Silver Supporting Member

Agreed. I've been through various versions of his regular OD pedals and all I'm left with is the Constable preamp and the Jouster V2 pushing that. Don't get me wrong, I love all the Kingsleys I've played but I can't justify having then sit around unplayed when I could sell them to fund other purchases.

poppy527 and Abram4235 like this.
  8. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

If i got into the pre amps with the same passion i have shown for the regular ODs it would totally change my life too..........I would be sleeping in a strange room by the end of the week

Fret-O'File and AceBSpankin like this.
  9. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

In this KPC thread we have the pre amp mob and the OD team....and that's cool :)

:aok

johnetone, rambleon, axdxm and 3 others like this.
  10. sonichronic

sonichronic Supporting Member

I used to be apart of the preamp mob... though I gave em up for two glorious amps that make me drool daily.

my next order (which I can actually make soon here as I postponed waiting for jouster enclosures) is going to bring me into the OD club because I'm making a new pedalboard.

btw... I haven't been here to visit the club in awhile.
    I heard somewhere that the jouster was completely nixed can someone confirm? @ToneIsKing55
    'cause if it was, I guess I'm not waiting for anything and I can go ahead and make my order.

also
    who has the Bard?
    I'm falling in love with Harmonic tremolo and I'm hoping buying a Bard will stop me from buying a Brownface amp.

AceBSpankin and BerkeleyJones like this.
  11. leonelh7

leonelh7 Member

What amps did you get? I will be getting the Bard next week, so I will let you know.

12. ToneIsKing55

ToneIsKing55 Supporting Member

I don’t believe he nixed the Jouster. I think he’s just not offering it until it can be redesigned, but I’ve got a feeling that’s going to be a ways down the road, so you may want to go ahead and order something off the current menu and hop on the list for when the Jouster might be available.

I picked up a Bard a bit ago and love it. It’s a tube bias trem though, not a harmonic trem. The depth knob range is the only issue I have with it (I wish it was narrower as it goes from barely noticeable to really choppy in a short distance). Sounds absolutely amazing though

AceBSpankin and JumpinBradFlash like this.
  13. BerkeleyJones

BerkeleyJones Member

May have been? Jester mode 3, to my ears, is a fire breather. Simon claims the new Jester is the pedal with the MOST available gain. I’d have to have someone else confirm? But of course we all hear different things, such is life!

14. trap

trap Supporting Member

Got a Harlot V3 on the way! Psyched!

15. poppy527

poppy527 Supporting Member

Recently got a Maiden BF and compared it to my squire BF. Wow !! BOTH sound incredible. Even though they have the common Blackface foundation, they are different.

The Maiden definitely offers more flexibility with the mid control, volume / master and eq lift, yet the Squire is so simple as a plug/play and has a special round sweetness to it.

I've only had a day or so with both, yet, I am going to have a hard time deciding which to keep. Who knows, maybe I'll keep both ( one for live board and the other for the home studio.

Anyone else have experience playing both the Squire BF / Maiden BF ??

19BCG87, Montroller, MeisterD and 2 others like this.
  16. leighianson

leighianson Member

Congrats and enjoy, I love mine

trap and AceBSpankin like this.
  17. Montroller

Montroller Member

I’m currently on the list for the Maiden bf but am thinking I may go Squire. While emailing Simon he said the internals on the Squire are closest to a Princeton or Deluxe Reverb. I’m a simple guy and if I can get that sweet bf tone from a more basic package, I’m all in. Not sure the mids knob would be worth while for me since none of the amps it is intended to emulate have one.

poppy527 likes this.
  18. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

On distinction between the Squire series and the Maiden series that is often overlooked is the addition of the Master control on the Maiden. On the Squire, once you crank the preamp to get it really cooking, the output is screaming hot.

If what you're after is a Fender on, say 2-4, the Squire is great, but if you like the sound of a Fender with the input cranked up, the Squire can be harder to tame than the Maiden.

blackba, axdxm, MeisterD and 2 others like this.
  19. trap

trap Supporting Member

I have had a V2 for over a year now and I love it. Figured I could get more flexibility with the V3.

johnetone likes this.
  20. axdxm

axdxm Supporting Member

Great point! I had ideas that you could always add mids by backing off the Treble and Bass on the Squire and compensating with the volume control (or the inverse for subtracting) so I was thinking of getting a Squire if I couldn't find a Maiden. But the Master Volume feature would actually be extremely useful to me.