The Kingsley Pedal Club

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Vishnu, Sep 15, 2017.

1. axdxm

axdxm Supporting Member

This is something I threw together just as a quick n dirty demo. For home recording, I have been using the Constable into a Two Notes CAB direct into the computer (traditional Preamp into Power Amp/Cab Sim). For the hell of it, I tried using the Minstrel alone as a Preamp into the CAB (w/CAB input setting as "Line Level" in instead of Guitar Level) and I am loving it! It doesn't make any sense, because the Minstrel is guitar level out, but I was surprised at how great this combination worked. The EQ range on the Minstrel is so extreme, it is so easy to dial in whatever you are shooting for. For the demo (please don't judge, lol) I tried to show some of the versatility of some different sounds from each section. I have had a problem with other recording direct solutions, because the pick attack and palm muting are usually weird. With the Minstrel, I had absolutely none of these problems and the touch sensitivity and reactivity with the CAB made it extremely fun. I actually ran the bass through the Minstrel/CAB as well. Enjoy!

2. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

BeeJay

That's interesting that you say that. I have had the Jester V2 for some time and recently upgraded to the custom and don't ever recall the V2 havin' this amount of gain

I think I said in one of my early custom reports that i did not remember the gain on V2 to be so high

Must look into this. The same thing happened though with the Harlot V3 i got,i thought there was more gain but was just my imagination

Abram4235 and AceBSpankin like this.
  3. Chandyland

Chandyland Member

Sounds fantastic. I'm not too surprised actually. Kingsley pedals are more "guitar level" than actually guitar level.

You have to remember they're still full voltage tube preamps, and they only become guitar level because he optimizes the output stage to feed a guitar amp. If you crank the output, they'll still have plenty of oomph.

Primus DuPont, AceBSpankin and axdxm like this.
  4. mxk116

mxk116 Silver Supporting Member

Wonderful demo; thanks for sharing. Enjoyed the fact that you used a variety of guitar tones and they all sound good.

What you are doing is exactly what I intended to accomplish with my Constable as the preamp (some complementary pedals in front) into a Two Notes Cab-M for live applications. I'm trying to minimize my gear to just a pedal board live. I've been able to leave my cab at home using a guitar head or PS2 into a Suhr RL/IR. That has worked nicely but the Cab-M should be able to take it one step closer to an amp-less, cab-less rig. Very cool.

blackba likes this.
  5. apalazzolo

apalazzolo Supporting Member

That demo was good until 1:12 ... then it was great! Love that riff!

AceBSpankin likes this.
  6. Atrain_dlp

Atrain_dlp Member

Are any of you using a Kingsley preamp with the Torpedo CAB M for a power amp/cab sim to run direct? If so, how’s it working out?

7. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

I'm using a Kingsley Maiden D / Page DS setup with the older Torpedo CAB pedal, and this setup has been working great for me.

Atrain_dlp likes this.
  8. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Finally got a chance to try my page as the last drive pedal. It did great with a pedal like my klone or tubescreamer pushing it, but generally not that great with a gained up drive pedal like the Jouster, bogner red, or hermida mosferatu into it. With a pedal set to more gain, it sounded more fizzy and a bit mushy.

The jester set to low gain into the page was pretty cool, but pretty similiar to the jester with the boost on.

So I am going with the page in the front, well actually after the Klone which is my buffer. Considering I already have a space open on the board after my drives, this will mean rearranging, but I think it will be worth it. Will post a picture when it’s done.

Still to check is the harlot v1 with rca 12au7 versus the page.

AceBSpankin, Abram4235 and apalazzolo like this.
  9. Abram4235

Abram4235 Supporting Member

Name came up yesterday! They seem to have gained some ground because it's been less than a year's wait (9/12/18).

What I have incoming:

Harlot v3
    Jester custom
    Constable
    Constable jcm800
    Serf

What I have already:

Harlot custom
    Page v2
    Minstrel v2

I was contemplating a bard but I've never been much of a trem guy. I like it when others use it but it makes me feel sea sick when I use it.

10. shawnerie

shawnerie Member

Works perfectly. I run the maiden bf into the cab m with power sim and the tones are great !

Atrain_dlp likes this.
  11. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

I'm sure this has been discussed but...
    Those with the Harlot V3, who have also owned the old Harlot, does the V3 offer sounds that you couldn't get with previous versions?

AceBSpankin likes this.
  12. Abram4235

Abram4235 Supporting Member

The Harlot has to be my favorite pedal of all time. I've owned every version and I'll make a post when the v3 comes in.

13. poppy527

poppy527 Supporting Member

Ive been comparing a harlot v2 with a Harlot v3. They sound different, yet not radically different.

To me, Mode 2 on Harlot v2 and v3 mode 2 sound very similar. However, the v2 Harlot mode 3 with Gm switch feels more dynamic / open vs the "more"( which can get congested when used with semi-dirty amp ) .. I feel the V3 has a bit more top end / bite and the v2 seems more fluid. It could be just the variances in the pedals ( components /tubes).

In the above application, I am using the Harlot as a true overdrive to push my solos. I use a vintage Marshall set to break up and a Page for a little extra juice on the base tone, then Harlot for leads. However, i will say , If using the constable plexi, or Maiden ( clean platform ) and asking Harlot to add more gain to base tone, the Harlot v3 provides a better tone tone and then the "more" switch is awesome for leads. So I guess it depends on applications.

Sorry for such a lengthy post. Just trying to be helpful and share my experience. Lastly, just to throw it out there, I also have a jouster, and with the 12ay7 Mode 1 OD1 sounds identical to the Harlot v3 . :)

I hope its ok with Simon .. but here is a quote from the man himself when I asked about if the circuit changed ( between v2 / v3) as some have reported the v3 is fuller / open ( which I did not find was the case, yet wanted to know how different the circuit are when my name comes up).

====================
    From Simon --
    "The V3 Harlot is not fuller sounding than the V2. Any differences noticed would have been due to the tube or variations in components. The circuits are the same except for the 3-way highs switch and the built in gain mode switch. The middle amount of bass is achieved with different caps than on V2, but the full bass position uses the same cap value."
    ====================

14. poppy527

poppy527 Supporting Member

Often so inspired by @BerkeleyJones posts of his gigs / venues .. I am sharing the great Kingsley pedals and all those that get to hear how great these pedals are. :) .. I’ve never been so Inspired nor had such great tones, especially in live setting — these pedals just sing, cut and make you want to play better.

Page v2 / harlot v2.

And to give perspective of the attendance .

15. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

That's exactly what I was after. Thanks.

AceBSpankin likes this.
  16. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

Did you know .......................that the Jester custom is true bypass?

I didnae

As you were

17. AceBSpankin

AceBSpankin Prince of Ales Supporting Member

Aren't all Kingsley's true bypass?

Abram4235 likes this.
  18. Atrain_dlp

Atrain_dlp Member

Thanks for chiming in! Hoping I can build an ampless pedal board rig around the constable to run direct. How are the included IRs in the CAB M?

19. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

I know V2 was hard wire bypass and the Harlot is TB but as for the others.....

AceBSpankin likes this.
  20. BerkeleyJones

BerkeleyJones Member

Dude Epic!! How did you set your Page/Harlot / into what amps?

AceBSpankin likes this.