The Kingsley Pedal Club

axdxm

Supporting Member
Here’s a little prototype song I am working on. This time I ran all the guitar and bass through the Harlot into the Two Notes CAB into the computer. I did use a digital envelope filter/phaser effect and mild delay on some parts, but no extra eq or processing in the mixing. Just used a mastering plugin to glue it together. The Harlot works as a killer preamp for direct recording with the CAB!!

poppy527

Supporting Member
Dude Epic!! How did you set your Page/Harlot / into what amps?

Page = everything set around 12:30
Harlot = gain at 1 o'clock, volume and treble around 2 o'clock

For this gig, I used vintage Marshall 2203 into a 212 cab, set just to break up .. the page pushes the amp into a nice warm biting crunch and then Harlot for leads. It sound glorious. Nothing like those vintage Marshalls with Drake transformers ... :)

Ill try to upload a few clips .. its amazing how well this set up cuts thorough the mix.

poppy527

Supporting Member
Here’s a little prototype song I am working on. This time I ran all the guitar and bass through the Harlot into the Two Notes CAB into the computer. I did use a digital envelope filter/phaser effect and mild delay on some parts, but no extra eq or processing in the mixing. Just used a mastering plugin to glue it together. The Harlot works as a killer preamp for direct recording with the CAB!!
This recording grabs ya from the opening .. and keep you there .. the ears easily follow and then curious what you're gonna do next .. well done !!

ToneIsKing55

Supporting Member
Very nicely done. Definite shades of shakedown street in a very cool way.

blackba

Really enjoyed the song, sounded killer. I have been wanting to go the preamp into the cabM route, but always thought I needed a preamp of which I would probably go with the constable. Now I may have to try my harlot through my friends nux ss5 and see how it does. What are your harlot settings?

BerkeleyJones

Page = everything set around 12:30
Harlot = gain at 1 o'clock, volume and treble around 2 o'clock

For this gig, I used vintage Marshall 2203 into a 212 cab, set just to break up .. the page pushes the amp into a nice warm biting crunch and then Harlot for leads. It sound glorious. Nothing like those vintage Marshalls with Drake transformers ... :)

Ill try to upload a few clips .. its amazing how well this set up cuts thorough the mix.
Glad it’s working for you. Sounds like a big, bold sound with no hiding and no fear!

axdxm

Supporting Member
Really enjoyed the song, sounded killer. I have been wanting to go the preamp into the cabM route, but always thought I needed a preamp of which I would probably go with the constable. Now I may have to try my harlot through my friends nux ss5 and see how it does. What are your harlot settings?
I think I was on mode 2, drive at 11:00, bass setting on max for bass, lowest setting for guitar. Tone at 10:00. Volume enough to push the Two Notes power amp sim a little for character. I left it like that and used volume control on guitar for all tones, adjust tone control as needed. 76 Strat, American J Bass.

ellsworthman

The Geezer of Gear
Silver Supporting Member
There's been some great looking and sounding new pedals here! Can anyone tell me how the Crucible compares to a Fryette Power Station? I'm a few weeks out on the Crucible, I'm trying to decide if I need it...I'm buying it regardless, just curious how others who have both have found them.

caballero59

Supporting Member
There's been some great looking and sounding new pedals here! Can anyone tell me how the Crucible compares to a Fryette Power Station? I'm a few weeks out on the Crucible, I'm trying to decide if I need it...I'm buying it regardless, just curious how others who have both have found them.
Not your question precisely but it is one of the most valuable Kingsleys that I have had. I'm using it with the internal reactive load in the effects loop to warm up the Atomic Amplifire. The Amplifire Plexi model with the loop send level cranked up to push the the Crucible is one of truest Marshal tones I have ever obtained.

Last edited:

blackba

I think I was on mode 2, drive at 11:00, bass setting on max for bass, lowest setting for guitar. Tone at 10:00. Volume enough to push the Two Notes power amp sim a little for character. I left it like that and used volume control on guitar for all tones, adjust tone control as needed. 76 Strat, American J Bass.
Very cool, this has my wheels turning on using one of my Kinglsey ODs into the Cab sim. My harlot is a V1 with an internal bass but, but I only have the highest bass and middle bass, so hopefully that will work. I am now going to call it the Harlot V1.5 :)

I am wondering how the V2 Jester would work as a preamp. Really trying to avoid getting back on the list, even though a Jester Custom would be right up my alley.

Chandyland

Very cool, this has my wheels turning on using one of my Kinglsey ODs into the Cab sim. My harlot is a V1 with an internal bass but, but I only have the highest bass and middle bass, so hopefully that will work. I am now going to call it the Harlot V1.5 :)

I am wondering how the V2 Jester would work as a preamp. Really trying to avoid getting back on the list, even though a Jester Custom would be right up my alley.
Based on the "new bright boost" @Vishnu described, I'm honestly wondering if I even need a Jester Custom anymore. If Simon could just make me a Jester V2 with the new bright boost, I think I'd be set.

axdxm

Supporting Member

Just try it! The Two Notes has EQ anyway if the extra bass is a dealbreaker. There are no rules!

To be clear though...I don't think the OD's would work well as just a regular preamp into an effects return. Who knows though, with a boost and EQ if maybe that might not work as well?

ToneIsKing55

Supporting Member

Finally got time this weekend to throw together a small board using the Jester Custom. I just reused an old board I made a while back, until I have time to make a new one, but I did add the patch bays to run wet/dry.

In regards to the Jester Custom, this is much different than the other Kingsley pedals I’ve used. When I first tried it I noticed that it did not take the SunLion very well, but I left it on for a few hours to try to burn in the tube a bit and it seems to be getting much more agreeable with fuzz. The other thing I noticed was how LOUD this pedal is. Running this FOA, if I turn the gain up enough to get some grit (around noon) the volume has to be turned WAY down to about 7:00. I remember on my V1 Minstrel and my page that I could get the volume up MUCH higher. I’m not sure if this is a side effect if it being able to run preamp duty but this really surprised me and limits the usability a bit. Wondering how others have found the JC in this regard. It’s a great sounding pedal but I keep thinking that maybe I should have gone with a 800 version of the constable for this board as I’m more used to working the preamps.

It also seems as if the boost side is not affected by the preamp switch which kind of surprised me. I had assumed that the output of the OD and the boost would have both been hotter in preamp mode, but it appears that only the OD side is affected. It is workable though as you can turn up the boost (in mode 2 for the right EQ) and get a good clean tone that is hot enough for preamp duty. The issue is that if you hit the boost with the OD section like this it’ll blow the roof off.

In the end though I’m just happy I don’t have to cart around the mothership any longer

Vishnu

TIK55

that's interesting what you say about the custom, I've already emailed SJ about my new JC. I asked if the new custom pedal had more "oomph" I guess by this i meant volume, and i thought i noticed an increase in gain too but he assures me there is no difference to the regular V2s

I think the new Jester has secretly been eating steroids

Trending Topics