The Kingsley Pedal Club

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Vishnu, Sep 15, 2017.

1. caballero59

caballero59 Member

Don't neglect considering the Crucible. It was custom and perfectly designed for a direct rig using the internal reactive load and line out to an IR. Using the 1 watt speaker output is certainly it's least valuable utility, at least based on my testing.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    Atrain_dlp and mxk116 like this.
  2. axdxm

axdxm Supporting Member

Here’s a little prototype song I am working on. This time I ran all the guitar and bass through the Harlot into the Two Notes CAB into the computer. I did use a digital envelope filter/phaser effect and mild delay on some parts, but no extra eq or processing in the mixing. Just used a mastering plugin to glue it together. The Harlot works as a killer preamp for direct recording with the CAB!!

2tone, joevacc, BerkeleyJones and 4 others like this.
  3. poppy527

poppy527 Supporting Member

Page = everything set around 12:30
    Harlot = gain at 1 o'clock, volume and treble around 2 o'clock

For this gig, I used vintage Marshall 2203 into a 212 cab, set just to break up .. the page pushes the amp into a nice warm biting crunch and then Harlot for leads. It sound glorious. Nothing like those vintage Marshalls with Drake transformers ... :)

Ill try to upload a few clips .. its amazing how well this set up cuts thorough the mix.

4. poppy527

This recording grabs ya from the opening .. and keep you there .. the ears easily follow and then curious what you're gonna do next .. well done !!

axdxm and AceBSpankin like this.
  5. ToneIsKing55

ToneIsKing55 Supporting Member

Very nicely done. Definite shades of shakedown street in a very cool way.

axdxm likes this.
  6. apalazzolo

apalazzolo Member

Yeah, it's cool that he's mixing tones like paints on a canvas.

axdxm and ToneIsKing55 like this.
  7. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Really enjoyed the song, sounded killer. I have been wanting to go the preamp into the cabM route, but always thought I needed a preamp of which I would probably go with the constable. Now I may have to try my harlot through my friends nux ss5 and see how it does. What are your harlot settings?

axdxm likes this.
  8. BerkeleyJones

BerkeleyJones Member

Glad it’s working for you. Sounds like a big, bold sound with no hiding and no fear!

9. BerkeleyJones

BerkeleyJones Member

Gratuitous sound check Kingsley pic :)

10. poppy527

@BerkeleyJones ..Love the gratuitous Pic .. look at the stadium !!! awesome !

And Yes .. definitely .. .no hiding , no fear !!

Abram4235, dpgreek and BerkeleyJones like this.
  11. BerkeleyJones

BerkeleyJones Member

The Page is one of those pedals that gives back exactly what you give it. Nice rig sir!

AceBSpankin and poppy527 like this.
  12. johnetone

johnetone Member

Did you already review your Harlot purchase? I was curious how you like it.

AceBSpankin and BerkeleyJones like this.
  13. axdxm

axdxm Supporting Member

I think I was on mode 2, drive at 11:00, bass setting on max for bass, lowest setting for guitar. Tone at 10:00. Volume enough to push the Two Notes power amp sim a little for character. I left it like that and used volume control on guitar for all tones, adjust tone control as needed. 76 Strat, American J Bass.

blackba, AceBSpankin and ellsworthman like this.
  14. ellsworthman

ellsworthman Supporting Member

There's been some great looking and sounding new pedals here! Can anyone tell me how the Crucible compares to a Fryette Power Station? I'm a few weeks out on the Crucible, I'm trying to decide if I need it...I'm buying it regardless, just curious how others who have both have found them.

AceBSpankin likes this.
  15. caballero59

caballero59 Member

Not your question precisely but it is one of the most valuable Kingsleys that I have had. I'm using it with the internal reactive load in the effects loop to warm up the Atomic Amplifire. The Amplifire Plexi model with the loop send level cranked up to push the the Crucible is one of truest Marshal tones I have ever obtained.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    mxk116, AceBSpankin and ellsworthman like this.
  16. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

*swoon*

BeeJay i have that ARDX20 it's a great piece of kit......do you not have the companion Amazeo pedal ?

17. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Very cool, this has my wheels turning on using one of my Kinglsey ODs into the Cab sim. My harlot is a V1 with an internal bass but, but I only have the highest bass and middle bass, so hopefully that will work. I am now going to call it the Harlot V1.5 :)

I am wondering how the V2 Jester would work as a preamp. Really trying to avoid getting back on the list, even though a Jester Custom would be right up my alley.

18. Chandyland

Chandyland Member

Based on the "new bright boost" @Vishnu described, I'm honestly wondering if I even need a Jester Custom anymore. If Simon could just make me a Jester V2 with the new bright boost, I think I'd be set.

19. axdxm

axdxm Supporting Member

Just try it! The Two Notes has EQ anyway if the extra bass is a dealbreaker. There are no rules!

To be clear though...I don't think the OD's would work well as just a regular preamp into an effects return. Who knows though, with a boost and EQ if maybe that might not work as well?

blackba likes this.
  20. ToneIsKing55

ToneIsKing55 Supporting Member

Finally got time this weekend to throw together a small board using the Jester Custom. I just reused an old board I made a while back, until I have time to make a new one, but I did add the patch bays to run wet/dry.

In regards to the Jester Custom, this is much different than the other Kingsley pedals I’ve used. When I first tried it I noticed that it did not take the SunLion very well, but I left it on for a few hours to try to burn in the tube a bit and it seems to be getting much more agreeable with fuzz. The other thing I noticed was how LOUD this pedal is. Running this FOA, if I turn the gain up enough to get some grit (around noon) the volume has to be turned WAY down to about 7:00. I remember on my V1 Minstrel and my page that I could get the volume up MUCH higher. I’m not sure if this is a side effect if it being able to run preamp duty but this really surprised me and limits the usability a bit. Wondering how others have found the JC in this regard. It’s a great sounding pedal but I keep thinking that maybe I should have gone with a 800 version of the constable for this board as I’m more used to working the preamps.

It also seems as if the boost side is not affected by the preamp switch which kind of surprised me. I had assumed that the output of the OD and the boost would have both been hotter in preamp mode, but it appears that only the OD side is affected. It is workable though as you can turn up the boost (in mode 2 for the right EQ) and get a good clean tone that is hot enough for preamp duty. The issue is that if you hit the boost with the OD section like this it’ll blow the roof off.

In the end though I’m just happy I don’t have to cart around the mothership any longer