The Kingsley Pedal Club

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Vishnu, Sep 15, 2017.

1. BerkeleyJones

BerkeleyJones Member

Haha, don't you send me down that road! I know myself, it'll be a longggg and winding road!

joevacc and JumpinBradFlash like this.
  2. BerkeleyJones

BerkeleyJones Member

Thanks man, the Jester just loves p90's!

I had the Jester in mode 2, with B/M/T around 11am, 1-2pm, and 11am, respectively.
    The harlot was essentially all dials at noon, maybe gain dialed back a bit and volume pushed a bit. Both toggles in the middle position, and tone right around 1pm.

The clip began with the neck pup at around 3-4 on the guitar volume, then bridge pup on 10 with tone just slightly rolled off.

3. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Thanks, will have to try my v1.5 harlot pushing my jester. I have found that the jester and page love my rickenbacker 360/6, closest thing I have to p90s unfortunately.

BerkeleyJones likes this.
  4. Daprofessor

Daprofessor Member

Sounds great. Are the Kingsley's being used as pre amps into a power amp? If not, what amp is being used?

5. Daprofessor

Daprofessor Member

I will be using a Maiden D and a Page Ds as preamps into a power amp. If I place a chorus and analog delay after the Kingsley pedals prior to the power amp, would the signal be too hot for the chorus and delay?

6. MeisterD

MeisterD Member

I haven’t had issues running a Maiden BF with Page DS into strymon el cap and flint into a Seymour Duncan PS170. Haven’t tried modulation in between the Kingsleys and Strymons though.

Mincer likes this.
  7. leighianson

leighianson Member

First report from the new stack of Kingsley’s that came in a few days ago.

They all sound brilliant obviously and work well into all three of my current amps.

The Serf sounds marvellous and I’ve found the hotter setting is really great for adding just a bit of volume and bite to a clean sound. The other settings are great but I just love the tone of the hotter setting.

The Constable took a little bit of tweaking to get used to, I’m using it FOA, but now I’ve got it dialled in it is the best 2nd stage drive I’ve ever played and has a perfect amount of warmth and cut. I’ve also found that I have to run the bass down quite a bit.

The Bard is everything I’ve wanted out of a trem, smooth, addictive and able to boost the volume. From the moment I turned it on it was pretty awe inspiring.

As a side note, the Constable into the Page is a wonderful tone

8. ToneIsKing55

ToneIsKing55 Supporting Member

Clips?!?!?

9. ToneIsKing55

Depends on the pedal. I had some pedals that didn’t do well with it and had to change them out or move them before the preamps. My Echoczar in particular had big issues, so I moved to a Tonal Recall which does great. Digital pedals tend to do better. Simon is coming out with a buffered effects loop pedal in the future to address the issue, but it’s going to be a while before it’s out.

10. Daprofessor

Daprofessor Member

I was thinking of using a Boss DC-2W into an Analogman ARDX20 delay. If I go into the Boss (digital) unit first, would the Analog Delay be ok?

11. ToneIsKing55

ARDX20 is a great delay.
    I believe @BerkeleyJones has run his after a Maiden, and also a Constable. IIRC it worked well for him, but I’ll let him chime in himself.

I know that it didn’t matter what I put in front of the Echoczar, it didn’t like coming after a preamp.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    BerkeleyJones and Daprofessor like this.
  12. BerkeleyJones

BerkeleyJones Member

@ToneIsKing55 nailed it, as I didn't have issues with the ARDX20 after a preamp but that's because I was running those preamps into FOA and wasn't utilizing their line level output. Any preamp level output will definitely worry the ARDX20 and it would distort a bit, albeit maybe a cool sound.

@Daprofessor After the DC-2W should be completely fine as it's just an instrument level digital unit right? Give it a whirl!!

13. Chandyland

Chandyland Member

DC-2W is fully analog AFAIK.

14. Daprofessor

Daprofessor Member

Yes, that's what I was thinking. That is, use a digital unit after the preamp (line level) and before the analog delay (ARDX20), tame the signal?

15. Chandyland

Chandyland Member

From the Boss DC-2w webpage:

"Premium Waza Craft pedal with all-analog audio circuitry"

You may clip the DC-2w, but it's still worth a try.

Daprofessor likes this.
  16. Daprofessor

Daprofessor Member

I think you are right about the unit, its an all analog circuit.

Chandyland likes this.
  17. Daprofessor

Daprofessor Member

Yes, you are right! I need another option?

18. Chandyland

Chandyland Member

The DC-2w specs say it is made for a nominal input gain of -20dBu, so you may get some clipping out of it.

I would still give it a try if you already own the pedal. If you haven't bought it yet, you may want to consider other options.

Or you could get some kind of intermediary signal converter to run between your preamp and your DC-2w and analog delay.

I know Radial Engineering makes a box for using guitar-level equipment at line-level, but that may be overkill for what you're wanting. But it seems overkill is what we do best around here!

19. johnetone

johnetone Member

I think you should experiment first with what you have and see how you like it. Just because the DC-2W is all analog doesn't mean it won't be able to handle the preamp levels. Or the way that it can't handle them might be really cool anyway. An additional option would be to have them between your two Kingsley's.

Also, Kingsley stuff sounds really great with modulation in front of it. So you might find that to be a decent compromise that sounds better than you would imagine. Perhaps all you might need would be a decent clean boost like a Saturn VI or something to feed your chorus and delay a bit hotter signal so it pops more in the preamps.

20. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

My page, jester, and Jouster are typically run into a Mesa ta15 set on top boost. My harlot, I typically use with a Soldano hr25 or Marshall 2553 to give me some crunch on the fly.

I have been considering going ampless and running a preamp into a cabm then to the pa. There are some clips earlier of a harlot being used into the cabm and it sounded sweet.

If I do get a dedicated preamp, it would likely be the constable, those those victory preamp pedals look pretty nice as well.