The Kingsley Pedal Club

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Vishnu, Sep 15, 2017.

1. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

Well, for my situation, I'd say FOA. Back in the day, before Kingsley was the shizz, I had a couple of the Squire preamps. I was trying to do the whole direct thing with a Two Notes something or other that I can't remember. Very meh, IMO. But, I didn't know then what I do now, so most likely I suspect that it was very much user error.

2. BerkeleyJones

BerkeleyJones Member

hmm, that’s tough. I would say they have such different applications that describing one as better or worse is like saying this or that guitar is better or worse! Many in this thread swear by the preamps into power amps, which I fear isn’t always the way some use Simon‘s preamps. FOA Kingsley’s obviously have their praises around here.

my personal taste is the FOA, but that’s simply because 95% of the time I have NMV Fender’s available to me.

they’re just different! but.. if going on a hunch, I’d say this: the Constable into a power amp and a Jester into a clean amp produce Simon’s best work, for MY tastes :)

3. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

Yes I totally get what you say I'm not a preamp guy and I see myself making lots of obvious mistakes even now that I know a bit more on that matter.

You are absolutely right in saying they are different, apples and oranges, I was coming from the perspective of where do most people believe the best sound from kingsley comes, what is the thing that makes Kingsley as a brand unique or stand out in that regards, preamps or FOA, but maybe the question is not correct.

Mostly curious on what is the perception around here. I'd say having read the whole thread the majority I think focuses more on preamps than FOA.

BerkeleyJones likes this.
  4. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

My feeling on that is the thread started of with more of an emphasis and response from the FOA'rs then the pre amp brigade raised their game......methinks the pre's are more complicated and involved and invoke/require more discussion

5. ToneIsKing55

ToneIsKing55 Supporting Member

No, what I was unsuccessfully saying is he is in the preamp business which is different then an AIAB. An AIAB is usually FOA and tries to replicate the overall sound of the whole amp, whereas the preamp is a replica of the preamp. It’s up to the user to put it together with the power section and cabinet.

apples and oranges. Very different intended uses. They are both equally amazing for what they are designed to do

6. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

Yes that also makes sense, lots of different ways on how to use a preamp! I'm kinda curious on preamps but sometimes I feel I'm not the target audience for them.

ToneIsKing55 likes this.
  7. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

Wouldn't a Kingsley MIAB screamin' FOA pedal be a killer?

TGP is constantly looking for a MIAB and if SJ could nail that one he'd be fartin' through silk for the rest of his life

8. Atrain_dlp

Atrain_dlp Member

I’m very excited to try them. I mainly play direct so I plan on running a Two Notes CAB M for the power amp and cab. Hoping to replace my HX Stomp setup since I primarily use the plexi or JTM45 amps. I think I had asked about the CAB M in here and someone said they were getting great results.

ToneIsKing55 likes this.
  9. ToneIsKing55

I think the preamps are really useful it 3 situations.
    1) If you want the flexibility of multiple amps on your pedalboard

2) if your amp is a little lacking and a new preamp will really improve it

3) if your going direct

I have talked to a few folks here who try the preamps and end up giving them up because they’ve got really special amps that they love. As good as the preamps are, there is a specialness to an amp that is put together by an amp maker who really knows what he’s doing (like Simon). As Vishnu stated so well there’s a LOT more to consider when going with a preamp and how it will interact with the rest of your rig, which can be frustrating, but is also incredibly flexible.

zztomato, blackba, Vishnu and 2 others like this.
  10. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

:spit

11. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

I would say that they're of equal quality, and it all depends upon what you're trying to accomplish. To use a (labored) tool box metaphor, it's sort of like you're asking, "What is better - a saw or a screwdriver?"

12. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

I'm kinda on the #1 option, but I love my amp and always use it as a clean platform, and I don't have an fx loop on the amp though, however, I've read lots of people using preamps FOA, but I'm not sure about that.

Yes I think my question was badly written, I meant to say something more similar to: are preamps what made Kingsley famous or FOA, what is the specialty? cause let's say Wampler has an amp but If someone ask me about the brand I'd say the specialty are pedals not amps. Doesn't mean the amp is bad, it's just that if you are buying wampler most likely you are buying pedals.

AceBSpankin and ToneIsKing55 like this.
  13. apalazzolo

apalazzolo Supporting Member

last year a friend brought over a radial engineering trimode and we put that up against a page tmb and a harlot. in my kingsley-admiring opinion, the trimode has one mode that fit right in as though it were a tweed kingsley. kind of a big-box, but inexpensive, quiet, with excellent tone. if i were dreaming of a FOA kingsley tweed that doesn't exist, i'd use the radial trimode.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019 at 3:09 PM
    dshobe likes this.
  14. Primus DuPont

Primus DuPont Member

For those of you that have a Crucible, what speaker(s) are you running it through?

15. apalazzolo

apalazzolo Supporting Member

isn't that essentially the constable V2 as long as you set the tone controls of your amp for flat eq (via knob-turning or tone-stack bypass)?

AceBSpankin likes this.
  16. Abram4235

Abram4235 Supporting Member

In addition to what TIK already explained just wanted to add that Simon said that the Page is what he'd recommend for the SR sound.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019 at 3:39 PM
    ToneIsKing55 and dshobe like this.
  17. ToneIsKing55

With a Maiden BF an old JBL K120 gave a great Twin sound, and with the Constable I used a Greenback, a Celestion Gold and a EVM12L which all sounded great, but in general I preferred the lower wattage speakers, particularly the A type.

Primus DuPont likes this.
  18. secretchord53

secretchord53 Member

Using the preamps FOA yields very different results than using them as actual preamps. The effect will be much less prevalent, and you won’t be unlocking their full capability.

As to point #1, running different preamps FOA doesn’t magically give you a choice of different amps. It just kind of gives you a few different flavors of EQ curves and perhaps mild gain. You can’t achieve the same levels of OD with a preamp pedal FOA that you can used as an actual preamp. So if you’re looking for that Marshall crunch, the Constable FOA won’t get you there. It needs to be used as an actual preamp.

I run a squire FOA, but I use it as an EQ. I switch between the D and the BF. They work great, but they are subtle and subtly different. They don’t magically turn my amps into a dumble or fender. They just help to sculpt the tone.

Having tried most of the preamps FOA, I’d start a Kingsley journey with his ODs if you’re only planning on running his stuff FOA. You’ll get more satisfying results and you’ll better understand why everyone here loves his stuff.

If you like the ODs, you might dabble in some preamps FOA. But you’ll have to understand you’re not fully unlocking their power by doing so.

As to which he is more known for, that’s a tough question. I think the ODs are second to none and there is very little out there up to the quality. But the OD market certainly isn’t lacking for choice.

His preamp pedals, though, are unique and in a way groundbreaking. More and more companies are headed that way, but what he is offering with these pedals is exact replicas Of very famous preamps. Others are starting to do that, but Simon is way ahead of the game, and without a dip in quality.

However, despite the members of this thread, I’d still say there is more demand for straight ahead OD pedals.

19. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

So only the constable you are running bypassing the amps preamp? I would try the buffer before the constable, as you might have along run into it.

20. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

Excellent info, thanks a lot!

At the moment I'm not really looking for marshall sounds, I'm getting a Jester because I love Od pedals and want to check this one out, sounds amazing so far in a couple of videos I've found, and love the eq offered as well.

Maybe later If I truly like this pedal I'll get something else, everyone seems to love the Page and it looks like a very versatile pedal, however Harlot looks cool too, in the preamp world Maiden looks nice but again I think I won't get the best results with my rig for a pedal like that.

ToneIsKing55 likes this.