The Kingsley Pedal Club

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Vishnu, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Jazzmaster60

Jazzmaster60 Member

Do you own a Crucible ? Do you like it and would you recommend owning one and a couple of Kingsley Pre amps ?

2. caballero59

caballero59 Member

Doesn't seem to be much going on with the Crucible around here. The Constable/Crucible through a speakr is loud but has no clean headroom. I'm using mine to go direct with IR's and for that, can't imagine anything better.

3. JumpinBradFlash

JumpinBradFlash Member

Is that a good thing?

Asking for a friend.....

dshobe likes this.
  4. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

5. Primus DuPont

Primus DuPont Member

I'm a bit of a speaker newb (I know the basics) so I've been curious about the relationship of low-wattage speakers and low-wattage amps. I have a constable and a 3w amp, I just finished my cabinet today and am looking for a 12" speaker.

6. ToneIsKing55

ToneIsKing55 Supporting Member

What is the rest of your rig and what type of music you play?

7. ToneIsKing55

Wish I could like this twice!!!

8. Primus DuPont

Primus DuPont Member

Telecaster with Lollars. I play mostly Norwegian synth pop and the occasional Boston cover... No but seriously I play rock and blues mostly, and do some space-y soundtracks from time to time.

AceBSpankin, Abram4235 and gibson3798 like this.
  9. ToneIsKing55

For playing British rock and blues, greenbacks are a good place to start without breaking the bank, or the gold or blue speakers for a bit more. You’ll probably get a lot more opinions in the amps and cabs section. My best advice is choose a few and buy used. The upside is you can try more options without spending too much, and can resell what you don’t like. The other bonus is the speakers will usually be broken in. The downside is most people don’t know how to pack a speaker and they are expensive to ship. I’ve received several that were just obliterated because of poor packaging, so if you can find anything local that’s a good option.

Ryno1331, dshobe and Primus DuPont like this.
  10. Primus DuPont

Primus DuPont Member

I'm picking up a greenback locally tomorrow for $75, thanks for the advice!

ToneIsKing55 likes this.
  11. secretchord53

secretchord53 Member

I was just using Marshall as an example for the Constable. The overall point would be: don't buy one of his preamps expecting "___ in a box" type of tones in a FOA situation. That's not how those pedals work.

If you're happy with your amp, I wouldn't worry too much about the preamp pedals for now. Again, they do have uses in that application, but the ODs will do more for you.

You can't go wrong with the Jester. If @BerkeleyJones is the driver of the Jester Propaganda Bandwagon, I'm riding shotgun and giving directions. :) The Jester is the only pedal (outside of tuner and volume pedal) that has been at every gig I've played the last 2 years. Some gigs I even run 2. It's versatile and sounds amazing at just about any setting with just about any rig, I would imagine.

I do not own a crucible. Seems like a lot of the chatter about it has died down over the last several months. I think @ToneIsKing55 has had one or has one. More importantly, though, I think he runs a board with several preamps used as preamps to have multiple amps readily available to him.

12. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

Yes it looks awesome and Berkeley has definitely feed the GAS haha. What is the kingsley pedal that complements best the Jester in your opinion?

BerkeleyJones likes this.
  13. Northerner

Northerner Member

I’ve been through a few ODs in the last half century.
    The Jester is the best I’ve ever had.
    a/b ed with the overdrive built in to my Glasswerks Zingaro it sounds every bit as good as the amp.
    That’s incredible.

For me
    The best compliment to the Jester’s OD is the Jester’s boost.
    I’ve been working with a Page and a Minstrel thanks to a member here and so far I prefer the Jester by itself.

Simon has golden ears.
    imo
    He’s up there with HAD.
    The combination of that good a player with those ears and his electronic skills is a Very rare thing.

14. BerkeleyJones

BerkeleyJones Member

haha, I love it!!! such a dynamite pedal

AceBSpankin likes this.
  15. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

It really depends on how you want the other pedal to compliment the Jester. For example if you want a great boost to push the Jester, the Page works great (so does a bunch of other boosts like the koko boost). Than you have a boost to push the Jester and the Jester boost at the end for your solo boost.

If you want a different voicing than considering the harlot (unless you have the sizzle mod on the Jester). I find the Jouster pairs well with the Jester, I can go from light OD on the Jester, to more on the Jouster Od1, to even more on the Jouster OD2. The voicing is similar enough that its not a huge jump, but I rarely use both the Jester and Jouster on the same song, its usually one or the other with boosts and pickup selector changes as well as pick attack to get the dynamics I want.

16. Ryno1331

Ryno1331 Supporting Member

Greenbacks are my favorite overall speaker.

Primus DuPont likes this.
  17. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

guys.....what are you drivin' yer kingsleys with?

I have a Page and a Serf that can handle those tasks but i also have for some different chirps a Mini TS.....a Squawk TB......a ceriatone centura Klone......and when i see one at the right price, an EP boost....they are all GREAT at boosting the Kingsley gear but really impart some great individual power and tone on an already cookin' amp when you wanna change things up a bit from the Kingsley ODs....little modular tone/power pedals. FAB

*sigh* it's never been so good to be a guitar player :)

18. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Looking for some ideas for adding a sizzle pot to the V2 Jester without drilling. Simon on the Jester custom uses a 250k audio taper, but said for converting a V2 Jester that a 100k pot would be great. Before knowing this detail I ordered a 250k trimmer pot, but could always grab a 100k on my next order.

Here is the link to the part. https://www.tubedepot.com/products/trim-pot-for-bias-level

My issue is with mounting ideas. My idea was to run the 2 wires needed out the existing vent holes on one side and mount the pot on those vent holes. I was initially going to use a double sided sticky foam page, but if I do that, I won't be able to turn the pot, as the wiper does all the way through. My other idea was zip ties, but not sure it will be stable enough. I was going to heat shrink the connections the pins (only using 2 of 3) so there was no shorting to the chassis. Obviously with this trimmer pot it would not be an often adjusted control, but would at least be outside for somewhat easy adjustment.

Haven't looked inside yet to see good mounting options there, but that is the other option. As you probably figured, not a fan of drilling, even though I have a stepper drill bit that would work well, would rather keep the original look.

axdxm likes this.
  19. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

Thanks a lot! great info :)

20. guy8string

guy8string Member

As is the prerogative of the Kingsley buyer, I changed my mind and opted for a Page instead of a Constable.

Page is inbound, and it’s probably time to get back on the list!