• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

The Kingsley Pedal Club

Jazzmaster60

Using the preamps FOA yields very different results than using them as actual preamps. The effect will be much less prevalent, and you won’t be unlocking their full capability.

As to point #1, running different preamps FOA doesn’t magically give you a choice of different amps. It just kind of gives you a few different flavors of EQ curves and perhaps mild gain. You can’t achieve the same levels of OD with a preamp pedal FOA that you can used as an actual preamp. So if you’re looking for that Marshall crunch, the Constable FOA won’t get you there. It needs to be used as an actual preamp.

I run a squire FOA, but I use it as an EQ. I switch between the D and the BF. They work great, but they are subtle and subtly different. They don’t magically turn my amps into a dumble or fender. They just help to sculpt the tone.

Having tried most of the preamps FOA, I’d start a Kingsley journey with his ODs if you’re only planning on running his stuff FOA. You’ll get more satisfying results and you’ll better understand why everyone here loves his stuff.

If you like the ODs, you might dabble in some preamps FOA. But you’ll have to understand you’re not fully unlocking their power by doing so.

As to which he is more known for, that’s a tough question. I think the ODs are second to none and there is very little out there up to the quality. But the OD market certainly isn’t lacking for choice.

His preamp pedals, though, are unique and in a way groundbreaking. More and more companies are headed that way, but what he is offering with these pedals is exact replicas Of very famous preamps. Others are starting to do that, but Simon is way ahead of the game, and without a dip in quality.

However, despite the members of this thread, I’d still say there is more demand for straight ahead OD pedals.
Do you own a Crucible ? Do you like it and would you recommend owning one and a couple of Kingsley Pre amps ?

Primus DuPont

With a Maiden BF an old JBL K120 gave a great Twin sound, and with the Constable I used a Greenback, a Celestion Gold and a EVM12L which all sounded great, but in general I preferred the lower wattage speakers, particularly the A type.
I'm a bit of a speaker newb (I know the basics) so I've been curious about the relationship of low-wattage speakers and low-wattage amps. I have a constable and a 3w amp, I just finished my cabinet today and am looking for a 12" speaker.

ToneIsKing55

Silver Supporting Member
I'm a bit of a speaker newb (I know the basics) so I've been curious about the relationship of low-wattage speakers and low-wattage amps. I have a constable and a 3w amp, I just finished my cabinet today and am looking for a 12" speaker.
What is the rest of your rig and what type of music you play?

ToneIsKing55

Silver Supporting Member
Using the preamps FOA yields very different results than using them as actual preamps. The effect will be much less prevalent, and you won’t be unlocking their full capability.

As to point #1, running different preamps FOA doesn’t magically give you a choice of different amps. It just kind of gives you a few different flavors of EQ curves and perhaps mild gain. You can’t achieve the same levels of OD with a preamp pedal FOA that you can used as an actual preamp. So if you’re looking for that Marshall crunch, the Constable FOA won’t get you there. It needs to be used as an actual preamp.

I run a squire FOA, but I use it as an EQ. I switch between the D and the BF. They work great, but they are subtle and subtly different. They don’t magically turn my amps into a dumble or fender. They just help to sculpt the tone.

Having tried most of the preamps FOA, I’d start a Kingsley journey with his ODs if you’re only planning on running his stuff FOA. You’ll get more satisfying results and you’ll better understand why everyone here loves his stuff.

If you like the ODs, you might dabble in some preamps FOA. But you’ll have to understand you’re not fully unlocking their power by doing so.

As to which he is more known for, that’s a tough question. I think the ODs are second to none and there is very little out there up to the quality. But the OD market certainly isn’t lacking for choice.

His preamp pedals, though, are unique and in a way groundbreaking. More and more companies are headed that way, but what he is offering with these pedals is exact replicas Of very famous preamps. Others are starting to do that, but Simon is way ahead of the game, and without a dip in quality.

However, despite the members of this thread, I’d still say there is more demand for straight ahead OD pedals.
Wish I could like this twice!!!

ToneIsKing55

Silver Supporting Member
Telecaster with Lollars. I play mostly Norwegian synth pop and the occasional Boston cover... No but seriously I play rock and blues mostly, and do some space-y soundtracks from time to time.
For playing British rock and blues, greenbacks are a good place to start without breaking the bank, or the gold or blue speakers for a bit more. You’ll probably get a lot more opinions in the amps and cabs section. My best advice is choose a few and buy used. The upside is you can try more options without spending too much, and can resell what you don’t like. The other bonus is the speakers will usually be broken in. The downside is most people don’t know how to pack a speaker and they are expensive to ship. I’ve received several that were just obliterated because of poor packaging, so if you can find anything local that’s a good option.

Primus DuPont

For playing British rock and blues, greenbacks are a good place to start without breaking the bank, or the gold or blue speakers for a bit more. You’ll probably get a lot more opinions in the amps and cabs section. My best advice is choose a few and buy used. The upside is you can try more options without spending too much, and can resell what you don’t like. The other bonus is the speakers will usually be broken in. The downside is most people don’t know how to pack a speaker and they are expensive to ship. I’ve received several that were just obliterated because of poor packaging, so if you can find anything local that’s a good option.
I'm picking up a greenback locally tomorrow for $75, thanks for the advice!

secretchord53

Silver Supporting Member
Excellent info, thanks a lot!

At the moment I'm not really looking for marshall sounds, I'm getting a Jester because I love Od pedals and want to check this one out, sounds amazing so far in a couple of videos I've found, and love the eq offered as well.

Maybe later If I truly like this pedal I'll get something else, everyone seems to love the Page and it looks like a very versatile pedal, however Harlot looks cool too, in the preamp world Maiden looks nice but again I think I won't get the best results with my rig for a pedal like that.
I was just using Marshall as an example for the Constable. The overall point would be: don't buy one of his preamps expecting "___ in a box" type of tones in a FOA situation. That's not how those pedals work.

If you're happy with your amp, I wouldn't worry too much about the preamp pedals for now. Again, they do have uses in that application, but the ODs will do more for you.

You can't go wrong with the Jester. If @BerkeleyJones is the driver of the Jester Propaganda Bandwagon, I'm riding shotgun and giving directions. :) The Jester is the only pedal (outside of tuner and volume pedal) that has been at every gig I've played the last 2 years. Some gigs I even run 2. It's versatile and sounds amazing at just about any setting with just about any rig, I would imagine.

Do you own a Crucible ? Do you like it and would you recommend owning one and a couple of Kingsley Pre amps ?
I do not own a crucible. Seems like a lot of the chatter about it has died down over the last several months. I think @ToneIsKing55 has had one or has one. More importantly, though, I think he runs a board with several preamps used as preamps to have multiple amps readily available to him.

hippieboy

Silver Supporting Member
I was just using Marshall as an example for the Constable. The overall point would be: don't buy one of his preamps expecting "___ in a box" type of tones in a FOA situation. That's not how those pedals work.

If you're happy with your amp, I wouldn't worry too much about the preamp pedals for now. Again, they do have uses in that application, but the ODs will do more for you.

You can't go wrong with the Jester. If @BerkeleyJones is the driver of the Jester Propaganda Bandwagon, I'm riding shotgun and giving directions. :) The Jester is the only pedal (outside of tuner and volume pedal) that has been at every gig I've played the last 2 years. Some gigs I even run 2. It's versatile and sounds amazing at just about any setting with just about any rig, I would imagine.
Yes it looks awesome and Berkeley has definitely feed the GAS haha. What is the kingsley pedal that complements best the Jester in your opinion?

Northerner

I’ve been through a few ODs in the last half century.
The Jester is the best I’ve ever had.
a/b ed with the overdrive built in to my Glasswerks Zingaro it sounds every bit as good as the amp.
That’s incredible.

For me
The best compliment to the Jester’s OD is the Jester’s boost.
I’ve been working with a Page and a Minstrel thanks to a member here and so far I prefer the Jester by itself.

Simon has golden ears.
imo
He’s up there with HAD.
The combination of that good a player with those ears and his electronic skills is a Very rare thing.

BerkeleyJones

haha, I love it!!! such a dynamite pedal

blackba

Yes it looks awesome and Berkeley has definitely feed the GAS haha. What is the kingsley pedal that complements best the Jester in your opinion?
It really depends on how you want the other pedal to compliment the Jester. For example if you want a great boost to push the Jester, the Page works great (so does a bunch of other boosts like the koko boost). Than you have a boost to push the Jester and the Jester boost at the end for your solo boost.

If you want a different voicing than considering the harlot (unless you have the sizzle mod on the Jester). I find the Jouster pairs well with the Jester, I can go from light OD on the Jester, to more on the Jouster Od1, to even more on the Jouster OD2. The voicing is similar enough that its not a huge jump, but I rarely use both the Jester and Jouster on the same song, its usually one or the other with boosts and pickup selector changes as well as pick attack to get the dynamics I want.

Vishnu

guys.....what are you drivin' yer kingsleys with?

I have a Page and a Serf that can handle those tasks but i also have for some different chirps a Mini TS.....a Squawk TB......a ceriatone centura Klone......and when i see one at the right price, an EP boost....they are all GREAT at boosting the Kingsley gear but really impart some great individual power and tone on an already cookin' amp when you wanna change things up a bit from the Kingsley ODs....little modular tone/power pedals. FAB

*sigh* it's never been so good to be a guitar player :)

blackba

Looking for some ideas for adding a sizzle pot to the V2 Jester without drilling. Simon on the Jester custom uses a 250k audio taper, but said for converting a V2 Jester that a 100k pot would be great. Before knowing this detail I ordered a 250k trimmer pot, but could always grab a 100k on my next order.

Here is the link to the part. https://www.tubedepot.com/products/trim-pot-for-bias-level

My issue is with mounting ideas. My idea was to run the 2 wires needed out the existing vent holes on one side and mount the pot on those vent holes. I was initially going to use a double sided sticky foam page, but if I do that, I won't be able to turn the pot, as the wiper does all the way through. My other idea was zip ties, but not sure it will be stable enough. I was going to heat shrink the connections the pins (only using 2 of 3) so there was no shorting to the chassis. Obviously with this trimmer pot it would not be an often adjusted control, but would at least be outside for somewhat easy adjustment.

Haven't looked inside yet to see good mounting options there, but that is the other option. As you probably figured, not a fan of drilling, even though I have a stepper drill bit that would work well, would rather keep the original look.

hippieboy

Silver Supporting Member
It really depends on how you want the other pedal to compliment the Jester. For example if you want a great boost to push the Jester, the Page works great (so does a bunch of other boosts like the koko boost). Than you have a boost to push the Jester and the Jester boost at the end for your solo boost.

If you want a different voicing than considering the harlot (unless you have the sizzle mod on the Jester). I find the Jouster pairs well with the Jester, I can go from light OD on the Jester, to more on the Jouster Od1, to even more on the Jouster OD2. The voicing is similar enough that its not a huge jump, but I rarely use both the Jester and Jouster on the same song, its usually one or the other with boosts and pickup selector changes as well as pick attack to get the dynamics I want.
Thanks a lot! great info :)

Trending Topics