The Kingsley Pedal Club

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Vishnu, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Primus DuPont

Primus DuPont Member

I've had my Constable since October and have been playing it direct-in. I got my greenback installed today and heard the constable through a speaker (instead of headphones) for the first time. My signal chain is Tele->Constable->3w el84 power amp->8ohm 12" greenback in open back pine cab.

Holy crap the Constable is loud! It has way more volume and clean headroom on tap than my amp's built-in preamp. Like, a lot. The Constable with the 3w power amp seems to get a good deal louder than my AC15c1 did, and while I wouldn't call it clean at these volumes I'm getting a very focused, touch sensitive sound. It sounds huge. This setup could definitely hang with a drummer for playing rock.

I will re-iterate what someone said earlier that this is not a MIAB effect-type distortion effect for playing at lower volumes. It really only starts to break up in that way at pretty high volumes, when the controls are nearing the max. I suspect a lot of that is speaker distortion. Placing a gain stage before the Constable is definitely the way to go IMO, which reminds me it's time to get back on the list..

I knew that the Constable was going to sound good, so that wasn't really surprising, but I'm floored by the headroom in this thing. The sound has that kind of smoky jangly quality to it. I'm sure those aren't the right adjectives, but you get the idea.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 8:03 PM
    axdxm, zztomato, blackba and 4 others like this.
  2. caballero59

caballero59 Member

That's how I'm using mine also. I'm using the Atomic Amplifire with the Crucible in the effects loop, pushing the PI just below where it begins to distort. I also use the Constable in front of the Amplfire and it is very subtle but it seems a bit more 3-d and the boost is great for the Plexi models. You may wonder why not just run the Constable into the Crucible and use the Amplifire for effects and IR but it then becomes much less versatile, and does not sound any better. I hate to say it but I actually think the hybrid system sounds more like the classic recordings than any all-tube system that I have ever tried.

3. BerkeleyJones

BerkeleyJones Member

well said! he has such tasteful phrasing, and it’s no wonder the voicing of his products are so top notch. and the build quality!

4. BerkeleyJones

BerkeleyJones Member

Despite the initial inclination that it would be too honky, a TS mini into a Jester is a lot of fun at battle volume. But at bedroom levels it’s... not a pleasing sound :)

5. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

Boosting the Jester with the Minstrel, whoa.

6. axdxm

axdxm Supporting Member

Boost it with a TS (set relatively clean but pushing Constable into breakup) and ride your guitar volume knob.

7. mikeyfam

mikeyfam Member

I'm running a Maiden D as an always on boost to push my Deluxe reverb to the edge of breakup at low volumes. Would ya'll run a Page V2 before or after the Maiden if you were using the Page as a solo boost?

8. ToneIsKing55

ToneIsKing55 Supporting Member

I would run it before as I think the maiden takes being boosted better whereas the page can over compress and lose strong definition

9. Primus DuPont

Primus DuPont Member

I play a tele, and while that sound works, it really only starts to work for me at band volume. It has a very focused, almost carlos santana kind of midrange thing going on. How do you set your Constable and what power amp are you using?

BerkeleyJones and AceBSpankin like this.
  10. axdxm

axdxm Supporting Member

I play teles, strats and a Les Paul. I gig with the Constable into the lowly Fender Blues Deluxe into the "power amp in" jack. As just a power amp for my Constable, it works like a champ and I can still use the amp's reverb. I keep a Boss Katana as a backup which has an effects loop and sounds equally good. At home, I record with a Constable into a Two Notes CAB. In all scenarios, I push the Constable with a tube screamer. Lately, I have been using the Ibanez/Vemuram TSV808, but I have also enjoyed using a TS808HW and a regular vintage TS808. It just works. I keep Vol 1/Vol 2 fairly low on the Constable and use the TS to push it into breakup, and use the Master as an attenuator. Different rooms require different bright cap settings. I can roll back neck pickup on tele or strat for RHCP or Hendrix tones and throw it on the bridge for classic rock crunch tones. I use an EP Booster after the TS for solos.

11. apalazzolo

apalazzolo Supporting Member

Hey all you Constablarians out there, can you recommend a plain vanilla wall wart power supply for a Constable?

I just bought a used Constable from Australia and the seller never received an OEM supply from Simon (because Australia is using 240 volts instead of 120?).

Just a wall wart ...

Many thanks for any ideas (except thermo-nuclear, mega-military-spec behemoths ... I'm just not going there)!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 4:54 PM
  12. ToneIsKing55

It looks like this should work, but I’m sure Simon would be happy to let you know where he gets his

https://www.parts-express.com/12v-8...sfoQix2AbvFyi8ALRKRCFA0qWZL8Fo4xoC3esQAvD_BwE

apalazzolo likes this.
  13. apalazzolo

14. ToneIsKing55

The Kingsley site says it’s a 2.1 plug which I assume is the same as the plug in the link I sent which is 2.1 x 5.5 mm. I’m assuming the outside diameter is standard for a 2.1 plug, but that’s an assumption

15. apalazzolo

Yeah, I think that's right. Thanks so much for responding.

16. scopa

scopa Silver Supporting Member

For those that like to push the constable.... I have a BK Tube Driver w/ AX7 tubes in it. between the tone and vol knobs on the BK you can do some fun stuff. Constable is running into FX return of amp

AceBSpankin and Primus DuPont like this.
  17. Primus DuPont

Primus DuPont Member

Those are sounds I like! Maybe it's my specific TS (Maxon OD-9 w/ 808 mod), but I'm having a hard time getting away from it sounding a bit boxy. I copped your settings, running the gain knob fairly low, and the vol maxed. It's definitely a sound, but I'm just not feeling it right now. Now I'm wondering what a bluesbreaker style OD would sound like...

BerkeleyJones likes this.
  18. axdxm

axdxm Supporting Member

I don't "slam" the Constable. I just push it a little bit and ride that "just breaking up" tone. There are no rules, haha. The new Timmy V3 is great into the Constable. Some have had luck with treble boosters. Really anything that conventionally goes into a Marshall should be good!

19. Primus DuPont

Primus DuPont Member

Sorry if I'm confabulating anyone with my constant Constable commentary, but I found something. As a preamp I have been struggling to get the constable to give up the goods at a reasonable bedroom volume. It certainly has the goods, but they only started to come out at higher volumes.

I had been so preoccupied with the novelty of the Constable being a preamp, that I overlooked something significant. The boost setting! Running the pedal FOA in output position 2 (bright switch also on 2) I am getting all of that Kingsley goodness! And with two master volumes available at the foot switch, this thing is like a Page killer now. If you haven't run your Constable FOA (in an attenuated output mode) do it!

AceBSpankin, zztomato and blackba like this.
  20. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

So I am second guessing if the constable is going to be the right preamp for me when my name comes up mid next year. My #1 goal is to run the preamp into a CabM then to the PA. Since I keep reading that the plexi sound needs to drive the phase inverter to really get the most out of it, wondering if I would be better with a Maiden BF. I was planning to run the preamp clean or just starting to breakup.

Anyone running the Maiden BF direct into a power amp sim / IR?

Primus DuPont likes this.