The Kingsley Pedal Club

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Vishnu, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Kenny Blue

Kenny Blue Silver Supporting Member

Yes I could, but I also use them in front of amps... some of which have not FX loops.

To me they sound excellent the way I am using them... in front of amps. And Simon has said that, although they have been designed to be used as primary pre amps, going into power amps, that they also can be used in front of amps. I am thinking that I am not the only person using them this way.

I am just trying to see if anyone else is using them in front of their amp AND how they are dealing with the input volume situation.

2. dsw67

dsw67 Supporting Member

Well, I'm confused. You said:

I thought based on this you were unhappy with how they work into FOA, but then you said,

which sounds like you are happy with the way they work. (?)

I checked my copy of the manual for my Maiden D. And what it says is:

I could be wrong, but is sounds to me Simon has some caveats re: using the Maiden FOA. I guess you'd have to check with him directly.

For me personally, I've had good results using the Maiden D into a regular Page, then into FOA, although as others have mentioned, it darkens the tone. I much prefer it in the effects loop, or any situation where I can bypass the preamp and go directly to the power section.

YMMV.

3. Kenny Blue

Thanks for all your input.

I do think that these pedals sound great in front of the amp... for example when using it front of my '68 Fender Showman head. It's just that, again for example, when using just the Page DS in front of the Showman, unity gain is about at 7 o'clock on the Page. So the Volume on the Page is JUST past off.

The Maiden is similar but unity gain is more like 8 O'clock to 9 O'clock... it's a bit easier to use because there is a Volume and Master Volume on the Maiden.

I was just wondering if anyone uses these pedals like I am.... and if they have had the same question about volume that I have.... and if they have dealt with it in some way that they could share with me (while still using them in front of their amp). That's all. :)

4. Kenny Blue

Btw.... even with the unity gain so low on these pedals, I still use them this way.

It would just be easier if there wasn't so much gain so suddenly on the Volume pots of each of them. And I had also thought, as was suggested, of using a pre amp tube with less gain. So I will try that too.

5. Kenny Blue

In reading the Kingsley info about the Constable I see that that pedal does have an "Output" switch. That, I believe, is exactly what I am referring to.

I don't have a Constable, but perhaps someone who does can comment...

Here is what Simon says in description of this switch on the Constable, on the Kingsley site...

"The 3-way "Output" switch offers full output in position 3 (line level), attenuated output in position 2 (instrument level) and attenuated output with treble roll-off mode in position 1 (instrument level). Use full output mode for driving a power amp directly, especially when using the Constable to dive a power amp into overdrive. Use the attenuated mode when you don't want to drive the power amp hard or when not wanting to drive any subsequent effects (like delay and reverb) into overdrive. Lastly use attenuated with treble roll-off mode when running the Constable into the front of a typical guitar amp (without some treble compensation a preamp will tend to sound too bright when driving the input of a regular guitar amp)."

So.... I will email Simon to see if either or both of these pedals could possibly be modded with this feature, and what that might cost.

blackba likes this.
  6. caballero59

caballero59 Member

Simon modded the Page I ordered for optional preamp use. He did mention he had to monkey around with it a bit to get the presence correct.

Kenny Blue likes this.
  7. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

The output level thing is tricky. I have Stomp Shields on the gain and level knobs of most of my Kingsley pedals, so that nothing gets nudged unexpectedly.

apalazzolo and Kenny Blue like this.
  8. Kenny Blue

Ah... that's a cool little thing ! I had not seen those before... thanks !

9. Atrain_dlp

Atrain_dlp Member

After getting my Constable and absolutely loving it, I’m really regretting not ordering a Vox flavored preamp too. Had to put myself back on the list again. What do you folks that have the Squire 86 think of it? Does Simon ever put that circuit in the Maiden box?

10. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

They're a little hard to see here, but they're on the Gain & Volume controls of all the Kingsleys here:
    [​IMG]

11. sonichronic

sonichronic Supporting Member

@Kenny Blue

Even when using into a Poweramp both the Maiden D and Page DS have A LOT OF OUTPUT! using the stomp shields definitely help I used foam washers under the volume knobs.

this is what I did... I used a loop switcher with master volume controls on the output so I could run the preamps at any setting.

[​IMG]

this unit I had built has 4 loops and 4 master volumes but you would only need one (or two if you wanted to run the Maiden and DS in separate loops) I'm sure someone makes a loop with a master volume. Lehle makes a parallel loop with volumes on them. you could just use it all he way wet then just use the volume to control the output of the units in the loop.
    Also I know that the gig rig switcher has pre and post volume controls of every loop. that is a great feature. not sure if other switchers have this option?
    I think you could some how rig this up with a Boss LS-2 somehow? basically you need to put them in a loop and add a master volume. even putting them in a loop with a clean boost on to attenuate them.

I hope that made sense. probably not.

the Kingsley preamps do work infront of the amp but you find yourself fighting that brightness constantly. luckily there are so many brightness settings on the Kingsley kit.

skhan007, AceBSpankin and Kenny Blue like this.
  12. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

Simon can build you a passive Master Volume pedal to place at the end of the chain. Ordered one to use with the BF Maiden + Page DS combo as I like the texture of running the maiden high into the Page DS FOA. Great throaty dumble lead sound.

Kenny Blue likes this.
  13. Kenny Blue

Interesting.... I will ask him about that. Thank you

14. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

New pedal on it's way to Scotland from France.......the JAM Rattler (custom colour no less) pedal. A boteek Rat clone, hope it will sort my distortion needs......

[​IMG]

This video is to blame

15. 19BCG87

19BCG87 Supporting Member

Hi everyone,

My name is Ivan - here’s my cliche (“I’m a longtime lurker, and this is my first post” ) first post. I’ve finally had something come up that merits actually posting, so here it is: I’ve got a question for people familiar with the inner workings + gut shots of the Kingsley Page and/or the Page DS or any other one-off variant that Simon is known to build.

The first Kingsley pedal I ever bought was a v1 Page, purchased circa 2015 on the local used market in a Craigslist deal. I got it for $180 used, and needless to say it took a while until I fully appreciated how good of a deal it was (partly because I was 24 years old and still pretty immature). Fast forward to the present day, several Kingsleys later and my name coming up in Feb., and I still chuckle when I think about what I paid for my Page, which has remained arguably the most useful pedal I own over time as other gear (including main guitar, main amp(s) to say nothing of all the pedals) has come and gone.

A buddy of mine here in Portland, OR lent me his v2 Page - we’ve bought and sold several pieces of gear to one another and since my name is coming up soon, I borrowed his v2 to help decide whether to get one in Feb., or if I should just stick with my v1 and free up one of my reserved slots for something else. After testing them head to head, it was obvious that my v1 seemed to have a lot more gain/volume on tap – otherwise they sounded nearly identical in equivalent modes. My buddy and I both simply chalked that up to tube variance, or the pedals having different tubes (which we didn’t know the truth of, at that point). We opened them up and found that they each had the stock Tung Sol, but looking at the insides I was struck by how different the two circuits looked. I’m basically a dunce when it comes to the nitty gritty of electronics, but even I can see the differences in layout and size, as well as the positioning of caps, and stuff like that. To me it seems like the v1 looks SIGNIFICANTLY different from the v2, to the point that they’re dissimilar enough that they could be different things.

This was the first time I’d ever had the notion that perhaps my trusty v1 Page might really be something else: a Page DS/ ODS, or some other variation that Simon has surely done for some people over the years. Are any of you familiar enough with the insides/guts of a Page as to be able to tell me if I’m on to something here?

For the record, I’ve concluded that I need to keep my v1 regardless, and it’s obvious that I need a v2 as well for the bass cut mode that my v1 doesn’t have.

Anyway, thank you for any input/advice! Cheers.

v1

v2

Thanks again!!

16. apalazzolo

apalazzolo Supporting Member

You should prolly send the serial number to Simon and ask what kind of Page it is.

Simon removed the fat mode from v1 in making the v2. Also, he decreased the output capability in redesigning the v1 into the v2. If you watch his early Page demo video, the volume never gets past about 9 o clock. That's because the output of the v1 was so hot.

17. 19BCG87

19BCG87 Supporting Member

Thanks for the tip, I didn’t know that tidbit about reducing the overall volume for the v2 redesign - I thought it was only the bass cut switch/mode and nixing the fat boost mode from v1. That would also explain what I’m hearing and seeing in terms of the volume. Unfortunately the serial number on the v1 has been rubbed/smudged to the point that it’s illegible. I did email Simon pics of the insides of the two pedals - I’m sure he’ll get back to me before too long but I know he’s probably extra busy this time of year so I figured this would be the perfect reason to ask TGP, which I use as a resource anyway but never post (until now).

Ultimately it’s not a huge concern as I love my v1 to death. There’s just something about it...I use it as an almost-always-on gain stage adding a chewy fatness to whatever comes after (Harlot, Jester, Juggler, or XTC 101B), or getting blasted with high mids from CBA Condor and nothing else engaged.

And using it that way I can see that there is definitely a place for the v2 on my board as well in a different spot/different role. But since I’m coming up for 3 pedals in February, I think that the v2 will have to wait because there are too many exciting new choices to grab something so similar to one that’s already in my chain.

thanks again for the advice!

BerkeleyJones, blackba and dshobe like this.
  18. Krausewitz

Krausewitz Member

Don’t forget: you can push the Page with a boost or EQ pedal, so you don’t have to give up on gainier sounds....you just change how you get there.

Also, get the Page TS. The tonestack makes a big difference....

19. sonichronic

sonichronic Supporting Member

Simon is the type of guy who does not follow the saying, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    It doesn't suprise me that v2 would be completely different. I'm sure at the heart of the circuit they are the same or at least in the concept of the creator.

can you post pics of the guts of both?

oh and there are plenty of people who have two pages on their board.

also it could be possible that your Buddys V2 might be a PAGE DS. seeing as it would normally need a whole other gain stage (maiden D) to get cookin'. I used my page DS as a boost on it's own and it was definitely a low gain boost.

BerkeleyJones and hippieboy like this.
  20. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

^ Tony throwing his hat in the ring for the position of attendant in the soon to be announced Kingsley pedal museum

[​IMG]

Happy new year Tony and clubbers :wave
    and all the best for 20/20