The Kingsley Pedal Club

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Vishnu, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

BerkeleyJones likes this.
  2. DoctorSpock

DoctorSpock Supporting Member

I’ve would’ve not thought this to be true had I not experienced it myself. When I got my first order I plugged them in and was like hmm these do not sound good, and was obviously disappointed. I’d heard rumors of burn-in so I let them sit for 4-5 hours. Played again the next day and was like ok I get it now, these sound great. Obviously a far cry from proof, but my experience was at least clear.

With my new order, I just plugged em all in for a few hours anyway because it won’t hurt anything and could help. I do highly doubt that the volume control positioning for a given level will change though. Simon offered for me to ship it back to lower the output, which I’m considering, depending on cost.

zztomato likes this.
  3. Chris Milne

Chris Milne Member

Does anyone know the current wait times? I sent an email a few months ago but never heard back. I don't need anything soon enough to pay used prices...

4. Blue Bee

Blue Bee Member

Email again or check spam. You should get a reply so you know your on the list.

BerkeleyJones likes this.
  5. Jazzmaster60

Jazzmaster60 Member

Look for the BBOD next . The sound with the bridge pick up of a Stratocaster is out of this World . [​IMG]

Bradguitar and zztomato like this.
  6. Bradguitar

Bradguitar Member

Yeah I wonder if all this might be the case... I'll try letting it burn in for a while and see what happens.

DoctorSpock likes this.
  7. poppy527

poppy527 Supporting Member

I commend @blackba to also include on this thread, the other side of the coin when it comes to these amazing pedals.

I would imagine, everyone who has contributed to this awesome friendly thread has learned, shared and tried new ways to approach these AMAZING pedals. I can say without a doubt, this thread has helped me tremendously.

I also believe this should be a safe place to share and connect when a pedal doesn't quite sit right. I have PM'd many on here with thoughts and seeking help because I didn't want to come across negative or create tension like so many other threads on this site.

Thank you @Abram4235 for sharing your thoughts about Harlot v3 vs. Custom Harlot. Literally everything you said, I concur with .. The Custom Harlot and imo the Harlot v2 "play" a lot better in terms of Sag, compression and interaction with the string. Perhaps a bit more "air" under the strings if there is such a thing. To me, the Harlot v3 was a bit stiff and tight and had a bit more floor noise ( yet again, could've been the one I had -- or this break in period that has been mentioned). I sold my Harlot v3 and purchased a Custom Harlot and couldn't be happier.

8. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Film caps which are used in all the Kingsley pedals are reported to have a break in period. There are also reports of electrolytic capacitors break in time as well. Forming or reforming electrolytic caps is something can be done, though I have never tried it. As to what is really changing over time, don’t know the physics behind it and especially with film caps is hotly debated. Could also be the tubes changing as well.

It would be interesting to hear what Simon has to say on the subject.

Abram4235 and DoctorSpock like this.
  9. apalazzolo

apalazzolo Supporting Member

... and resistors are famous for "drift". Though I always thought that all of these things are essentially unpredictable/random. So the idea that all Kingsleys settle in for the better seems unlikely to me.

blackba likes this.
  10. ToneIsKing55

ToneIsKing55 Supporting Member

Your obviously not taking into account the magic pixie dust Simon sprinkles on each one ;)

11. apalazzolo

apalazzolo Supporting Member

Somebody ought'a invent some pixie dust that doesn't need a break-in period ...

12. ToneIsKing55

:spit

zztomato likes this.
  13. Daprofessor

Daprofessor Member

Really liked the Harlot-> Constable today into the power section of a fender blues deluxe with 6L6’s.

However, I think a little sag was needed from the power section via a tube rectifier...

blackba, Abram4235 and BerkeleyJones like this.
  14. DoctorSpock

DoctorSpock Supporting Member

The Constable is proving to be the ultimate low gain pedal! Blendable channels, TMB controls, footswitchable volume boost — I’m loving it!

Though they’re different I think this will kick my Hudson Broadcast off the board. I need to gig with it first and see how dynamic/compressed it is, but so far I’m very impressed! This is all FOA btw, but it’s cool knowing I can use it as a preamp for recording too. So versatile..

15. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

Lots of questions. Wow.

johnetone likes this.
  16. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

I would concur with poppy527, the two were different at least to my ears. Biggest thing is the feel which I think is what puts the Kingsley stuff over other pedals. I will say even the Jester w/ sizzle control is different than the jester v2 in regards to a high-mid/low treble pick attack level.

Also things I've found: Page TS is great as a pseudo preamp, where you set it to slightly clip like a cooking amp should be and makes the pedals running into (especially fuzzes, etc.) sound their best. Great solution for less than stellar amps, one might have to use. Also yes, Constable will allow finnicky fuzzes to sound great into unorthodox amps (BF Fenders, Dumble amps, etc.).

blackba, johnetone and ToneIsKing55 like this.
  17. ToneIsKing55

Welcome, your kinda famous around these parts.... lots of questions? Of course, you’ve got a pedal many here have been thinking about. Kinda cool and hope you stick around as you’ve got a lot of common interests with the folks on this thread. Would love to hear more

18. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

I think I'm about to go the all Kingsley. Maiden D to be my clean channel and Constable for Marshall. (those will feed a power amp pedal and go to cab....or go into a mooer radar > direct to PA).

I'd like recommendations as to which Kinglsey pedal between Page, Minstrel or Harlot will work with Maiden D (set clean) to be like a med gain OD. And then to be kicked into Constable for some more saturation.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    ToneIsKing55 and blackba like this.
  19. ToneIsKing55