The Kingsley Pedal Club

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Vishnu, Sep 15, 2017.

1. secretchord53

secretchord53 Member

Yeah, I didn’t list here. I find I have better selling luck on reverb, but Kingsleys may be the exception with such a devoted following here. If I’d seen you really interested in one, I’d likely have sent you a PM. I wish we could have a “Kingsley exception” for selling in this forum, haha. Would be cool to offer up any Kingsleys for sale here first to fellow Kingsley enthusiasts.

I really liked the pedal. But I was only using it FOA, so didn’t get to open it up to full potential, so to speak. Also, I had a hard time getting both channels dialed in where I could use them together. Get normal channel 1 singing, channel 2 is too bright, and nice versa. As I was mainly interested in live use, can’t be fiddling with the channels mid-song.

I would’ve kept it, but I’m trying to thin the herd a bit and stick with things that I only use a lot. And I want a new amp down the road, and need to be able to justify it to the wife. :)

2. Northerner

Northerner Member

Is there any reason that we couldn’t mention it if we’re going to sell a Kingsley pedal here on this thread?
    Or mention here that we’re looking for one?

3. Bobby Marshall

Bobby Marshall Member

There are many rules on posts if you are selling. Not sure I want to test the limits. Mentioning you might be looking to replace pedal x might pass, but if you say $ then that seems like a violation but I ain’t a mod or a lawyer.

blackba likes this.
  4. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Kingsley pedals for sale or trade should ALWAYS be posted in the TGP Emporium! :aok

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 9:01 AM
    johnetone and fenderbender4 like this.
  5. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

I might be interested in visiting forum soon for Page. Fellow Kingsley-ites, please spare some advice on what I should do:

I had a chance to fiddle around again today with just the my three Kingsley pedals and my amplifier. I love the Maiden D as my clean with no question. I also love the Constable (plexi version) but I am finding that I’m having to tweak it right now to adjust the top end because

1. The new Weber Legacy 12F speaker that I have in my amp is fairly new and need some breaking in. I’m worried that even after 7-8 or so hours of playing on it that it may sound this way later. Time will tell, but its still kind of harsh and bright. I’m not really digging the higher end of frequency spectrum depending in how I set Constable.

2. I’m going straight into the FX return of my amplifier. In doing so my amp has a volume dial for the loop. Obviously when you turn down you lose some of the low end and it can sound a little thinner and brittle.

I can adjust and tweak so Constable works.

The Page ODS (v1 with 1 toggle) is the real issue I’m having. When I put it after the Maiden D, I can get it to sound good. It definitely imparts some lower mid frequencies for that dumbley tone. The biggest problem is the volume taper which goes from zero to insanely loud. Again, I can adjust it a bunch to make it sound good. If I try to use it with the Constable, I have very mixed results depending on where I place it. I watched all of Simon’s videos again and again and he gets some great sounds when puts the Page DS before and even after the constable. When I put it after my constable it can sound very boxy. Similarly in front of it, it gives it a hell of a boost. Through my silent direct rig, its fantastic. Through amp... harsher.

Im starting to feel like I basically need to give up on using the Page with the constable. Im wondering if I should sell it or should I just use with Maiden D only and use other stuff with Constable? I use my Timmy and a treble boost when I use the constable and it gets beautiful sounds that are more controllable. I dont know. It’s a great boost and so many people swear by it.

Dont know what to do.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 2:44 PM
    Elskens Philippe likes this.
  6. archtop

archtop Member

Hi Kingsley Club,

I had an idea this morning, that I didn’t want to take to Simon directly, because I’m not ready to do anything about it, but I think it’s a good idea!

I’m a guitar player who owns one bass, and no bass rig. I’d love to have an Ampeg B15, for playing at home and recording. The thought occurred to me that a Kingsley B15 with a three knob ‘64, and 3 knob ‘66 preamp would be a killer tone shaping device. It could be used for recording direct, or running into a power amp in of an existing amp I already own, or for bass players who have a high powered power amp solution already.

is this an idea that interests anyone else?

BerkeleyJones, DrProgNerd and blackba like this.
  7. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

You might like to check out the Arkham Oracle. I learned about it from this post. It’s a tube preamp for bass and has some relation to Ampeg stuff...

archtop and blackba like this.
  8. blackba

blackba Member

That sounds like a really cool idea. My current rig is an eden wtdi into a crown k1 and a ampeg svt3pro. I typically run both together, so if I got an ampeg preamp, I would just ditch the svt3pro.

@Tabor i checked out that Arkham oracle, looks like a sweet preamp, thanks for sharing.

archtop and Tabor like this.
  9. WWW

WWW Supporting Member

Hey guys and gals. Just found a Marshall tone I liked out of my Kingsley Constable 800. Totally unoriginal which is in keeping with my fashion.

Keep in mind I’ve been drinking a lot (otherwise probably wouldn’t be posting) and it’s my first go at a song reading it on the pc while playing. Forgive the many flubs, please.

10. Elskens Philippe

Elskens Philippe Member

I had something very similar 2 years ago. At first, I found the Page DS extremely versatile. After being more critical, I realized that the combo Constable-DS was not a sound I loved, so I completely gave up on it. I considered selling the DS, since it turned out to be a lot less versatile than originally thought. Now I understand that that's 1 of the stupidest thoughts I've ever had: the Page DS (in effects loop Two Rock, so I assume pretty similar to your use with Maiden D) is the absolute best sound I've ever heard). So even if it is a 1-trick pony, that pony wins every race! With regards to the Constable: now I use it by itself for edge-of-breakup, or pushed with a Page for light OD, or with Minstrel or Lil MO+PoT for heavier OD. Basically, I have different rigs (slightly overlapping) for my 2 preamps (Two Rock and Constable). I would love to simplify, but I'd be losing some spectacular tones that I know I would miss ;-)

11. scotty31

scotty31 Member

lockdowns and curfews = excuse to modify.

took the large board apart and have put this together
    [​IMG]

Running into an SLO100 w/ 2x 412 (pardon the mess in the garage...next weekends job)
    [​IMG]

G-system hooked up using the 4 cable method.
    Preset 1 - Page (other 3 are in the Loops 1-3 so can be stacked)
    Preset 2 - Constable
    Preset 3 - Minstrel
    Preset 4 - Harlot
    Preset 5 - None (for when i switch the SLO overdrive on)

Really like this lot hitting the SLO loop in crunch mode.

12. Will Little

Will Little Supporting Member

Question for Page TS users: where do you like it in your chain and how does it work with other drives in your chain?

I'm planning on adding it to my board that has a minstrel up front followed by a Tubescreamer and a klone. I can certainly see one of those drives being replaced by the TS but just curious of any stacking recipes to get started.

BerkeleyJones likes this.
  13. mythoughtcrime

mythoughtcrime Member

Yes!

14. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

I think you have a valid point about the one trick pony. I reogranized my board cabling this morning and I messed around with rhe Maiden D and DS. I think its in a good place.

The Maiden for me is clean so Id turn on DS after for a light/ med gain for bluesy and stuff. Seems to do that well.

As for Constable, I hit it with Timmy for more gain and and Ill use the treble booster on HX or even Dist+ model. I used the DS this morning into Constable and it sounded amazing but a bit louder so I would have to either live with the fact that whenever I clicked on the DS that it would really give me a big boost or just leave it to be the one trick pony with Maiden D. Thanks for insight

Well see how it goes

Elskens Philippe likes this.
  15. BerkeleyJones

BerkeleyJones Member

Nice & versatile rig!! Do you have any plans to stack in those presets or are you preferring the tones of the single pedals alone?

16. BerkeleyJones

BerkeleyJones Member

Depends on your goal and the application. With your other pedals as context, particularly the Minstrel and the tubescreamer, I think you’d get the best tones running those into the Page TS. Of course, the Page TS can be a great boost too with its EQ / toggle options; but you’ve already got the Kingsley Minstrel (purely incredible as a tubescreamer role imho) and the Klon for those duties.

I would dial in your amp dead clean to a sound you love. Then, introduce the Page TS, and dial it in so that with your guitar volume rolled off, and the guitar tone control rolled back to taste, you have that same clean, perhaps a bit bigger and fuller. When you engage your guitars volume and tone pots, you have some saturation with note definition, but juuuust approaching classic rock gain, especially full out on the bridge pup. Now, your Klon and Minstrel and tubescreamer will never have sounded better. That said, I know some folks like the Klon last in line. Good problems for you to have!

17. Will Little

Will Little Supporting Member

Thanks, this was my initial idea as well. I do think that this will replace either the Tubscreamer or Klone in this rig. I agree I like the Klone last in terms of gain staging, But I could see the Page TS holding the same role, I'll see if I can fit everything on the board first and then decide who's gonna get booted.

ToneIsKing55 and BerkeleyJones like this.
  18. BerkeleyJones

BerkeleyJones Member

Keep us updated!

19. DrProgNerd

DrProgNerd Silver Supporting Member

I have a Jackson Audio Broken Arrow - which I suppose is a TS derivative. It is first in my chain - followed by a Page TS Custom (in preamp mode), Page TS (drive mode) into a Jester Custom (preamp mode). I like non-tube drives pushing tube pedals. They add a tightness before hitting the tube drive - then the tube drive adds body, dynamics, and that amp-like sag. Generally, two tube-based OD pedals together - for me at least - feel a little too mushy in the low-end. I keep my Broken Arrow on most of the time - either in Boost, OD or both. When I have the Page TS Custom on, I don't use drive. It's more of a clean to Blackface setting. I use the Broken Arrow to standard Page TS to push the Jester Custom for more overdrive/medium distortion tones. The work remarkably well. A month from now, it will all be torn apart and reworked. I'm restless. Lol !!!

Mikewestbelgium, blackba and Figaro like this.
  20. scotty31

scotty31 Member

because i don't run the SLO clean (crunch & OD only for that amp), i don't really need any of them stacked.
    The Constable is where it is so i can use the master lift to boost it a bit.

blackba, dsw67 and BerkeleyJones like this.