• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

The Kingsley Pedal Club

Silver Supporting Member
Wow! Thanks for checking it out! I love working with this singer, means a lot to me that you like it :) hopefully the tone is even better next time with the Kingsleys!

Back to the topic of the Kingsleys, to explain the setup of last night’s rig, I have the Squire and Page always on for a pushed clean tone. The music was straight ahead jazz with a more ‘modern’ sound, so mostly clean ish. Sounds and feels beautiful hitting the Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb, adds compression and sustain/fatness, but the string clarity for chords is maintained.

I use the MXR Sugar Drive to hit the Page for more mids/sustain for the higher energy stuff, but it’s all mostly clean. At the end of the night, we closed out with some fusion unexpectedly, so I cranked the drive of the Page and wow! It’s crazy amp like and natural it felt at gig volume, so good! Now I just need one Page set up for pushed cleans, and one for drive! :eek:
Gotta get on the list again!
I’d really like a clip from the gig from the picture. Definitely looking forward to some Kingsley inspired clips!

Back on topic, I think a Squire sandwich with two slices of Page would sound delicious.

Silver Supporting Member
FYI all
I may have a straight Constable up for sale soon. Jacket club can have 1st dibs

Got a Park P45 nearly complete & i feel it may end up being superfluous.
Cheers to you Scotty for offering in the thread. I’d be all in if I wasn’t paying off my last order. It’s become an annual expense.

Hope that Park works out for you sir.

sorlati

Gold Supporting Member
I’d really like a clip from the gig from the picture. Definitely looking forward to some Kingsley inspired clips!

Back on topic, I think a Squire sandwich with two slices of Page would sound delicious.
Yes, maybe a Page DS is in order? Does the DS work much better than the Page after a preamp? Would love to know everybody’s experience!

Unfortunately I didn’t record that gig, so here’s a little clip from my iPhone, I use them in pretty subtle ways, so hope the sound comes across in the video! It’s more about the feel for me, and sustain of the note.

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
FYI all
I may have a straight Constable up for sale soon. Jacket club can have 1st dibs

Got a Park P45 nearly complete & i feel it may end up being superfluous.
Congrats on the park, I bet that will be a sweet sounding amp once you are done.

I wasn’t sure if it was okay to post what we have for sale here. I am cool with it, but I was apprehensive about saying that I have a v1 maiden bf listed. Turns out the squire bf does everything I need.

I am planning to try the maiden with the Eq lift boost as an under drive to see how that works. So my Vox ac50 will be cranked and I will have the maiden choking the volume down before it with the Eq lifted to not impart its bf character. I was doing this with the jester boost, but my jester boost is cutting in and out. Hoping it’s a tube or footswitch. Already had to replace the footswitch on the od side of my 2013 jester, so if it’s bad on the boost, then wondering how mine ended up with two switches that just didn’t last to long.

ItJustRocks

Platinum Supporting Member
It looks like a few have tried the Serf. Any more in-depth thoughts? I love the idea a quality clean boost with a few variations to sculpt with. Any shortcomings you noticed when using one?

CraigPaddock

IMG_0482.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg
Testing commence! oh mama.... Shared Cathode Bassman/Plexi 6 bright caps-3 for each lead channel, + the global normal channel is in the hizzzaaayyyyyyy; and daddy likey. Just getting my toes in the pool....I will need some time with all this love before I can report anything. But yeah- I'm a constable fan already.
peace!

leonelh7

It looks like a few have tried the Serf. Any more in-depth thoughts? I love the idea a quality clean boost with a few variations to sculpt with. Any shortcomings you noticed when using one?
I sold all my boosts, including some long time favorites after I got the Serf. Killer boost. I had Mode 3 modded to resemble the boost of the Jester Mode 3 mid boost. I use it all the time.

Edit: I should say I still have a Treble Boost since that is used with a fuzz. My Page is still in my board but not used as a boost. Rather it helps with certain sounds in the studio.

Last edited:

scotty31

Cheers to you Scotty for offering in the thread. I’d be all in if I wasn’t paying off my last order. It’s become an annual expense.

Hope that Park works out for you sir.
Cheers
I've had a P45 on my radar for years. I got to play a '66 in London back in '07 and ever since ive wanted one.

Super excited for the Colby build.
I reckon i'll add a rock head in the near future.....unless my Kingsley spot comes up :)

Heya

The clean platform of the Blackbird is good for overdrives like the Harlot/Minstrel/Jouster....im not too enamoured with the Jester, but i prefer that pedal into british platforms rather than american ones.
The clean side is pretty powerful. Can go FOA into things like an AC30 or Tweed Twin and change the make up of the clean tone, which in turn allows your OD's to behave differently.

The Cream side of it is great with the Jester and Constable. Not a fan of it by itself personally, but its a great platform for those two. I've also started using the Squire 86 into it over the weekend. Still working through that setup but initial impressions are good.

On the Classic side, you'll tend to run that by itself, or pushed with a boost (the Page's are great here, but the effectrode firebottle is best). It's Dual Rec/Mark like in its gain character and structure.

Ive not played a Maiden, but i feel no need to get one given the Blackbird is excellent and has the 3 modes i'm finding uses for.

for a bit of a summary of how i use it:
1) Minstrel, Harlot, Jouster, Page, Page DS -> Blackbird Clean Mode-> Two Notes CAB w/Celestion Gold IR's.

2) Constable, Jester, Jouster -> Blackbird Creamy mode -> Two Notes CAB w/Celestion Cream IRs

3) Squire 86 -> Blackbird Creamy mode -> Two Notes CAB w/Celestion Blue or Ruby IRs

4) Page, Firebottle -> Blackbird Classic Mode -? Two Notes CAB w/Celestion Creambacks or FOA '64 AC30 w/ Cel Blues.

i need to get a decent poweramp to unlock it's full potential.

Lots of great combinations!
Have you tried the Page DS after Blackbird?

Mcentee2

I picked up a Page v2, but it didn't come with a PSU, I have one I can use but am wondering if Simon provides a PSU as standard that the previous owner might have kept back for some reason?

Tube Guy

Gold Supporting Member
I sold all my boosts, including some long time favorites after I got the Serf. Killer boost. I had Mode 3 modded to resemble the boost of the Jester Mode 3 mid boost. I use it all the time.
Ditto, my Serf is all mids: Original Serf, Jester Serf, Jester Serf +
The Squire 86 also acts as an amazing boost when placed early in the chain

Confession: I have a boost addiction, I've been through 24 this year, though it has been a while since I last bought a boost.

Silver Supporting Member
Ditto, my Serf is all mids: Original Serf, Jester Serf, Jester Serf +
The Squire 86 also acts as an amazing boost when placed early in the chain

Confession: I have a boost addiction, I've been through 24 this year, though it has been a while since I last bought a boost.
24?!? If my calculations are correct, it’s been <two weeks since you had your last boost. The only person you’re fooling is yourself. Now empty those pockets sir.

Joking aside, I’m a sucker for a really good boost as well. Loving the Page TS but I’m still in honeymoon period. I agree with you on the 86 also.

scotty31

Lots of great combinations!
Have you tried the Page DS after Blackbird?
hmm, i haven't.
I tend to use the 600ohm out of the blackbird direct to the CAB.

What i'll try is the BB -> DS -> via the FX loop of one of the amps and see what that's like.
I tend not to use the DS as a preamp. I like it stacked with the standard Page into my Tweed.

Matt E

Placed an order yesterday and they’ll ship this week. The Jouster V3 is not out of design stage yet so couldn’t get that and unbeknownst to me the Bard is getting redone. Amazing waiting a year excited only to find out what I wanted is unavailable. Get back on the list for next go round.

Ended up getting a Page V2 Boost and a Troubadour (I’ll leave you in suspense until it arrives).

Plus I pounced on a heck of a deal on a Jouster V2 off of reverb.
Pretty nice deals on some Minstrel V2 on Reverb currently. Three folks seem to be battling for lowest price. Heads up.

Now I need to sell some items to keep balance in the stable.

Last edited:

leonelh7

Placed an order yesterday and they’ll ship this week. The Jouster V3 is not out of design stage yet so couldn’t get that and unbeknownst to me the Bard is getting redone. Amazing waiting a year excited only to find out what I wanted is unavailable. Get back on the list for next go round.

Ended up getting a Page V2 Boost and a Troubadour (I’ll leave you in suspense until it arrives).

Plus I pounced on a heck of a deal on a Jouster V2 off of reverb.
Pretty nice deals on some Minstrel V2 on Reverb currently. Three folks seem to be battling for lowest price. Heads up.

Now I need to sell some items to keep balance in the stable.
Yup, I been waiting for the Bard for several months. The redesign seems to be worth the wait for me. I loved the first Bard I had.
Please give us a hint on the Troubadour!

Mcentee2

Yes, every pedal comes with a power supply. I would just use a one spot or power all or better yet get a cioks dc7 or Strymon Zuma.
Thanks for this confirmation, sorry it took so long to reply!

I had a deeper dig around my bits drawer and have found what looks to be a US style 9v supply that might be the one that came with the Page v2 but I must have cast it aside when opening the box and used a UK one.

It is a Triad Switching Mode supply, 9v 0.8A

P/N: WSU090-0800-R
Model: WS2U090-0800

Is this the right one ?

Matt E

Yup, I been waiting for the Bard for several months. The redesign seems to be worth the wait for me. I loved the first Bard I had.
Please give us a hint on the Troubadour!
Do you know what the Bard upgrades are going to include? The Troubadour is Simon’s upgraded design following the custom orders for the 5E3 Deluxe preamp. I think it is cool that he adjusts with what customers want, request, and he is willing to put the R&D time/effort into for a custom fee. He may like the challenge and he strives for delivering the best he can muster.

Trending Topics