• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

The Kingsley Pedal Club

Silver Supporting Member
Received a Jouster V2 bought off of Reverb today. Had a little time to play before the kids went to bed. Pretty awesome. I’ve waited for three years to find one either reasonably priced or on the list for a V3; if and when that one comes out.

Shipped without a power adapter, but I was in luck and had one on hand that met the spec requirements (12V DC 1000 mA Center +). I have no idea what that adapter was for originally, but glad I held onto it for tonight. Will possibly look for the Strymon or the Ciosk power supply sometime down the line. Excited to play some more tomorrow .
Very cool Matt! Jouster V2 was my first Kingsley. I actually didn’t bond with it at first. Not sure why... maybe that it was my first real tube OD and my ears needed to adjust? I really took a liking to it when I was able to run it at “stage” volume. That’s where it really shines!

You’re lucky to have had that PS on hand. I power mine with an Eventide PowerMax (cousin of the Cioks DC7, made by Cioks for Eventide). It works great. No doubt the Cioks or Strymon will work as well, but wanted to give you another option.

Have fun with it. They’re getting pretty rare at this point. Hopefully Simon will figure it all out and start offering the V3 soon.

Matt Griffin

Silver Supporting Member
Ok Kingsley experts - riddle me this one please...

I'm still settling in with my new Constable v2 and Page v2. Chain is:

Strat > Sun Face > Vick 73 Ram's Head > Unit 67 > TD-X > Constable > Page

I'm running the master on the Constable at around 9 o'clock and the Volumes around 10 and 11 o'clock. Tone knobs are all in the vicinity of 12 ish o'clock. The Page is set with Gain at 2 o'clock and Volume at 8 o'clock.

Almost everything sounds awesome. Except the Ram's Head... It sounds like it's buried under a wet blanket.

If I take the Constable and the Page offline the Ram's Head sounds awesome again. Crispy top end. All around Rockin' good time. Put the Kingsley's back on - wet blanket.

Can anyone fill me in on what's going on here that's robbing the crispy top end from the Ram's Head? I mean, the Sun Face - which is typically my "doesn't play nice with others" pedal sounds great. It's a fuzz too and it's also upstream of the Kingsleys, so I'm confused.

I expect I have some educating in store for me... Please fire away!
Apologies as I’m slowly catching up on the thread, but this sounds just like my issue a few weeks back. Maybe it’ll shed some light, or maybe it’s already solved? I’ll find out as I progress into the future of the thread!

Matt Griffin

Silver Supporting Member
Comrades: I want to get a boost in front of my Page to turn it into an OD. I was thinking TC Spark mini, but I was wondering if you guys have found any great combos. I was also thinking instead of a pure boost about getting a flat EQ'd OD that does a good boost, so I could add a little extra compression if desired. Thanks!
zombie threading a bit here, but I love using a Hudson Broadcast at 15v as a boost into my Page. The gain structures really complement each other, and the low cut keeps the page from flubbing out as it’s pushed.

Grendel2000

Supporting Member
Apologies as I’m slowly catching up on the thread, but this sounds just like my issue a few weeks back. Maybe it’ll shed some light, or maybe it’s already solved? I’ll find out as I progress into the future of the thread!
Yep - I'd pretty much come to a similar conclusion but I think you're dead on. When the page is breaking up it just soaks up certain frequencies from the Muff and they vanish, leaving it very soft sounding. I think my solution is going to be seeing if I can find a "compromise" gain setting on the Page where I can still get a bit of breakup from it but not so much that it's rolling off all of the high end and edge on my Muff...

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
Very cool Matt! Jouster V2 was my first Kingsley. I actually didn’t bond with it at first. Not sure why... maybe that it was my first real tube OD and my ears needed to adjust? I really took a liking to it when I was able to run it at “stage” volume. That’s where it really shines!

You’re lucky to have had that PS on hand. I power mine with an Eventide PowerMax (cousin of the Cioks DC7, made by Cioks for Eventide). It works great. No doubt the Cioks or Strymon will work as well, but wanted to give you another option.

Have fun with it. They’re getting pretty rare at this point. Hopefully Simon will figure it all out and start offering the V3 soon.
As they say everything sounds better with volume, but I am curious if you think the jouster does better with the volume well above unity or is it more important to have the amp cranked. I am thinking amp cranked and volume on the jouster just a touch above unity, but curious your thoughts.

It’s interesting to me that one of the reasons I go with gain pedals is not being able to crank my amp, then to come to find out that there is just no sub for volume. Recently I have been reamping a lot, but there really still is no substitute for volume which at home is hard to get.

Matt Griffin

Silver Supporting Member
Yep - I'd pretty much come to a similar conclusion but I think you're dead on. When the page is breaking up it just soaks up certain frequencies from the Muff and they vanish, leaving it very soft sounding. I think my solution is going to be seeing if I can find a "compromise" gain setting on the Page where I can still get a bit of breakup from it but not so much that it's rolling off all of the high end and edge on my Muff...
I also came to the conclusion that sometimes I don’t like to stack my fuzz into my OD. It just sounds perfect on its own. :D

Grendel2000

Supporting Member
I also came to the conclusion that sometimes I don’t like to stack my fuzz into my OD. It just sounds perfect on its own. :D
Agreed - but I've reached a point recently since getting the Kingsley pedals that switching from my normal "drive" tone (Page > Constable) to "Muff mode" involves three pedal state changes (Page/Constable - OFF, Muff - ON). 1st work problems, I know, but it makes me long for a switcher...

Last edited:

Matt E

As they say everything sounds better with volume, but I am curious if you think the jouster does better with the volume well above unity or is it more important to have the amp cranked. I am thinking amp cranked and volume on the jouster just a touch above unity, but curious your thoughts.

It’s interesting to me that one of the reasons I go with gain pedals is not being able to crank my amp, then to come to find out that there is just no sub for volume. Recently I have been reamping a lot, but there really still is no substitute for volume which at home is hard to get.
I did not crank my amps; put them at edge of breakup w/ guitar volume at ten. Then I put unity with the pedals on/off with guitar volume at like 6 so I have room either way. I play above unity so like around 7 on guitar volume and when I want to push it I will go to around 8, but very rarely ten. The pedals are working the amps quite nicely at that point. Plenty of volume if I’m not pushing 90-105 dB (from low to high) I’d be super surprised. Not bedroom level, but basement rock territory.

Very interestingly, I am using the Jouster as you would a tube screamer (on steroids) bc it is very mid pushed and rolls off the low end. The only tube screamer that has come somewhat close to this is the Tone King Guitar Duellist Soloist side bc of the shear volume of that pedal. Very much enjoying this as a counter to the Harlot v3 which has tons of lovely warm low end. Both pedals are super touch sensitive and add their character without tons of gain when you want and then you can dig in and the gain comes roaring through.

Very pleased with the Jouster. Want to be clear here, it is not a tube screamer, that is just how it fills the sound scape in my rig.

Last edited:

Grendel2000

Supporting Member
So: interim report and some questions as a new Kingsley guy on my Page / Constable combo...

The Page is wonderful. There's nothing I can say to complain about it objectively.

That said, I'd bought the Page v2 and Constable v2 combo based on the demos where Simon was running the Constable into the Page playing a LP. I play a Strat and a Tele and have had limited success finding all of the tones I'd hoped for.

I've tried Constable > Page and Page > Constable. I've used my Unit 67 to boost my Strat in both cases. In the end I'm finding my current results a mixed bag and I think that may be based on my own lack of experience.

The low gain / edge of breakup tones are wonderful across the board but I'm struggling to get to higher gain tones I like. Having only played solid state pedals prior to this through my amp's clean channel I love the organic "smooth" character of the drive I'm getting but I'm finding if somewhat "spongey" and loose when I want more gain. I've never played a real plexi, but I'd hoped to get somewhat crisper and stiffer "bark" from the Constable (more akin to Back In Black). I feel like I'm getting more scatter and less "bite".

Ultimately I'm concerned that there may be more overlap in the Page and Constable than I want and that cascading the Page into the Constable may be providing more "loose" gain than I want. Being my first tube pedals/Kingsleys I wonder if I may have been better off with options that were more fundamentally different? Perhaps a Jester or Harlot instead of the Constable?

Thoughts?

Last edited:

MogwaiBoy

I had a Jouster too. I was hoping it would be like a 2-channel Harlot, which it wasn't. Forward midrange and sharp bass cut are underlying features which couldn't be altered - it just sounded like a dirt pedal next to the Harlot (which was and still is like an amp channel), so I sold it. I'm guessing that it was discontinued because... it just wasn't that successful :-/ But I don't want to discourage anyone from buying and enjoying the Jouster.

So: interim report and some questions as a new Kingsley guy on my Page / Constable combo...

The Page is wonderful. There's nothing I can say to complain about it objectively.

That said, I'd bought the Page v2 and Constable v2 combo based on the demos where Simon was running the Constable into the Page playing a LP. I play a Strat and a Tele and have had limited success finding all of the tones I'd hoped for.

I've tried Constable > Page and Page > Constable. I've used my Unit 67 to boost my Strat in both cases. In the end I'm finding my current results a mixed bag and I think that may be based on my own lack of experience.

The low gain / edge of breakup tones are wonderful across the board but I'm struggling to get to higher gain tones I like. Having only played solid state pedals prior to this through my amp's clean channel I love the organic "smooth" character of the drive I'm getting but I'm finding if somewhat "spongey" and loose when I want more gain. I've never played a real plexiglass, but I'd hoped to get somewhat crisper and stiffer "bark" from the Constable (more akin to Back In Black). I feel like I'm getting more scatter and less "bite".

Ultimately I'm concerned that there may be more overlap in the Page and Constable than I want and that cascading the Page into the Constable may be providing more "loose" gain than I want. Being my first tube pedals/Kingsleys I wonder if I may have been better off with options that were more fundamentally different? Perhaps a Jester or Harlot instead of the Constable?

Thoughts?
I think you're on the right track thinking about the Jester or Harlot. I havent tried the Constable, mainly because Simon keeps talking me out of it for FOA use.

leonelh7

The low gain / edge of breakup tones are wonderful across the board but I'm struggling to get to higher gain tones I like. Having only played solid state pedals prior to this through my amp's clean channel I love the organic "smooth" character of the drive I'm getting but I'm finding if somewhat "spongey" and loose when I want more gain. I've never played a real plexiglass, but I'd hoped to get somewhat crisper and stiffer "bark" from the Constable (more akin to Back In Black). I feel like I'm getting more scatter and less "bite".

Thoughts?
If you are running it into an amp, the Harlot will be better. The constable comes to life when it hits a power amp.

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
I did not crank my amps; put them at edge of breakup w/ guitar volume at ten. Then I put unity with the pedals on/off with guitar volume at like 6 so I have room either way. I play above unity so like around 7 on guitar volume and when I want to push it I will go to around 8, but very rarely ten. The pedals are working the amps quite nicely at that point. Plenty of volume if I’m not pushing 90-105 dB (from low to high) I’d be super surprised. Not bedroom level, but basement rock territory.

Very interestingly, I am using the Jouster as you would a tube screamer (on steroids) bc it is very mid pushed and rolls off the low end. The only tube screamer that has come somewhat close to this is the Tone King Guitar Duellist Soloist side bc of the shear volume of that pedal. Very much enjoying this as a counter to the Harlot v3 which has tons of lovely warm low end. Both pedals are super touch sensitive and add their character without tons of gain when you want and then you can dig in and the gain comes roaring through.

Very pleased with the Jouster. Want to be clear here, it is not a tube screamer, that is just how it fills the sound scape in my rig.
Wow, you play a lot louder than I do at home. My basement volume is about 80dBA. Anything over 90dBA and I get out the ear plugs. I will say playing much lower than about 80dB and I just can’t get into it, but I am very volume sensitive since my late mother was an audiologist.

Jouster at the present moment is my favorite, but I am sure that might change if you ask me next week. Curious which mode you use most. I am currently using mode 2 on both channels, but have often used mode 1 as well. Don’t get along much with mode 3. I do find od2 cuts more bass than od1 and initially thought that was too much when I got the pedal, but the first time I used it live many moons ago, that changed my mind.

I also find it interesting that I seem to be in the minority that I have and like all the Kingsley pedals I have bought. You could hand me a harlot, jester, jouster, page, constable, squire, or maiden and I would be happy. I also like to have a lot of options, so maybe that’s it.

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
If you are running it into an amp, the Harlot will be better. The constable comes to life when it hits a power amp.
I agree with this. Constable is good front of amp, but awesome when it’s pushing a power amp like it was designed to in the first place. In fact when I see posts on the constable not having much gain, I have to remind myself that they are probably running it front of amp or are not pushing the power amp.

I will say front of amp I really like the constable as a tone sweetener with the gain set low. Kind of like how I have used the page or jester boost.

Grendel2000

Supporting Member
I agree with this. Constable is good front of amp, but awesome when it’s pushing a power amp like it was designed to in the first place. In fact when I see posts on the constable not having much gain, I have to remind myself that they are probably running it front of amp or are not pushing the power amp.

I will say front of amp I really like the constable as a tone sweetener with the gain set low. Kind of like how I have used the page or jester boost.
That's kinda my issue I think: running FOA the Constable feels awfully similar to the Page so I feel like I'm not getting everything I could out of my investment. Imean, Everything sound beautiful, but I don't feel like stacking them is maximizing things at all.

I could run the Constable into my effects loop but I still don't think I'd be pushing the power amp since I'm trying to get "great tone at reasonable volume levels". I just don't think I'll be turning up the amp enough to really drive the power section.

I'm thinking about going back again to try Constable > Page but using my Unit 67 to boost my Strat's level before it hits the Constable. That might get me closer to Simon's old demo videos with the LP (obviously hotter than my Strat - hoping the Unit 67 might get e closer to that).

Last edited:

leonelh7

I haven’t played all of the Kingsley pedals but all of the ones I have used/owned have been great. They all give me something different. I haven’t used the Constable but I am very familiar with Marshalls and how the preamp works. It NEEDS to hit the power amp hard. Well technically the phase inverter. From my chats with Simon, the Constable is built in that manner. The Harlot will give you an aggressive rock tone if that’s what you are chasing. You can always run the Constable hitting the fx return and hitting the Constable with the page and Unit67. I do something similar. I hit my Bogner Telos (JTM setting) with a Page and/or a Fulltone Ranger. The Bogner is around edge of breakup so the other two pedals push it hard. I have a Serf as a always on pedal for a buffer and a little mid boost. I play loud even at home so I can get some killer tones. I play with a Strat too. My family doesn’t mind and my neighbors are very far away!

Matt E

Wow, you play a lot louder than I do at home. My basement volume is about 80dBA. Anything over 90dBA and I get out the ear plugs. I will say playing much lower than about 80dB and I just can’t get into it, but I am very volume sensitive since my late mother was an audiologist.

Jouster at the present moment is my favorite, but I am sure that might change if you ask me next week. Curious which mode you use most. I am currently using mode 2 on both channels, but have often used mode 1 as well. Don’t get along much with mode 3. I do find od2 cuts more bass than od1 and initially thought that was too much when I got the pedal, but the first time I used it live many moons ago, that changed my mind.

I also find it interesting that I seem to be in the minority that I have and like all the Kingsley pedals I have bought. You could hand me a harlot, jester, jouster, page, constable, squire, or maiden and I would be happy. I also like to have a lot of options, so maybe that’s it.
I do play loud when I can, when I can’t I’m using a Fender Princeton w/ a 12” Cream back w/ minimal or no pedals. Sounds gorgeous.

Right now I use the Harlot most of the time, then when I want to cut through I will kick on the Jouster.

I typically run a compressor to beef up clean tones and add sustain, but I am thinking the Page may well fit that bill and I can do away with a compressor. Love the sustain and beefiness but not so much the evenness in volume (even with a blend control). Will have to play the Page to find out (shipped but waiting).

In my head the gain stage design on my pedal board is Page always on clean tone, kick in the Harlot for warmth and extra gain, and then kick on the Jouster for more gain with the mid push when the song needs that punch. I use a GiGRiG Quartermaster in flip flop mode to switch between them. I do not intend on stacking them.

I’ve had my hands on many top notch overdrives and they can be great, but there truly is something about the valves pushing a valve amp at volume that puts the Kingsley pedals a notch above IMHO to the point where I prefer them.

I’ve sold all but the King of Tone V4 which I have in a smaller grab and go pedal board and will use with the Princeton.

Trending Topics