The Kingsley Pedal Club

Krausewitz

I am thinking about getting a Page TS when my turn is called. Those that have one, how much mids can you get by cranking the mids knob and is it more of a low mids, high mids or goldielocks?
The mids sound somewhere around 1khz to me. I’d probably like them set a bit lower, actually, but there we are.

I don’t know if noon is neutral on the tone controls, but it certainly sounds that way to me. My controls don’t stray much from 12 o’clock. Small variations make a big difference.

dreamingaxe

Anyone with a Page TS, are the tone stack knobs all cut/boost as in 12:00 is neutral, clockwise is boost, counterclockwise is cut?
i have not asked Simon about this. Not sure whether it is neutral at 12. It is fairly transparent at noon-ish though. Like I went back and forth with my amp and just the PageTS, in unity volume and I really couldnt find a difference between the two. This is just my ears though.

all i know that the tonestack is pre-gain, the lows switch is pre-gain and highs switch is post-gain.

I am thinking about getting a Page TS when my turn is called. Those that have one, how much mids can you get by cranking the mids knob and is it more of a low mids, high mids or goldielocks?
this is probably something I cannot answer technically. The mids to me is where its pleasing to my ears, it doesnt sound too honky when set past noon, but it sounds a bit more present. It doesnt really dial out too, if you’re trying to make it mid-scoop’ed sounding. At least to my ears. I like to set it somewhere within 10 oclock to 1130 on the dial.

Come to think of it, maybe I should spend more time with it. Once I found the setting I liked, i stopped. It was the Jester that I put more attention to. Lol

dreamingaxe

Gone back to where i started with my board;

The Jester was the eye opener that kicked all non-valve OD pedals out of my life (i kept a handful but rarely use them).
Fits so nicely as a stack with the fuzz/octave from the CC2 & pushing the TZF into the cleaner sides of the amps.

amazing rig mate!

to be honest, I didnt love the Jester right away, i thought i made a mistake at first, but I kept at understanding it and knowing it, and I’m still at it, but its finally revealing it’s secrets, bit by bit. Lol.

i hope it will play well with my JTM/Constable when my name comes up again

scotty31

Silver Supporting Member
amazing rig mate!

to be honest, I didnt love the Jester right away, i thought i made a mistake at first, but I kept at understanding it and knowing it, and I’m still at it, but its finally revealing it’s secrets, bit by bit. Lol.

i hope it will play well with my JTM/Constable when my name comes up again
certainly one you need to work with, but once you work out the EQ and how interactive the volume and gain are with them, it's a special pedal.

also found it's not a pedal that plays well with V30s (to my ears).
My cabs are currently running blackbirds (Achillies) & greenbacks (soldano), plus Blues in the Top Boost.

If i was to pick 2 Kingsley's, the Jester & Constable would be it...
i am using my Constable less with the Park in the line up now. But i keep it around cos it hits the front of the SLO's crunch channel so well. Covers all the clapton tones i love :)

dpgreek

Silver Supporting Member
Gone back to where i started with my board;

The Jester was the eye opener that kicked all non-valve OD pedals out of my life (i kept a handful but rarely use them).
Fits so nicely as a stack with the fuzz/octave from the CC2 & pushing the TZF into the cleaner sides of the amps.

beautiful rig! Love that Park and CC. Honest question...what did you use to elevate the boogie on the park? Is that a shelf of sorts? I'm looking for something like that.

dpgreek

Silver Supporting Member
But i keep it around cos it hits the front of the SLO's crunch channel so well. Covers all the clapton tones i love
Interesting. Seems like a lot of folks in here use the Constable in front of their amp versus a standalone preamp. I'm currently having a WTH to do moment with my rig per the Constable and Maiden.

scotty31

Silver Supporting Member
Interesting. Seems like a lot of folks in here use the Constable in front of their amp versus a standalone preamp. I'm currently having a WTH to do moment with my rig per the Constable and Maiden.
yeah, i much prefer the Constable FOA into the right amp.
SLO crunch & Mesa LS Classic are two amps it's amazing in front of.

scotty31

Silver Supporting Member
beautiful rig! Love that Park and CC. Honest question...what did you use to elevate the boogie on the park? Is that a shelf of sorts? I'm looking for something like that.
just something i whipped up. it was originally a pedalboard i built, but it works nicely to get it elevation so the Mark tank doesn't sit on the Park handle.

it's just 3x bits of pine lengthways drilled into 2x bits of pine as braces. nothing too elaborate :)

Daverij

i have not asked Simon about this. Not sure whether it is neutral at 12. It is fairly transparent at noon-ish though. Like I went back and forth with my amp and just the PageTS, in unity volume and I really couldnt find a difference between the two. This is just my ears though.

all i know that the tonestack is pre-gain, the lows switch is pre-gain and highs switch is post-gain.

this is probably something I cannot answer technically. The mids to me is where its pleasing to my ears, it doesnt sound too honky when set past noon, but it sounds a bit more present. It doesnt really dial out too, if you’re trying to make it mid-scoop’ed sounding. At least to my ears. I like to set it somewhere within 10 oclock to 1130 on the dial.

Come to think of it, maybe I should spend more time with it. Once I found the setting I liked, i stopped. It was the Jester that I put more attention to. Lol
No! From the website:
'Note that the EQ circuit is located after the 2nd gain stage of the 12ax7. As such, lifting the EQ does not drive the tube harder - it simply adds volume and midrange thickness'.

johnetone

@Hugh Manitee I’m not sure why a couple dudes are naysaying the Page + Harlot in a single enclosure. All these custom ideas came from customers asking for what they want! The only reason I could see Simon saying he’d rather not do it is if he feels there’s just not enough room in any of his current enclosures to fit both without it being a total pain in the ass to build!

I think one way you might be able to get what you want is to ask for it to be a Page V2 and Harlot V2 so that you’re not trying to fit a 3rd foot switch in there.

But if you do need that third switch then you might have to wait until dude has a larger enclosure available.

Hugh Manitee

Exactly - I just meant to have the FET added on the second Page (essentially a Harlot) in the Marauder would be cool. No need for the 'More' footswitch.

I would use the first Page always-on, with gain set low and EQ's set open. And then if the FET were added to the second Page, you could have greater upper distortion range, while still having a lower gain Page boost sound as well.

Last edited:

Hugh Manitee

I think for a Marauder that would be 3 foot switches and no. But you can always ask Simon if he’d do something custom. But honestly the two Pages flat out gets you a lot of gain. May or may not be necessary depending on your needs.
Oh, I didn't mean to include the 'more' footswitch. It would be great to have just the Harlot's FET boost on the second Page, to have more gain available on that one.

The thing is, I would be setting the first Page to an always-on sound (clean, with EQ's very open - essentially just as a buffer), so I wouldn't really have the first one available to boost the second Page in series.
Strikes me as unlikely....
Does an FET take up a lot of space in an enclosure? Since he's already got complete circuits laid out for at least three different versions of the Harlot, it doesn't seem to me technically difficult.

But maybe another one of the new pedals would be better? Prior to all these, I was considering getting a Jester to use how I've described above (with the 'boost' of that pedal used as my always-on tone).

AceBSpankin

Prince of Ales
Silver Supporting Member
I would love to have the space/$... to have kept my V2 Page.
But I would not be using it to boost my Harlot.
YMWV

But my Mirasol and Supa-Boost both do an amazing job at pushing the Harlot.
"I think it needs some Mids"

Last edited:

Krausewitz

Oh, I didn't mean to include the 'more' footswitch. It would be great to have just the Harlot's FET boost on the second Page, to have more gain available on that one.

The thing is, I would be setting the first Page to an always-on sound (clean, with EQ's very open - essentially just as a buffer), so I wouldn't really have the first one available to boost the second Page in series.

Does an FET take up a lot of space in an enclosure? Since he's already got complete circuits laid out for at least three different versions of the Harlot, it doesn't seem to me technically difficult.

But maybe another one of the new pedals would be better? Prior to all these, I was considering getting a Jester to use how I've described above (with the 'boost' of that pedal used as my always-on tone).
Another option is to get the FET built into it's own enclosure. That is a route I'm considering. Adds flexibility, as well (can be used with different pedals).

Only down side is having one more thing to power.

dreamingaxe

No! From the website:
'Note that the EQ circuit is located after the 2nd gain stage of the 12ax7. As such, lifting the EQ does not drive the tube harder - it simply adds volume and midrange thickness'.
you are right.
From Simon,

“The tonestack in the Page TS is post gain. However, like the regular Page it has the "Highs" and "Lows" switches. The "Lows" is pre-drive. The "Highs" and tonestack are post drive.”

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
With all the "shock and awe" of this amazing board, I forgot to ask the main question that popped into my head. I assume that you run the the three preamp loops at preamp level. In other words, not at FOA levels. So how well do both the Boss MS-3 and the Diamond Memory Lane handle that?
Quoting myself here to hope somebody knows.

How well does a Boss MS-3 handle those preamp pedals operating at normal preamp levels? I'm amazed that it does, if it does.

Along those same lines, has anyone else had luck with putting the preamp pedals (operating at full preamp mode, not FOA mode) in loop switchers of any kind?

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Squire-D + Page DS on one side, and a Tumnus + Constable on the other side, of a JHS Switchback. No issues. Both in full pre-amp mode.
Thank you! That's exactly the sort of stuff I was wondering about.

I have a general assumption that the simpler switchers and A-B boxes probably handle the signal levels well. This would include your JHS pedal, the Boss LS-2 and maybe stuff like the EHX Switchback. But seeing that mega board that actually used three MS-3 loops really got me wondering. In that setup, MS-3 effects could be before and AFTER the three Kingsley tube preamp loops. That could be a real game changer.