The Kingsley Pedal Club

Matt Griffin

Silver Supporting Member
Oh, I didn't mean to include the 'more' footswitch. It would be great to have just the Harlot's FET boost on the second Page, to have more gain available on that one.

The thing is, I would be setting the first Page to an always-on sound (clean, with EQ's very open - essentially just as a buffer), so I wouldn't really have the first one available to boost the second Page in series.

Does an FET take up a lot of space in an enclosure? Since he's already got complete circuits laid out for at least three different versions of the Harlot, it doesn't seem to me technically difficult.

But maybe another one of the new pedals would be better? Prior to all these, I was considering getting a Jester to use how I've described above (with the 'boost' of that pedal used as my always-on tone).
Ah, OK. You just want a Harlot v2 and a Page in a box. I’d email Simon and ask! Report back and let us know. :D

dreamingaxe

certainly one you need to work with, but once you work out the EQ and how interactive the volume and gain are with them, it's a special pedal.

also found it's not a pedal that plays well with V30s (to my ears).
My cabs are currently running blackbirds (Achillies) & greenbacks (soldano), plus Blues in the Top Boost.

If i was to pick 2 Kingsley's, the Jester & Constable would be it...
i am using my Constable less with the Park in the line up now. But i keep it around cos it hits the front of the SLO's crunch channel so well. Covers all the clapton tones i love :)

Yeah, I'm still in that process.. Every little adjustment seem to be different from the previous setting.. Theres a lot in that pedal to learn.. I really like mode 3 of the od side.. its heavy and saturated, but it has a really nice gain texture!

its the reason why I'm going to use the Constable for break up and medium gain, and use the Jester for the mode 3.. Im also curious to hear how it responds going into my PageTS. at the moment, I have it wired last in my overdrive chain and the PageTS going into it.

cosmic_rust

Silver Supporting Member
Guess who said to heck with the wait list and got himself a Page V2 now instead of November? Oh yeah-- THIS guy! Official Kingsley Pedal Club member now, baby.

Still on the waitlist for the Minstrel V3 (in November... felt obliged to ensure I got at least one thing directly from Simon).

But now, seeing all this talk about the Constable running FOA (I only have one channel amps with no FX loops-- AC30HW, Deluxe Reverb, Clark Beaufort-- so I've always shied away from exploring Simon's pre-amps)... well, just might have to add that one to the list too...

Matt Griffin

Silver Supporting Member
Guess who said to heck with the wait list and got himself a Page V2 now instead of November? Oh yeah-- THIS guy! Official Kingsley Pedal Club member now, baby.

Still on the waitlist for the Minstrel V3 (in November... felt obliged to ensure I got at least one thing directly from Simon).

But now, seeing all this talk about the Constable running FOA (I only have one channel amps with no FX loops-- AC30HW, Deluxe Reverb, Clark Beaufort-- so I've always shied away from exploring Simon's pre-amps)... well, just might have to add that one to the list too...
You gotta report back on that Page. It’s a game changer!

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
Interested to hear from those that have compared the Kingsley preamps with some other options. I have a two notes cabm+ coming in and it has a 74 Bassman preamp you can enable, clips sound good, interested to compare it to the squire bf I have, both using the same cabm poweramp and Ir of course. So was curious if anyone had compared the iridium with any Kingsley preamps as well.

I am also still jonesing for a tubesteader beekeeper. The thought of being able to run it front of amp or as a preamp is intriguing and FOA so far has not been something I have really liked with the squire bf. Has anyone had compared the beekeeper to the juggler or the maiden/page ds pair.

macrossgeorge

Gold Supporting Member
Yall see this update on the Kingsley website? I bet this would be awesome running before a Page!

Brute
The Brute is a solid state high voltage boost. It uses a JFET as the amplifying gain stage and a mosfet source follower output for a low output impedance. Although it is a solid state circuit, the audio signal path is still all hand wired on tag board in exactly the same way as the rest of our tube pedal line.
The control set couldn't be simpler, with a Volume control (labeled "Punch") and a 3-way voicing switch (labeled "Attitude"). Mode 1 is a flat-ish boost, mode 2 is hotter with a leaner low end and mode 3 is the hottest with a little less low end still and a fairly aggressive biting upper midrange response.
Mode 2 and 3 are excellent for pushing amps and pedals into more breakup, with lots of output on tap.
Cost: $225 USD

Tabor

Silver Supporting Member
Anybody getting a Mason?
Looks like it’s a smaller 4 knob Page with more gain, in the small Peasant enclosure. That sounds like something pretty special to me.
I’m interested in this one too.
The Page, to me, doesn’t sound or feel as good past about 2:00 on the gain knob bc it starts to get very compressed and kind of lose definition.

I wonder if something has been changed in the Mason to allow for more gain overall as well as a more open overdriven sound? It seems there must be enough difference in the circuit that Simon hasn’t just filed it along with other Page variants.

I really like the Serf enclosure. The color is possibly my favorite along with the Squires and I like the petite size. (The website lists the Mason being built into the Serf enclosure not the Peasant btw).

(Maiden is not a color I like much fwiw so I think the Page TS looks better in its cream color vs the blue/green of the Maiden just to cast my vote on that debate).

Last edited:

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
Yall see this update on the Kingsley website? I bet this would be awesome running before a Page!

Brute
The Brute is a solid state high voltage boost. It uses a JFET as the amplifying gain stage and a mosfet source follower output for a low output impedance. Although it is a solid state circuit, the audio signal path is still all hand wired on tag board in exactly the same way as the rest of our tube pedal line.
The control set couldn't be simpler, with a Volume control (labeled "Punch") and a 3-way voicing switch (labeled "Attitude"). Mode 1 is a flat-ish boost, mode 2 is hotter with a leaner low end and mode 3 is the hottest with a little less low end still and a fairly aggressive biting upper midrange response.
Mode 2 and 3 are excellent for pushing amps and pedals into more breakup, with lots of output on tap.
Interesting. That's the first non tube pedal in the Kingsley lineup, right?

Tabor

Silver Supporting Member
The Brute sounds kinda like the Serf except solid state: one knob clean boost with flat, brighter and brightest settings.

macrossgeorge

Gold Supporting Member
Anyone who has owned both the Harlot V1 and V3, does the V3 sound as good as the v1? I love my Harlot v1 and use mode 2 and mode 3 (almost never use mode 1) but I would love to have a foot switch to go between those two modes. From what I understand, that is basically what the v3 is for but it also has a 3 way toggle for highs and another for lows and the more knob to control how much more you get in the high gain mode. How does v3 compare tonally to v1 in medium mode and high gain mode?

johnetone

The Brute

Brute
Yeah man! Solid. It’s the boost that is on the left side of the JPage. Maybe we should just call it the Pugilist.

Tabor

Silver Supporting Member
Pretty sure the Brute is the same circuit in his Page J pedals. It’s an awesome circuit; it’s my favorite JFET boost I’ve ever played. Mode 2 is fantastic.

I prefer it to the Serf.
So it's a totally clean boost then I figure...
(I wonder what it'll look like. The description doesn't mention which enclosure will be used).

I'm also starting to wonder whether the Mason is what used to be the Page Z since I don't see the Page Z listed on the new custom build section of the website. I'm hoping the Mason is actually different enough from the Page so that that extra gain range can be more open sounding. The Mason and Artisan are the ones really catching my eye these days (but I have another 7 months to decide).

leonelh7

Got the wonderful email that a Page TS and Bard are on the way! The bard is the updated version and the Page is with the new enclosure. Will look good in my board. If I would have know about the brute, I might have gotten it. Oh well.

PRSAtomic

Gold Supporting Member
Interested to hear from those that have compared the Kingsley preamps with some other options. I have a two notes cabm+ coming in and it has a 74 Bassman preamp you can enable, clips sound good, interested to compare it to the squire bf I have, both using the same cabm poweramp and Ir of course. So was curious if anyone had compared the iridium with any Kingsley preamps as well.

I am also still jonesing for a tubesteader beekeeper. The thought of being able to run it front of amp or as a preamp is intriguing and FOA so far has not been something I have really liked with the squire bf. Has anyone had compared the beekeeper to the juggler or the maiden/page ds pair.
I have a Master Effects Thespian preamp. I like it a lot. It works well with some pedals but starts to squeal with others when I stack overdrives depending on which power amp I use. I was using it as a bass preamp direct into my computer with the Two Notes power amp and cabinet simulation. Right now I’m using it into an effects loop with the Klirrton GOAT pedal. Face melting highly compressed chain saw gain. The gain is probably as good or better than my Mesa Studio preamp was with the Fryette Power Station as a power amp.

johnetone

So it's a totally clean boost then I figure...
(I wonder what it'll look like. The description doesn't mention which enclosure will be used).

I'm also starting to wonder whether the Mason is what used to be the Page Z since I don't see the Page Z listed on the new custom build section of the website. I'm hoping the Mason is actually different enough from the Page so that that extra gain range can be more open sounding. The Mason and Artisan are the ones really catching my eye these days (but I have another 7 months to decide).
It’s actually not totally clean if its the same as the JPage. That one is clean - low gain - mid gain in the circuit.

dpgreek

Silver Supporting Member
Hey preamp folks.... wondering if any of you still run your stuff into a Fryette PS-2 or PS-100? Wondering if you're able to get that crunchy goodness from driving it with a Constable? Simons vids sounds great...just wanted to hear from others and ask if they still use it or dig it