The Kingsley Pedal Club

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Master Effects Thespian preamp. I like it a lot. It works well with some pedals but starts to squeal with others when I stack overdrives depending on which power amp I use. I was using it as a bass preamp direct into my computer with the Two Notes power amp and cabinet simulation. Right now I’m using it into an effects loop with the Klirrton GOAT pedal. Face melting highly compressed chain saw gain. The gain is probably as good or better than my Mesa Studio preamp was with the Fryette Power Station as a power amp.
Sheesh! I probably did not need to click on the Master Effects website!

Gold Supporting Member
Quoting myself here to hope somebody knows.

How well does a Boss MS-3 handle those preamp pedals operating at normal preamp levels? I'm amazed that it does, if it does.

Along those same lines, has anyone else had luck with putting the preamp pedals (operating at full preamp mode, not FOA mode) in loop switchers of any kind?
Sorry for not replying sooner. I’ve tested the Kingsleys through the MS3, the Diamond ML2 and a Fender Reverb RI. Using Strat/tele/LP/DOT guitars.

The reverb clips sometimes, depending on settings on both the preamps and the tank.

The ML2 doesn’t clip at all.

The MS3 doesn’t clip, but I use it primarily as a loop switcher, and the multifx is there for the rare moment I want to add an effect other than delay or reverb (although the MS3 does those as well). Point being, I haven’t tested the MS3 with a bunch of effects loaded.

I’ve also had my K preamps connected via a 3 loop TB looper that I built. Obviously no clipping through that one. Simon says (hehe) that he uses a multi TB looper to switch between preamps himself.

The one thing that all of my preamps DO clip though, is my Infinity looper. That one hurts.

Last edited:

PRSAtomic

Gold Supporting Member
Heh - you made me look!

Is "Doug" Dave's brother maybe? Didn't he play electric banjo?
You haven't lived until you heard Doug's version of cripple creek played through that banjo of his and a stack of Hiwatt's. Trouser flapping good times.

cosmic_rust

Silver Supporting Member
I met ol' Doug at an airport once in '04. I was the only one to recognize him. I asked him what was his favorite tune that he wrote with Floyd and, to my surprise, he said "Seamus" from Meddle. Apparently, that's him howling on the record. Multi-talented guy, that Doug.

Hugh Manitee

Ah, OK. You just want a Harlot v2 and a Page in a box. I’d email Simon and ask! Report back and let us know. :D
So I asked about modifying the Marauder to get more distortion range on the second Page circuit.

Paraphrasing, the High & Low cut switches on one of the Page circuits would have to be removed in order to add the FET. Or, a second Gain control could be assigned the first Page which would be engaged when the second Page is activated - presumably at the expense of the first Page's Tone control. Some interesting modification options for the Marauder!

As long as the first Page would be voiced transparently for no High & Low cut, or 1-2 o'clock-ish Tone settings, respectively, I would be good with either of those.

I also asked about switching the order of the boost in the Jester to be pre-OD/gain, rather than post, for the purpose of using the boost as a foundation "always-on" tone. He said he's actually tried this, but it's proven unsatisfactory due to noise issues likely stemming from lead dress.

Last edited:

Gold Supporting Member
I also asked about switching the order of the boost in the Jester to be pre-OD/gain, rather than post, for the purpose of using the boost as a foundation "always-on" tone. He said he's actually tried this, but it's proven not unsatisfactory due to noise issues likely stemming from lead dress.
Humph... you would've known that if you read anything past the thread title. Seriously, do people even read any more?

Kidding! I would recommend trying questions here first though. Many of the custom offerings have been created or requested by the members of the club.

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
Sorry for not replying sooner. I’ve tested the Kingsleys through the MS3, the Diamond ML2 and a Fender Reverb RI. Using Strat/tele/LP/DOT guitars.

The reverb clips sometimes, depending on settings on both the preamps and the tank.

The ML2 doesn’t clip at all.

The MS3 doesn’t clip, but I use it primarily as a loop switcher, and the multifx is there for the rare moment I want to add an effect other than delay or reverb (although the MS3 does those as well). Point being, I haven’t tested the MS3 with a bunch of effects loaded.

I’ve also had my K preamps connected via a 3 loop TB looper that I built. Obviously no clipping through that one. Simon says (hehe) that he uses a multi TB looper to switch between preamps himself.

The one thing that all of my preamps DO clip though, is my Infinity looper. That one hurts.
Thanks!

Reactions: WWW

aaronjcurtis

Silver Supporting Member
Just put a Peasant on my board. Running after my fuzz/treble booster. Great chain EQ/conditioner. Had the EUNA for a bit and that was a great pedal too, but the feel from the Peasant and how the impedance/EQ works just makes more sense to my brain.

If anyone has any tips or tricks for the Peasant drop me a line.

dpgreek

Silver Supporting Member
Felt like recording something quick.... for you folks wondering about Constable and Crucible and Torpedo CAB M.

Lower headphone volume just in case...but I kept levels down for mp3.

Signal chain:

Les Paul Classic with Fralin Pure PAF >
Constable (output full right, master noon, bass 11, middle 2, treble 1, volume 2 11, volume 1 2:30, bright switch to the right) >
Crucible (NFS down (second position) Line out volume noon, tone 2, presence 1 volume full >
Torpedo CABM (with only EL34 power amp simulation, volume 65, contour 60, depth 65) and high pass filter 75hz) using Ownhammer Creamback 65 IR (sm57 on IR 1 and R121 on IR 2)

First take is Constable into Torpedo CABM (with EL34 power amp sim)
Second take is Constable > Crucible > Torpedo CABM (no power amp sim)
Third take is Constable > Crucible > Torpedo CABM (with EL34 power amp sim)

disclaimer...did this quick for fun, didn't really adjust a lot things, but probably should have upped the second take volume.

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
Heh - you made me look!
I had no idea there was a sort of metal guitar thing related to the Marshall Valvestate, Peavey Bandit, plus all those others they make. It is kind of cool that they make the actual Gallien Krueger 250ML. Plug that baby into a Power Station and you have instant ‘80s Lifeson.

Matt Griffin

Silver Supporting Member
So I asked about modifying the Marauder to get more distortion range on the second Page circuit.

Paraphrasing, the High & Low cut switches on one of the Page circuits would have to be removed in order to add the FET. Or, a second Gain control could be assigned the first Page which would be engaged when the second Page is activated - presumably at the expense of the first Page's Tone control.

As long as the first Page would be voiced transparently for no High & Low cut, or 1-2 o'clock-ish Tone settings, respectively, I would be good with either of those.

I also asked about switching the order of the boost in the Jester to be pre-OD/gain, rather than post, for the purpose of using the boost as a foundation "always-on" tone. He said he's actually tried this, but it's proven not unsatisfactory due to noise issues likely stemming from lead dress.

Some interesting modification options for the Marauder!
Interesting! Honestly I still think you can get plenty of gain out of the stacked Pages, and it may not be worth losing the tone controls. I can post a clip of the highest gain I can get and see what you think.

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
Felt like recording something quick.... for you folks wondering about Constable and Crucible and Torpedo CAB M.

Lower headphone volume just in case...but I kept levels down for mp3.

Signal chain:

Les Paul Classic with Fralin Pure PAF >
Constable (output full right, master noon, bass 11, middle 2, treble 1, volume 2 11, volume 1 2:30, bright switch to the right) >
Crucible (NFS down (second position) Line out volume noon, tone 2, presence 1 volume full >
Torpedo CABM (with only EL34 power amp simulation, volume 65, contour 60, depth 65) and high pass filter 75hz) using Ownhammer Creamback 65 IR (sm57 on IR 1 and R121 on IR 2)

First take is Constable into Torpedo CABM (with EL34 power amp sim)
Second take is Constable > Crucible > Torpedo CABM (no power amp sim)
Third take is Constable > Crucible > Torpedo CABM (with EL34 power amp sim)

disclaimer...did this quick for fun, didn't really adjust a lot things, but probably should have upped the second take volume.

Sounds good. Really curious if you are using the enhancer on the cabm? Do you have a recommendation for the best stock Ir to use with the constable or a squire bf?

Appreciate the help as I have to play live in a little over a week and don’t have much time to deep dive in the cabm. Going to go with the squire bf to keep things simple.

j.s.tonehound

Hey preamp folks.... wondering if any of you still run your stuff into a Fryette PS-2 or PS-100? Wondering if you're able to get that crunchy goodness from driving it with a Constable? Simons vids sounds great...just wanted to hear from others and ask if they still use it or dig it
Yup, currently running a Harlot into a Squire 86 into a PS-100. Super versatile setup covering clean crunch and vicious OD. The two channels on the PS-100 is great for tuning very different EQ on the clean vs OD, and having a pedal level loop doesn't hurt!

dpgreek

Silver Supporting Member
Really curious if you are using the enhancer on the cabm?
no enhancer used. It's cool though...and works well. Depends on what you're doing with it.

Only thing I did was engage the power amp and custom EQ and only use that high pass filter / shelf

I have a Maiden D, close enough to squire BF. For the stock cabs the Silver77 and Utah work well. Just gotta play with the settings. Everyone likes different things

dpgreek

Silver Supporting Member
Yup, currently running a Harlot into a Squire 86 into a PS-100. Super versatile setup covering clean crunch and vicious OD. The two channels on the PS-100 is great for tuning very different EQ on the clean vs OD, and having a pedal level loop doesn't hurt!
I'm really eyeballing that PS-2A and PS-100. The 100 is cool for having two channels... Do the Brite and Warm switches affect both channels?

j.s.tonehound

I'm really eyeballing that PS-2A and PS-100. The 100 is cool for having two channels... Do the Brite and Warm switches affect both channels?
Yeah, they're global. They work beautifully as a kind of 'master range' to the rest of the controls. I tend to use them to quickly dial in different guitars rather than changing all of the controls.