"The Knick"

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Shamus, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Shamus

Shamus Supporting Member

Anyone else watching this show? Quite awesome: soundtrack, period details,,,, something like Pulp Victoria...

First episode was promoted as a free watch on Youtube.

2. scottl

scottl Member

I watched both episodes.... Good show IMO.

3. Mr.Strat

Mr.Strat Member

listened to a profile on it on NPR the other day with the creators and writers. Apparently it is one of the "darkest" shows ever made - in the sense of lighting; they used a camera that could be used in low light settings to authenticate the feel of what it was like working back at the turn of century with candles and and the advent of electricity and indoor lighting. The director said it makes for a different feel because all the actors pupils are largely open, and not dilated, and it makes for a different feel.

I havent seen an episode yet.

4. Chippertheripper

Chippertheripper Supporting Member

I watched just the first one so far. I was hoping it was going to be more about bodysnatching & the likes, and less about the business of the hospital, but I'll certainly keep watching.

5. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

I liked the first two episodes, but there is a lot of potential to be about the inner workings of a New York Hospital on the business side, not interesting. But the operating theaters and the sickening cruel surgeries they perform and the whole thread about learning new techniques with each experimental operation, well that is a lot more compelling.

The main characters addiction to cocaine I understand was not particularly rare in those days. I heard the NPR story too and it seems doctors were used to taking many medications to see the effects first hand.

The ambulance men and the thuggery used to propel patients to one hospital or another based what the patient may be able to afford and how much the hospital might pay the ambulance men, just a whole racket I never dreamed of.

The black surgeon is really neat character, opens his own clinic in the basement, a real doctor, he may prove more medicine man than the Thack and the others expect.

The whole situation with the electricity and the obvious unscrupulous Hospital Adminstrator and the unscrupulous contractors/thugs he has made deals with (not to mention his real money problems with gangsters) is going to be a interesting thread in there too.

Pretty well done throughout, I loved the look and the less that hidef quality to the finished product. It has a smoky dark foggy nature that just hangs over the whole thing without looking fake or painted on, pretty nice. Will watch a few more for sure.

6. starjag

starjag Member

Enjoying this show!

7. hk45acp

hk45acp Member

Love this show, they film near me and do a great job recreating NY in the early 20th century. They put down a ton of dirt to cover the streets and cover the modern day awnings with period correct ones and made these great storefronts. Many buildings in the Lower East Side were built during that era and are still there.
    Odd to turn a corner and go from seeing Dunkin Donuts to a dirt street with horses and carriages

8. Shamus

Shamus Supporting Member

Mr. Strat - didn't think about that aspect. Had heard about the extreme attention to detail regarding period medical instruments, setting, props, clothing, etc.. But not the actual lighting conditions of the day. Cool!

9. Jason Calieri

Jason Calieri Silver Supporting Member