The L6 'Dream Rig' is the real deal!

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by crispsandwich, Feb 28, 2012.

1. crispsandwich

crispsandwich Member

I have had my DT25 for 4 days now, and I was able to resuscitate my beloved Variax 300 last night (it was a loose connection under the B-string pickup that was to blame).

Firstly, I don't understand the criticism of the low volume tones. I personally actually think the 'pre' models, with the amp's master running high and channel volume low, is the best way to run this amp low volume, but the low volume mode and various other permutations all sound acceptable.

When turned up, this thing ROARS and it could hold its' own against most valve amps in terms of tone. With the HD500, there are so many quality tones available. The JCM800 model sounds absolutely fantastic with the DT25 and using the Les Paul Vax 300 emulation. Line 6 have also nailed the 'Treadplate' tone IMO. Great stuff :).

The only downside, for me, is that there is no way to run the Vax acoustic models through the speaker using the HD500. I realise it would colour the tone a bit, but I'd still like to have the option. When the amp selection is disabled, there is no output - period. It would be nice to see this addressed in a firmware update.

I will eventually buy a JTV Variax, but the tones I'm getting so far are amazing. I don't gig at the moment and see no reason to spend an extra £1000.

I'm off to play some more.

2. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I called my local GC to see about stopping by to try out the DT25 and was told they are only being carried at "Platinum Room" GC's

:peenut

Give me a freaking break. You would think the stores would learn that it's so much easier (and many times cheaper!) for me to just buy, try and return online that they would go out of their way to cater to customers that walk into their stores... platinum room... whatever.

3. Gtrman100

Gtrman100 Member

You can create a patch with a connection from the effects send to your FRFR system, and select NO AMP, you can get the un-speaker emulated output from your HD500. I gig with my "dream rig" and it works great. The acoustic sound through the PA is better than my piezo equipped acoustics.

They even fixed the tuner mute mode so that it mutes through the effects send when tuning in the last update.

4. Johnny Vox

Johnny Vox Member

It's VERY powerful for sure. Honestly I still find it interesting to read about new peaces of digital/modeling gear but I don't see myself changing my "dream rig" setup for a very long time :)

5. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

I agree, that would be sweet

6. lespaulidas

lespaulidas Member

First time poster here / board lurker - just wanted to pipe in.

I just completed my dream rig setup as well with the recent addition of my JTV 59 to my HD-500/DT-50 212 setup. I was blown away at how awesome the entire rig is. I have been extremley happy with my HD-500 / DT-50 212 for the past year. For low volume, I run a Dr Z Air-Brake Attenuator before my DT-50's speaker and love the results I get.

I agree about the Variax Acoustic and how to run through the HD/DT. I created a acoustic patch that dials up a HIWATT to amplify that gets me by. However I believe there will be a new addition to the amps in Firmware version 2.0 such as “Vintage” HD Mic Preamp Model that will be usable for the VAX acoustic patches.

7. Johnny Vox

Johnny Vox Member

Speaking of which, anyone know when the new HD & variax FW is going to be available?

8. lespaulidas

lespaulidas Member

They still say 1st Q 2012, so should be soon.....

9. meambobbo

meambobbo Member

That HD mic pre-amp is actually an effect, not an amp block. I expect it to drop 3/31 because they said "sometime in February/March".

10. meambobbo

meambobbo Member

"When the amp selection is disabled, there is no output - period."

That's not true... when you select an amp but turn off the amp block, you get a "bypass volume" knob that controls how much output is coming out the unit. With no amp block selected, I believe the signal passes straight through unaltered. Are you sure you're routing the Variax correctly through the Pod and have the correct mixer settings on the Pod?

11. cardinal

cardinal Member

I don't think I've read a bad review of the DT series. Started to be very interested in this rig.

12. hanales

hanales Member

My DT-50 arrives Thursday, Freaking out!!!!!!!

13. SquashPile

SquashPile Member

Geez.. I spent two hours watching DT25 vids last night. Must resist.

14. Gtrman100

Gtrman100 Member

Yer gonna love it. I never gig with my Matchless, Pro Reverb, Marshall or GT amps anymore...

15. Gtrman100

Gtrman100 Member

...resistance is futile, come over to the Dark Side, Skywalker!!

16. SquashPile

SquashPile Member

I own the HD500 so that is definitely hurting my Dark Side resistance.

17. clintmartin

clintmartin Member

With the DT50 you'll find out just how good that HD500 is!

18. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I experimented with the LVM mode last night an IMHO you're right on there.

The LVM really adds in some additional power amp drive when the volume is really quiet. I find the preamp only sims can be pretty dry and sterile at this level (as there is no poweramp drive what so ever) so the LVM fills them out even without running a full sim (you can just flick the LVM switch and you're off).

I'm finding the Marshall sim to be a bit tricky. I've got a nice clean to low breakup tone but the gainy stuff isn't there yet. I'm going for Iron Maiden, Randy Roads etc up to Jose Plexi level gain and it's either too dry or too fizzy. I stumbled on one of the L6 JCM patches last night that seems to be a good base so I might be making progress here.

I'm starting to download tones from CustomTone but they don't seem to have a section for the DT series which is crazy.

Line 6 if you are listening...add the DT 25 and DT 50 to the mix!!

Has anyone tried running a preamp through the DT's FX return yet?

If you have, does the DI out work?

I think I need to try this as it could be a cool way of reamping. I guess I could just run it in the HD's loop and turn off any sims and it just substitutes the tube preamp for the L6 preamp...hmm very interesting...

Also, does the DI out sound better than using the POD outputs? I also might have to try this into my mixer for quiet practice as I dislike the HD by itself.

One last question!

How does the HD take pedals in front and in the loop? I'm thinking of running some analogue pedals to help out my Marshall tones.

I have to admit that the flexibility of this rig is great. The tones are solid and the flexibility of being able to have decent sounds whether it's run really quietly or really loud and the inclusion of DI etc is very useful indeed. L6 really did flesh this rig out!

19. mattball826

mattball826 Member

many stores not carrying full lines. they know many more times consumer tries their stocked gear and orders online form other retailer. i dont blame them.

20. Johnny Vox

Johnny Vox Member

The pedals I use in the HD loop are M9 (great 'instant access' pedalboard), fuzz factory clone, and digitech whammy iv (not a huge fan of the pitch glide). IMO it takes these pedals very well. I have heard that it takes other analog drives just as an amp would also.