The Landgraff Dynamic overdrive questions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bmenary, Aug 10, 2008.

1. bmenary

bmenary Member

Does anyone know if the Landgraff Dynamic overdrive still being made?

How can I get in touch with Landgraff?

Is the concenceous positive on the sound of this pedal?

Thanks

bmenary
    Wilmette, IL

2. marsos52

marsos52 Member

3. Skykrab

Skykrab Member

Go through the Blue Angel web site...Jim the owner is a super cool guy, and fellow USN (ret.). I was lucky enough to be in the store when Mr. Landgraff's wife walked in with 4 LDO's...yup i bought one of those puppies right then and there...also take a look at the Bob Burt OD. Another similar OD and it's a little cheaper...

4. soulsonic

soulsonic Member

Lovekraft Mojo Drive is the same thing for a small fraction of the price.

5. Patch

Patch Gold Supporting Member

6. bmenary

bmenary Member

That web site is a dead link???
    Phone # anyone? and thanks for the help

7. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Just so you will know, Jim makes them to order. So the Blue Angel ones are voiced "stock", some of the ones you'll find for sell are voiced for people's rigs so not all LDO sound alike. I recently bought one that changed hands twice before I got it and it was bright. I called Jim and he had me send it back and he tweeked it for my rig. $20.00 shipped back.

8. duster77

duster77 Member

email eric-d for info on contacting john...it's a simple phone call away..but I dont know the #...my bro eric does.

9. duster77

duster77 Member

soulsonic writes:

"Lovekraft Mojo Drive is the same thing for a small fraction of the price."

I DONT WANNA START A BIG WAR......and the LDO I have to test is not a blues angel but rather a "sounds perfect" built by john for john and the passed on to us...
    My mojodrive..does NOT...sound the same as the LDO...I know lovekraft says he builds em exactly the same as john....and I am no pedal builder...inspector..or any officionado when it comes to components....
    they arent the same...
    D

10. eric-d

eric-d Member

PM me and I'll pass the info - I have to agree with Duster on the two pedals in question. My LDO does not sound like his Mojo-Drive. They're close - but there are some differences. His pedal has less mids and is brighter than my LDO. His has about or just a tad more output than mine. I think mine is a tad smoother than his is. You can get one from Blue Angel quicker than ordering from John. If you do want it tweaked to what you're looking for - the wait is well over a year.

11. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Member

I happened to call Blues Angel Music when he had a LDO and a MO'd and I bought both. When they arrived, I put them on the board next to a LoveKraft Mojo Drive and honestly could not tell the difference except for the MO'd had more gain. LoveKraft is the way to go!

vtg

12. duster77

duster77 Member

Well Im glad you dig on the mojo...It's certainly better on the pocketbook.. And all ears are different..One guys likes this..Another guys hates it... All this being said..
    NOTHING..sounds as good as my clubman plugged straight in ..no pedals...with the preamp and master at noon... A creamy..saggy..sustainy...dream tone..that no pedal can create...
    Does anyone have any old stock nkt 275 transistors..I recently aquired a new..custom built london fuzz....based on eric's london sounding FANTASTIC...but mine new one sounds like CRAP!!!! No offense mjm...I know that finding and matching quality nkt's is becoming harder and harder these days...
    Just ordered the newest zeek overdrive... Me and eric will put here through the rigors when she gets here...
    peace
    the duster

13. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

Eric, don't you have one that's been tweaked by John?

If that's the case it doesn't make for a fair, objective comparison -- because you're comparing a "stock" pedal (the mojo-drive) to a tweaked pedal. Moreover, not all of the component values are the same -- if they were I doubt most people would be able to tell the pedals apart in a blind listening test. Conversely, if you A/B'd a tweaked LDO with a stock one they're obviously not going to sound quite the same.

14. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

Everyone that comes in here will say that their real LDO sounds much much better than the other Tube Screamer clones on the market. Of course they would say that. They paid upwards of $500 for the pedal and want to be able to get that much for it when they sell it. They will talk it up for days hoping the value doesn't go down. I have played every one of the high dollar tube screamers. They all sound the same and they're all pretty bland. Skip the LDO and get an eternity.

15. eric-d

eric-d Member

True - but my friend's Mojo is also tweaked a bit... I understand there's going to be differences.... I have to admit - my LDO isn't the average LDO.

Honestly - I tried the Eternity - which is a very good pedal - but I already could cover that sound with the up postion on my LDO... :D IMHO - the LDO is one of the best TS clones I have found. But I also like the some other builders versions that are REALLY nice.

16. lv

lv Supporting Member

I sold all my Landy pedals (and others) when I got my Glaswerks - Joh will tell anyone who calls his pedal is a modded tubescreamer built with nicer parts, some mods, and different part values. I think his pedals sound great, I think the Lovekraft stuff sounds great too, slightly different though. Some people might even prefer the Lovekraft. I have clips of both in my gear demo link.

17. Tomo

Tomo Member

I made this thread... please post sound clip of those pedal if you have a chance.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=425626&highlight=tomo

Tomo

18. duster77

duster77 Member

Oh...if it's clips you want...eric and I shall deliver...
    Which pedals specifically do you wanna hear?
    Do you wanna hear em through a:
    1993 clubman 35 w/1997 matchless 4x10 cab...or
    Dr. Z kt45 with 2x12 ZBEST cab..or
    1965 Super Reverb...or
    jtm45 clone with bluesbreaker 2x12 cab..or
    fender blues deville 1993 4x10 combo...or
    fender 1978 musicmaster bass 1x10...or
    orange rockerverb 50..orange 2x12 cab(not recommended..)
    I think we have a gorilla and a broken trainwreck too..
    :0
    D

19. lukeII

lukeII Supporting Member

I have an LDO and I wouldn't say that. The LDO is a very cool pedal but I like my Zendrive better than the bottom position on the switch of the Landy, I like the timmy better than the middle position because it's eq is much more efficient than the LDo and you can use it as an eq, clean boost or light transparent drive. As for the top position on the LDO I prefer either a COT Gold or an OCD v3 for that.

The LDO is a very cool pedal with a lot of options (i have to use 3 pedals to do what it does and better it) but it isn't the ultimate pedal of its genre. The other thing is that I feel the gain comes on way to quickly (I got a std one from Blues Angel) I use it between 9 o'clock and 11 o'clock max.

20. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

I just bought this one.Any sounds advice to pass on? I'm still playing with it at the moment.Not too keen on the bottom toggle setting(too compressed),but the mid position and top are great.Using fender and marshall amps.Blues/Rock style.Like Doyle Bramhall II(thats why I bought an LDO),and Hendrix etc.Any wisdom from long term LDO owners would be greatly appreciated!