The Last Amp That Surprised You?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by scmavl, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Gillespie1983

Gillespie1983 Member

I wanted to try out 335 style guitars in the local guitar store. I plugged into a Silvertone 1484 to demo the guitars, but within two chords, I forgot the guitar and fell for the amp. I bought that same amp later that year.

JK1965, Trick Fall and zenas like this.
  2. big jilm

big jilm Supporting Member

My Carr Mercury V. I played it in the store and loved the grind it gets at both band volume and bedroom volume. What really surprised me about it was how great the clean sounds are. Bought it for AC/DC gain levels and end up playing it clean most of the time because of how beautiful it is.
    [​IMG]

3. jpurcell

jpurcell Member

I had a friend back in the late 60's who used to use a 335 and a Silvertone Twin 12 piggyback amp.
    Even at that time to my young inexperienced ears I thought his tone was fantastic.

Gillespie1983 likes this.
  4. Penguinchit

Penguinchit Member

Fender Champion 600 - After all the reading and reviews of people saying how great it is, I had to try one. So underwhelming. It's a small speaker in a small box that sounds like a small speaker in a small box. It didn't last 3 weeks in my stable.

Tone_Terrific likes this.
  5. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

Randall Satan.
    Especially through a 360w Boogie Recto 4x12.

big mike likes this.
  6. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Carol-Ann Tucana 2 (even though I now have a Tucana 3). It was the first channel switcher I ever played that sounded great. Every single other one I played and owned had significant short comings. So I played about 10 different single channel amps for about 17 years before my Tucana.

7. chillybilly

chillybilly Member

65 Amps SoHo.

I've owned it for over a year but finally had cause/opportunity to take it up for an extended spell around the 10 o'clock on the master (with bump off and volume about 10 o'clock as well) this weekend at a gig. HELLO! :eek: This thing was chiming beautifully like Big Ben at noon on Christmas.

I usually ask friends/family after the gig how the live sound was during the gig. This time it was 'pretty good although the guitar was stronger on your side of the stage (from the amp).' I felt absolutely no remorse. o_O

gaelicsolus likes this.
  8. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

Recently, there has been two amps. I never played a tweed Deluxe or an 18 watt Marshall before. So I bought a Lil Dawg 5E3 Tweed Deluxe – The D-Lux. I was floored. I really didn't know what to expect, but this just blew me away. The other one was a used Carol-Ann 67-18C 18 watt combo with a Greenback. Another big "WOW". I was expecting a sort of fizzy tone due to the EL84's but this thing has gorgeous tone. Almost rivals my two Germino's...
    I didn't know what to expect with either of these amps and they both surprised me in a really good way!

mad dog and DV52 like this.
  9. handyman11

handyman11 Silver Supporting Member

Peavey Classic 30, Marshall JCM900 100 watt 1X12 .....for what I payed, both sound way better than expected ...

DV52 likes this.
  10. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    The last amp that surprised me in a good way is my current Marshall Mini Jubilee. I love the sound of that amp as much as I have any amp I have owned.

11. skovach623

skovach623 Supporting Member

I have a few that really surprised me.

Louis Electric Deltone Reverb - blew me away with the best Fender blackface tone I have ever heard

Magnatone Panoramic Stereo - the stereo pitch-shifting vibrato is mesmerizing and you don’t want to stop playing it.

Supro 1606 - one knob amp that shocked me with the tones you could get from it.

Rossi163 likes this.
  12. Borg20

Borg20 Member

Oh man, that is lovely. Killer combo.

Rossi163 likes this.
  13. _sjm_

_sjm_ Supporting Member

I picked up a Victoria Chicago-Lux recently and have absolutely fallen in love with the trem. I knew it was going to be good but it is addictive.

14. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

Played just two chords through the clean channel of a VHT Pitt Bull 45 last week and bought it on the spot. Didn’t need to hear anything else.

15. Dick Banks

Dick Banks Member

+1
    Also a shout out to Yamaha THR10. Wasn't the "last" one to throw a breeze up my shorts, but back when it did, WOW!

16. kafka

kafka Supporting Member

Bartel Roseland. From another planet. Just another level of amp altogether.

17. NatGardner

NatGardner Member

Monoprice 15. $207 delivered. It has balls, Marshall tone and some decent headroom. Cleans up awesome. Like a mini superlead I just crank the master, turn off the bass, raise the gain to half and no pedals are needed. Running my les paul with the rhythm p/u at 4 and treble p/u at 6 I get clean, bite , 70's crunch by just switching the pickup selector. Crank the volume to 10 and I get a screaming lead tones. I still push it with my OFATB at times to get into VH territory and it takes pedals well. FX loop. ext speaker out and spring verb too. No tube swap or speaker swap needed either imo. Loud enough for a drummer and only weighs 25 lbs. To think I was going to spend $1350 on a new studio Marshall combo. I could buy 6 of these.

Always-Ben likes this.
  18. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

Marshall Lead 12. Great little amp.

19. mikeratan00

mikeratan00 Member

Benson Dizzy Bird

Kris Criado likes this.
  20. J Factor

J Factor Silver Supporting Member

One day last winter, I went to a distant store to go try some Mesa amps. I spent several hours going back and forth between two mini Mesa heads, the Mark V:25 and the Rectoverb 25. I ended up buying the ROV.

On the way back, I stopped in to a one of the big box stores to try a used guitar they had listed online. I wasn't intending to buy it, but I just really wanted to check it out.

The salesman plugged me into a combo, and I saw it was a Mesa, but didn't pay much attention as I had just bought one. I start playing and I'm blown away by how good it sounds. It was an early model 50w Rect-o-verb, and it was all of the tone I was hoping I'd get from the little one I just bought! What a great full crunch sound; to this day it may be the best sound I've heard while I was playing.

It was used and priced well, but since I had just bought the little head, I passed. I kept thinking about it, and was disappointed with my ROV25 after hearing that. I ended up returning the ROV head, but that used brown combo was long gone.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    DV52 likes this.