• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

The last fuzz I'll have to buy (for a while, anyway)

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member

You really just need a Fuzz Face. Look at all that Hendrix did with that pedal.

I have a Fuzz Face and a Big Muff Pi
I built the FF from scratch and the other is a $20 mini clone (Azor 303).

But in that case we all only need a classical guitar. Look what Segovia did with that, and no pedals at all.;)

Justis

Careful Eugene! Fuzz addiction can take hold at anytime. I use to tell myself that'd I'd never have a problem. No way I'll ever be like those people. It's a sickness for which no one desires the cure. :oops::rolleyes:o_O:eek:
All kidding aside, good luck on your fuzz journey.
When I read "a good, really versatile fuzz unit that can cover classic 70s rock that's more than just a one trick pony, " my mind went to Skreddy Screwdriver Deluxe"or possibly it's more humbucker compatible stable sister ( so say some anyhow) Hybrid Fuzz Driver. Some videos/ clips in the following links. https://skreddypedals.com/skreddy_pedals_screw_driver_mini_dlx.php https://skreddypedals.com/skreddy_pedals_hybrid_fuzz_driver.php

dcbc

Before I realized that I just don't get along with or use fuzz much, I had an Analogman Sundbender 1.5 and an Analogman Astotone Fuzz. Both were really cool, but see first part of post.

Smedley

You can cover A LOT of ground with the Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh (muffs) and Crazy Tube Circuits Constellation (TB, FF and TB). If you want to keep the Fulltone, you could switch the Basic Audio Scarab for the Constellation.
Pretty spendy from what I've seen, though.

jrockbridge

You really just need a Fuzz Face. Look at all that Hendrix did with that pedal.

I have a Fuzz Face and a Big Muff Pi
I built the FF from scratch and the other is a $20 mini clone (Azor 303).

Fuzz Face type could be the one. FF circuits are very versatile. There is a learning curve. Fender clean amps are not the best platform IMO but there are ways to work around it. IME a FF into a dirty, or slightly breaking up, amp is where the best dirty tones happen. And, once you understand how to use the knobs on your guitar, not just the knobs on the pedal, you begin to understand the versatility of the design.

Personally, I use an Analogman Sunface NKT 275 red dot, based on a FF circuit which has on/off switch to help save battery life and a Sundial to adjust for new battery vs old, etc.

Batteries do not make a difference in the sound of most modern circuits. They are designed to isolate the battery, to reduce it’s affect on the sound. In a FF, the battery is part of the simple circuit and so it affects the feel and sound.

Most FF circuit fans agree they sound best using a battery, specifically carbon zinc instead of alkaline. The alkaline batteries tend to make a FF sound dull, particularly in the high end. But, if you prefer the dull sound, by all means, spend extra money on alkaline batteries. I buy carbon zinc batteries for my SF at the dollar store.

FF pedals do not like buffers in front. Best to have FF first in the chain. And, when you unplug the guitar cable, you save battery life. If you want a crazy, over the top, harsh fuzz sound, place a pedal with a buffer in front of a fuzz face circuit. A Boss will work and you can just leave the effect switched off. I don’t like the sound of a buffer in front of a FF but some creative player might find a use for it.

You can stack a FF circuit into other dirt pedals for all kinds of other sounds. The circuit becomes way more versatile in combination. This is a way around the challenge of a clean Fender amp with a FF.

Personally, more than anything else, I use my Sunface for clean tones with a Strat. Roll back the volume and tone on the Strat to just the right spot and I can get an amazing clean tone. I have even been able to take an amp not known for cleans, place my SF in front of the amp, roll back the volume and tone on a Strat and milk an amazing clean tone from the amp.

Again, there is a learning curve with a FF because it is that deep. I’ll keep buying other fuzz pedals but, over the years, my Sunface gets the most use.

Last edited:

HERSCHEL

Pretty spendy from what I've seen, though.
The Pharaoh can be had for around or a little under $100, used, though some clones pop up from time-to-time a bit cheaper, as well.

The Scarab goes for around $125, used, though again, clones pop up for it, as well. There's a builder in Philly who makes a good one with an Egyptian motif and he offers them regularly for $60.

The Constellation is tough, but it's multiple pedals in one.

Smedley

The Pharaoh can be had for around or a little under $100, used, though some clones pop up from time-to-time a bit cheaper, as well.

The Scarab goes for around $125, used, though again, clones pop up for it, as well. There's a builder in Philly who makes a good one with an Egyptian motif and he offers them regularly for $60.

The Constellation is tough, but it's multiple pedals in one.
I must not be looking in the right place. Both were considerably more. The Constellation was $259 and higher. Makes me leery with so many funtions in one box (as well as the cost).
Fuzz Face type could be the one. FF circuits are very versatile. There is a learning curve. Fender clean amps are not the best platform IMO but there are ways to work around it. IME a FF into a dirty, or slightly breaking up, amp is where the best dirty tones happen. And, once you understand how to use the knobs on your guitar, not just the knobs on the pedal, you begin to understand the versatility of the design.

Personally, I use an Analogman Sunface NKT 275 red dot, based on a FF circuit which has on/off switch to help save battery life and a Sundial to adjust for new battery vs old, etc.

Batteries do not make a difference in the sound of most modern circuits. They are designed to isolate the battery, to reduce it’s affect on the sound. In a FF, the battery is part of the simple circuit and so it affects the feel and sound.

Most FF circuit fans agree they sound best using a battery, specifically carbon zinc instead of alkaline. The alkaline batteries tend to make a FF sound dull, particularly in the high end. But, if you prefer the dull sound, by all means, spend extra money on alkaline batteries. I buy carbon zinc batteries for my SF at the dollar store.

FF pedals do not like buffers in front. Best to have FF first in the chain. And, when you unplug the guitar cable, you save battery life. If you want a crazy, over the top, harsh fuzz sound, place a pedal with a buffer in front of a fuzz face circuit. A Boss will work and you can just leave the effect switched off. I don’t like the sound of a buffer in front of a FF but some creative player might find a use for it.

You can stack a FF circuit into other dirt pedals for all kinds of other sounds. The circuit becomes way more versatile in combination. This is a way around the challenge of a clean Fender amp with a FF.

Personally, more than anything else, I use my Sunface for clean tones with a Strat. Roll back the volume and tone on the Strat to just the right spot and I can get an amazing clean tone. I have even been able to take an amp not known for cleans, place my SF in front of the amp, roll back the volume and tone on a Strat and milk an amazing clean tone from the amp.

Again, there is a learning curve with a FF because it is that deep. I’ll keep buying other fuzz pedals but, over the years, my Sunface gets the most use.
Great write up on the Fuzzface. The Fulltone '69 is the only fuzz I've kept. I've sold or returned some pretty popular fuzz units over the last few years. The '69 is the only one that satisfies my needs/preferences so far. I would like to expand a bit on it though. There's got to be something (I'm sure quite a lot, actually) that will satisfy. I'm just simply not finding it. But I do agree with your comments/opinions on Fuzzfaces in general.
The Sunface is a bit too dear for my budget. Are there other fuzzfaces a bit more moderately priced (silicon or GE) that will satisfy the 70's classic rock genre but with a bit different flavor than the '69?

jrockbridge

I must not be looking in the right place. Both were considerably more. The Constellation was $259 and higher. Makes me leery with so many funtions in one box (as well as the cost).

Great write up on the Fuzzface. The Fulltone '69 is the only fuzz I've kept. I've sold or returned some pretty popular fuzz units over the last few years. The '69 is the only one that satisfies my needs/preferences so far. I would like to expand a bit on it though. There's got to be something (I'm sure quite a lot, actually) that will satisfy. I'm just simply not finding it. But I do agree with your comments/opinions on Fuzzfaces in general.
The Sunface is a bit too dear for my budget. Are there other fuzzfaces a bit more moderately priced (silicon or GE) that will satisfy the 70's classic rock genre but with a bit different flavor than the '69?
My apologies. I thought the Fulltone ‘69 was a late 60’s Tonebender type circuit but it’s a Fuzz Face circuit. So, you already have a FF circuit and are looking for something different.

Perhaps, you should seek a Tonebender type. JHS recently released their Bender which targets the year 1973, for example. On the more expensive side, Analogman man makes a Tonebender inspired pedal (Sunbender) that I GAS for but have not yet tried.

EHX makes a cheap pedal called the Satisfaction. Obviously, that’s in reference to the song by The Rolling Stones. I have no idea if the pedal is any good. I believe the pedal used on that song was a Maestro Fuzz Tone FZ1. The First Tonebender was inspired by the Maestro fuzz. But, that’s an early 60’s sound and you are looking for 70’s fuzz.

Plenty of people in the 70’s were using 60’s fuzz pedals for their sounds. Jimmy Page for example continued to use his taped together Tonebender. In fact, it even made it onto the 1997 album he did with Robert Plant, Walking Into Clarksdale. But, it broke during those recording sessions.

To me, the EHX Big Muff Pi is the 70’s fuzz. I think it was first developed in 1968. Different versions were produced through the 70’s. Different versions of the circuit have continued to be used on music in every decade. There are boutique versions of the circuit made by other companies. But, why not do some research on what EHX offers today that will give you a 70’s fuzz sound?

EHX makes many affordable pedals. They make multiple versions of the Muff circuit. Many can be had for cheap. Just realize that it is a different beast than your Fulltone 69. To me, a Muff feels more like a distortion pedal that sounds like a fuzz. Muff does not clean up by rolling back guitar knobs like a FF. But, like a Tonebender, there are multiple versions of the Muff circuit and they all sound different.

Last edited:

songtalk

Sadly (?), none. You’ll just have to accept (and celebrate) that. FZ, Tonebender, Fuzzrite, Fuzz Face, Big Muff etc. type fuzzes are just way too different. And don’t even get me started on octave fuzzes.

Quoted for absolute, wonderful, deeply misunderstood and truthful truth. And to quote Westley from The Princess Bride "anyone who says otherwise is selling something".

HERSCHEL

The Constellation hasn't come down yet, it's still pretty new. I wouldn't worry about the number of functions though, they're all related.

Trending Topics