The last generation of guitar aficionados?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 70' s Tone, Jan 3, 2018.

1. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

There's an incredible amount of used gear for sale. I'm not referring to the high priced vintage stuff, although there's plenty of that around, too. It's amazing the quantity of stringed instruments out there. Not to mention all the various outlets available that make purchasing it easy.
    I suspect more instruments will become available, as we - the last generation of aficionados - begin to downsize. Or exit stage-left for greener pastures.
    "I hereby do bequeath my collection to..."
    "Sell it all," exclaimed the family member that could care less for seasoned timber and tarnished metal.
    It seems that with the ever-shrinking number of people interested in playing guitars, coupled with the enormous quantity of used gear that's available, that if production of new product ceased today, it would still leave an abundance of instruments for many many years to come. To the point where supply grossly outweighs demand.
    Are we in the last days? :( :eek:

ctreitzell, jens5, ~Abstract~ and 2 others like this.
  2. Family Man

Family Man Supporting Member

No.

Ebbs and flows, OP, ebbs and flows.

3. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Car Dealers have lots of used cars to sell, too, not to mention for sale ads in newspapers and other places like Craigs List....I guess people are over driving.....

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Hawking, spiral, Comanche5 and 4 others like this.
  4. archey

archey Silver Supporting Member

I think the electric guitar hasn't ran it's course yet. There are always kids who are naturally drawn to music. It's just something born into some of us. The world is just one Hendrix like figure away from inspiring the next generation to pick it up.

Not necessarily a Hendrix carbon copy, but someone who's passion inspires the listener to try it themselves. Kurt Cobain was a good example of this. While not anywhere near the virtuoso Hendrix was, he inspired a generation to pick up the guitar. As someone who gave guitar lessons I learned that Taylor Swift inspired a bunch of young girls to pick up the guitar. So there's always going to be players. And if there are more guitars to pick from with less players I'm okay with that.

5. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

On paper the electric guitar is far more popular now than it was in 1965.

Krausewitz, Hawking, spiral and 4 others like this.
  6. Serenity

Serenity Member

No

Hawking likes this.
  7. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

Yes. We're all doomed. The world is ending this afternoon. Give me all your gear and lighten your burden, brother. I will make this sacrifice so that you may die with a clear conscience knowing you were not among the dwindling number of fools who call themselves gear enthusiasts.

8. DiPa

DiPa Member

There is a new generation on the horizon, your concerns are absolutely understandable, but it’s not a dooms day on the horizon, as long as the wealth and global economy continue to grow, we will sell guitars and amps and more and more, your older instruments will be sought, there will be new gear from boutique and the big guys, overseas will be searching for older MIA and USA will be further curious about gear built overseas, globalization will equilibrate the gear market, New icons and amateurs musicians will carry the torch we leave behind.
    IMHO

SnidelyWhiplash, gerg6 and TA22GT like this.
  9. filtersweep

filtersweep Member

There will be a backlash to all the electronic music.

Who would have thought VINYL would make a comeback?!?

Was at the suburban unhip mall the other day- you can buy Deep Purple on vinyl, but no CDs. Who'd a thunk it??

10. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

What would the succession of inspirational artists, artists that inspired people to take up playing the guitar, be?
    1. Elvis
    2. The Beatles
    3. Clapton/Hendrix
    4. Eddie Van Halen
    5. Kurt Cobain
    6. Taylor Swift
    ???????????????

gerg6, jvin248 and archey like this.
  11. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

I'm more pessimistic. I don't hear near as much guitar in modern pop music hits as I used to. The computer is the new guitar. It's this generation's voice. I don't know that many young people who are interested in guitar or guitar based music (though plenty who are interested in making music). I think the guitar's time has passed. Don't get me wrong, the guitar isn't going to go away. There will always (or at least for the couple hundred years) be new and popular bands centered around the guitar out there. And they'll continue to inspire new generations of guitar players. But the guitar certainly is waning in it's dominance in the eyes of the younger generations. And that trend isn't going to reverse itself anytime soon. Couple that with the big boom in guitar manufacturing that started in the 70's and lasted up until today, and you've got a super saturated market. The trend for the future is more and more people dying off and selling their gear, and fewer and fewer people being interested in playing and buying guitars.

It's true the market ebbs and flows. But there are also larger trends at play here. The guitar's place in music is settling back down to the levels it experienced prior to the 1950's. It's just like the piano. There was a time when it seemed everyone had one in their home. Every kid was forced to take lessons, whether they wanted to or not. Just about every popular song was composed on one. It was the center of popular music. Then the guitar came in and took over the piano's place. Sure piano's still exist, and there are still virtuoso piano players in popular music inspiring younger generations to pick up the instrument. But there are still a lot less people playing them than there used to be, and as a result, it's possible to find working pianos in decent condition for free these days. And that's because there are more pianos out there than people who know how to play them. And with so many of the old piano players having died off, the children who inherited them, and don't know how to play them, just want them gone. And giving them away for free is cheaper than hauling them off to the dump. So the market stays saturated and depressed.

70' s Tone, Jimi D, jens5 and 5 others like this.
  12. mvsr990

mvsr990 Supporting Member

Young people don't want old people's stuff regardless of what it is. They don't want china cabinets full of dishes they'll never use or a great-grandfather's stuffed fish. We are an urbanizing population, young people have roommates or small apartments longer - they don't want 'stuff' that won't fit anywhere.

spiral, gerg6, TA22GT and 2 others like this.
  13. archey

Looks about right to me. Of course what influences one person to pick up a guitar might not even be a blip on someone else's radar. Brian May, Jerry Cantrell and Dimebag Darrell probably influenced me to play more than anyone on that list.

Limenode and Hallogallo like this.
  14. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

It does not need to be represented in pop culture to thrive(it’s there..)That is some narrow minded, center of the universe, Boomer panic right there.

Thousands of kids take the oboe every year. It’s not because some pop star plays it.

15. mjross

mjross Member

As for vinyl, they can have it. I remember trying to protect my records from scratches and still hearing that horrible sound. Sorry, but I just do not understand this one.

16. amarguitar

amarguitar Member

Have you listened to a clean record on a high quality system, and then played the same song as an MP3 through that same system?

Vinyl will win every time.

17. DiPa

DiPa Member

Absolutely, not even close, vinyl is several notches ahead in reproducing the original music.

18. fenderball

fenderball Supporting Member

probably....BUT...they were influenced to pick up the guitar by some of those on that list, or by those influenced by some of those on that list....no?

archey likes this.
  19. EtaCarinae

EtaCarinae Member

These things go in cycles. Disco died, but it didn't take the guitar with it. Pop music isn't guitar driven music, but there is plenty of guitar driven music out there. My guitar heroes are guys like Mike Carrigan of Darkest Hour and Tosin Abasi of Animals as Leaders. There is no shortage of very talented guitarists out there with way more chops than a lot of these inspirational players we are naming. Just because (most) pop music sucks does not mean we need to declare the death of guitar. Us primarily metal guys are used to the our preferred genre being fairly unpopular, and worry less about what everyone's uncle and niece are listening to :)

The Captain, BeardoCI and Tommy Biggs like this.
  20. archey

True. And I'm a crap player, so it doesn't really matter who influenced me anyways!

70' s Tone likes this.