The last generation of guitar aficionados?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 70' s Tone, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Member

I have a nephew who is 19 and a good guitar player. He plays very differently from me, as I did from a 60 year old way back I was a teen.

He is in a lot of bands that play shows frequently. Guitars - metal, death metal, black metal, Swedish black death metal... who knows the micro genres anymore. He and his boys are gear hounds - it just isn't Les Pauls or Strats, Tube screamers or Fender amps. We do have some interesting discussions, maybe because I'm not dismissing his thing, and not trying to tell him how wondrous things were. It helps that some of the guys we knew from when I was a kid are still out there, and that I have some cool old gear that I still play. For the record he REALLY dug my LP >rat> JCM800 2204, turned up some (he did drop the tuning down;).

anyway - I got a snarky response recently from a guy here on TGP about Norlins, which I said weren't all bad. His point was that the prices in the used market certainly says that they are. Well sheeee-it. I dropped it, because from a Macro Economic perspective WTF can I say about that. I'm a player not a collector. My point - just because a kid today doesn't want to buy some guitar thing that I value, doesn't necessarily mean that they've abandoned the instrument.

A good point was raised about the cyclical nature of pop music, and I think it applies. It probably won't look like 1965 or 1975 when the wheel turns, but whatever is popular today will become unpopular in due course and something antithetical will replace it.

LZRFACE and Scary Uncle G. like this.
  2. pickdropper

pickdropper Supporting Member

I think it depends on what you mean by “beat.” If it’s subjective preference, that will vary from person to person. If your talking about fidelity to the source, then certainly lossless through a high quality DAC has a leg up in the objective measurements.

Vinyl can be quite enjoyable on a good setup, and for some folks, nothing will sound better. But it does have a lot of idiosyncrasies and those will annoy many (and perhaps the majority of) listeners. These types of discussions rarely end with anybody changing the opinion they brought into it.

Silver Hand and mjross like this.
  3. mjross

mjross Member

Nuf said!

4. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Maybe I wasn't clear in my post that you quoted, but what I was referring to was NEW equipment, NOT vintage gear. There are seemingly new guitar companies, amp companies, pedal companies, speaker companies, accessory companies coming along every day, with new products out the wazoo. And established companies are expanding their product lines continuously. If the market for guitars and guitar based products is drying up the proliferation of new products sure makes it seem otherwise.

5. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

I don't care what people say.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  6. dazar

dazar Member

I agree with Silent Sound. While there will always be guitars and guitar players, the era of guitar based popular music is over and likewise there is and will be a continuing diminuation of those of us who are fascinated with Les Pauls, Strats, etc. I am pushing 60 and I can't imagine who is going to be buying "vintage" guitars (or paying those prices) once our generation starts shedding this mortal coil, as they say.

blacknblues and 70' s Tone like this.
  7. tnvol

tnvol Supporting Member

Guitars aren't going anywhere.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  8. Digidog

Digidog Member

I will stand by my boring view, that I've pursued many times before, that we have to look statistically at the future of music over all, and guitar specifically.

If we set the most difficult and technically demanding repertoire existing today as a standard of what ability is needed to play professionally, we can also make assumptions on how many aspiring guitarists there have to be - in order to produce at least one guitarist at pro level that can play the most demanding pieces at any time.

On many orchestral instruments there is a deficit of young players that spend enough time practicing. That makes for a shortage of players skilled enough to play even standard classical repertoire. This makes it harder and harder for orchestras to recruit replacements for those who retire. I guess guitar is going that way too, though from both larger numbers and a larger proportion of the population as a whole.

The key to how the development will be, is to see how the current music that gives sustainable income is made and performed. If it's made almost entirely by piece-by-piece assembly on computers, and is performed playback on shows where dancing, voice-over and marketing are the most prominent features, then the instrumental practice WILL decline and those practicing instruments and performing live music WILL remain mostly amateurs. Then WILL a drainage of skills and knowledge occur.

On many orchestral instruments, this income related effect is already draining the numbers of young practitioners. For the guitar it will come, unless there is a significant change in what music generates income to those producing and performing it.

9. fenderball

fenderball Supporting Member

ahhh c'mon...Large Marge loves your playin!

gerg6 and archey like this.
  10. Limenode

Limenode Supporting Member

Can we make #BoomerPanic a trending thing please?

11. uitar99

uitar99 Member

I have no expertise in this matter-I still have a radio shack system from 1969'70-It plays my vinyl. But like many mentioned, vinyl is a pain, takes up a lot of space, and isn't on an iPod or smart phone. It's like guitar/amp snob tone. It's just the player who gives a crap. The mass of listeners do not care.

The world adapts-millennials will find an economic equilibrium and buy a lot of guitars/basses/amps and drums real cheap or inherit them. Manufacturers will die and others will start/survive/thrive.

Music in some form has been around our planet for quite some time. Perhaps the next craze is music coming from mixed cultures. Maybe it will be bouzoukis and garage band.

Music will find another equilibrium. It always does. Hopefully it won't be influenced by the music machine which controls the crap we hear on mainstream today. There's the music industry , then there is the social fabric of music.

Because of my age, I'd like it to be new Skynyrd, ABB, the stuff I grew up listening to. But..it probably won't be. It will probably be driven by whatever the new social fabric is.

clayt0n and Limenode like this.
  12. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Of Course - it's all so clear now.

13. Limenode

Limenode Supporting Member

"Bouzoukis and Garage Band" would actually be a killer band name.

14. telelion

telelion Member

I think the iconic excellent and original condition(or near) vintage guitars will remain valuable for a long time and will change hands within the wealthy as they do now. Your typical player has never been that market anyway. But I think a lot of the boutiques, especially very expensive ones including PRS and CS especially Masterbuilts etc. will have a rough going. Muti-thousand dollar new guitars down the road have a much greater chance of plummeting(IMO) than vintage.

Advisable Owl likes this.
  15. Advisable Owl

Advisable Owl Member

Because they're trying to sell you something.

16. Advisable Owl

Advisable Owl Member

Which will promptly go into the used market, because I think everyone by now has realized new guitars are not valuable.

17. mvsr990

mvsr990 Supporting Member

Vinyl is about the experience more than the sound quality - having that big piece of cardboard with art, putting a LP on and listening to a full side of music instead of jumping around on Spotify or iTunes, digging through used records to find something you haven't heard before. It's been building for a while but it fits perfectly with the general desire among many people (not just young) for more 'authentic' experiences.

As far as electronic music, the problem is that rock music hasn't grown and adapted in a very long time. The gap between Help! and Never Mind The Bollocks was 13 years, the gap between Exile on Main Street and Nevermind was 18 years. We're past 25 years since Nevermind - where's the next 'new' thing? What's speaking to young people now about their lives and their experiences? I can go see a band of 20-somethings making their own music any night of the week - but it's going to sound like old music (even old indie music - someone like Courtney Barnett would have slotted in perfectly opening for Pavement, there's an endless number of really good bands doing garage-psych, etc.).

Baxtercat likes this.
  18. TA22GT

TA22GT Member

When i was working as an engineer I visited lot's of peoples houses. I vividly remember, when I had just bought the latest and greatest invention, the CD player walking in to a customers front room and hearing Louis Armstrong and his orchestra played on vinyl.
    It was through a high end system and the sound knocked me sideways!
    I could hear every cymbal ride , every sizzle on the high hat and it was like being in the room with the band. So 3D and so real.
    Never bought a CD since that has hit me like that.
    So, maybe the old guitar will at some point make the great revival in the right hands at the right time.

Tommy Biggs and DiPa like this.
  19. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

There's been a whole lot of guitars manufactured in the last 20 years. Supply has definitely exceeded demand.

70' s Tone and Tommy Biggs like this.
  20. uitar99

uitar99 Member

Glad I could clear that up for you. Confused the crap out of me.