The LAST Hotcake thread i need...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Footbutt, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

i tried one a while back and i couldn't get over the fizziness dying out on the note decay!

granted, i didn't play with the internal switches at all.

could fiddling with those yield better results? trying the Bluesberry thingy vs Normal?

i'm just using a Timmy now and i'd like a heavier drive with my incoming Voxish amp.

2. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

to my ears, a cranked tweed or vox makes some really wild sagging, decaying, fizzy, fuzzy sounds. so, the hot cake always sounded pretty natural to me. you will have less of that decaying around the clean fizz artifact in bluesberry mode, but i personally love the regular hot cake because of its rougher edges.

if you want heavier drive then the emerald green is your pedal. amazing gain structure, and many textures of it on tap!

3. slap_back05

slap_back05 Supporting Member

The Hot Cake is really best when used to push a VOX style amp, not to get a ton of gain out of the box itself because you do get that somewhat un-natural fizziness with the gain knob up high. The Hot Cake set to a low-mid gain, loud boost into the Timmy with low-mid gain acting like a pre amp sounds pretty good though. I used those two for a long time.

4. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

I much preferred the smoother sounding bluesberry mode. A bit less fizzy.

5. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

Maybe I'm getting old and deaf, but through the amps I owned at the time I couldn't for the life of me hear any difference that would ever get heard in a mix between the normal and the bluesberry modes. Calling the difference subtle is an understatement. In a band setting, I think you could flip it back and forth all night and never hear the difference.

That said, the Hotcake is a classic everyone should own. Remember the controls work together real well. The gain up high gets you that funky dark thick fuzz sound. But you get a fair amount of overdrive when you crank the volume. Balance the two knobs out and you can get great tones and fairly natural OD sounds. Very artistic pedal that doesn't always behave the way you expect it too. And that makes it fun to play music with.

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best" - Henry Van Dyke

6. R_S_G_7

R_S_G_7 Member

Use bluesberry mode.
    And don't run the amp crystal clean, i only hear a fizz if the amp is cold running Super clean. if you push the volume up a bit there is no fizz.

7. geek-mo

geek-mo Supporting Member

I have a Hotcake clone without the Bluesberry switch. I don't set the
    Code:

gain above noon and use it primarily as a boost pedal. At moderate to high volumes, this gives you a very nice, touch-sensitive overdrive with just a hint of breakup. For more dirt, I use a Timmy or a RAT.

You might think that a pedal with such a narrow use would quickly fall off of my board, but it really sounds great and I don't know of another pedal that does quite what the Hotcake does, especially with Vox amps. It's one of those always-on pedals.

8. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

Yep, what the other above said:
    bluesberry mode with the gain low and the amp on the edge of break up...

9. R_S_G_7

R_S_G_7 Member

not to hijack the thread but anyone know the going rate for a used double hotcake
    ?

10. SonicVI

SonicVI Member

The sold listings on ebay are $230-265. I bought a double and didn't like it as much as the regular hot cake. I think it had to do with how it worked when both sides were on. It was a while ago, I don't remember exactly.

11. feet

feet Supporting Member

i'm finding this to be true, as well.

i've tried this and while i didn't hate it, found it to be kind like a bright clean boost. but it was into a clean amp. maybe that was the problem. do you place it before the other overdrives to stack it? that seemed to work better for me.

12. R_S_G_7

R_S_G_7 Member

Interesting... Was it just stacking the sides you didn't like?
    I was thinking of setting two different levels of gain and one foot switching them...

13. SonicVI

SonicVI Member

I think it was because when they're stacked the controls for the A side are deactivated and you just have the middle drive knob, so you lose some variability that you would otherwise have if you were stacking two regular hot cakes. Also, just the sound of the individual sides seemed a little different from my single hot cake. It's a cool pedal, I just think I'd rather have two singles than the double.

14. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

so a HotCake and Timmy would get me to my heavier drive sound with a... say, BadCat Black Cat 15?

15. feet

feet Supporting Member

depends. how heavy is heavy? how loud are you playing? how clean? normal or top boost (based sound)?

i think either has enough gain on tap to be a heavier sound into a dirty amp. i'd set one really light, one heavy and use one to shove the other around if need be.