• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

The Last of the Agile AL-2000s

Jdstrat

Gold Supporting Member
They're discontinued, as of August last year. The picture above is of the only ones left on Rondo's website. I don't have any insider info. I've just been watching the numbers dwindle.

Jdstrat

Gold Supporting Member
Not at $225. I guess the idea was to improve some of the specs of the 3100 and move people up to the $399 price point.

stratter

I had an AL-2000 in rootbeer.

Worst guitar I've ever owned. I took it to my tech and he said it would take more money to even make it playable than it's worth. The 5th fret was nonexistent. It was a mm shorter than the 6th.

poolshark

Silver Supporting Member
I had an AL-2800. It was smooth, well put together and sounded good. It also weighed a metric ton.

Gretsch&Vox

Significant weight (9 lbs.+) and the use of mahogany is characteristic of Les Paul guitars, right? I am guessing that contributes to the sustain that Les Pauls are famous for.

Yer Blues

On a whim I got an AL-2000 goldtop with soapbars used for $200 on Ebay. The thing was awesome. So awesome I got two more AL 3000 (which I no longer have) that just didn't have it. Then I dropped the AL 2000 on a wooden stage and the neck cracked and the fretboard chipped. I should see about getting it fixed with some gig money. It was like my pawnshop steal!

EDIT: I should add the 2000 had the old headstock, while both of the 3000s had the newer headstock. Not sure if something changed?

Last edited:

Jdstrat

Gold Supporting Member
I took it to my tech and he said it would take more money to even make it playable than it's worth. The 5th fret was nonexistent. It was a mm shorter than the 6th.
Heck, the frets on 2000s are big enough, he could have done a fret leveling on it and had that fixed in an hour, and you still would have had biggish frets. Or, he could have replaced the one fret.

The weight is well-documented. Mine was a sit-down and play guitar--I don't think I ever used it at a gig. After I dropped in a pair of Burstbucker #2 and #3, I found out what an overdriven neck humbucker was. Man, I love that tone.

I have never had a guitar with better tuners and tuning stability.

dangeroso

Silver Supporting Member
I had a 2000 with the original Les Paul Horn and Headstock that were later changed to be less Gibson like.

It was a great guitar that I probably should have kept, but sold when I bought my LP Standard.

sleewell

I love my AL-2000. sure its heavy but it plays great and sounds awesome. I put dimarzio 36ths in mine and that really helped. but overall really good guitar for the money. when I got it I was shocked how it felt for $225, I kept looking for errors or flaws and really couldn't find any.

stratter

Heck, the frets on 2000s are big enough, he could have done a fret leveling on it and had that fixed in an hour, and you still would have had biggish frets. Or, he could have replaced the one fret.

The weight is well-documented. Mine was a sit-down and play guitar--I don't think I ever used it at a gig. After I dropped in a pair of Burstbucker #2 and #3, I found out what an overdriven neck humbucker was. Man, I love that tone.

I have never had a guitar with better tuners and tuning stability.
Unless I wanted the frets to be about half the height they were, I wouldn't, I could do a fret leveling.

They hammered the fret wire too far in the neck. The other frets were too badly cut.

Mine also had that chinese black super glue all over it from the binding

Trending Topics