The last two shows I attended were really sad. (Garth Brooks and Rob Thomas)

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by marshall2288, Jul 8, 2019.

1. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

We now live in a time where proving you attended an expensive music performance is all that is required.

This is reflected in music being a free resource for anyone with even a passing interest.

No wonder celebrity is more important than the music. They once were equal.

The Earth has become one gigantic selfie of itself wearing the concert tour t-shirt and trying very hard to impress the other planets!

Trevordog likes this.
  2. shadowbox

shadowbox Supporting Member

They were probably posting to FB and IG to complain about the ****** sound.

DV52 likes this.
  3. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

My wife and i saw him from the 10th row center here in OKC in 2017 on his comeback tour, and it was unbelievable how much energy he expended in 2.5 hours. he played 4 shows in 2 nights (we saw the 1st one) and completely sold Chesapeake Arena (home of the Thunder) out. Tho his voice was a bit ragged (how could it not be after 4 nonstop shows in 48 hours?!) he still gave the folks who paid for the last of the 4 shows the same amount of energy that we got on show #1. (based upon talking with my friends who assisted with the tech and saw all 4 shows. like country or not, he's a one of a kind performer.

(yes, i remember almost every band member from seeing GB play in OKC in 1992!. he's known to pay very well and be a super loyal guy. i actually live in his hometown of Yukon (west OKC) and i've never heard anything but nice things about him and his family from folks who knew him back in the day.

stratadp and drlucky like this.
  4. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I was in the first few rows of Tedeschi-Trucks about 2 years back. I paid a good amount of money to get the seats. I was surrounded by folks looking at their phones and one group of women who talked the entire time like they were at Girl’s Night Out at a bar.

People certainly have the right to experience a show how they want, but I absolutely cannot understand it. I tend to take one (usually blurry) picture at a show and then the phone goes in my pocket with the ringer off.

Not That Old (Yet) Man Rant over.

FenderBigot likes this.
  5. gigs

gigs Member

Agree 100% with OP.

... Posting this reply from the 3rd row of the Pittsburgh Jazz Festival that I paid $220.

BarryE, yfeefy, FenderBigot and 4 others like this.
  6. sadhudude

sadhudude Member

Each to their own I guess but the phone thing annoys me when it's close enough to me to distract my attention from the stage. As many have said why pay the money for tickets to sit on your phone? At a Clapton gig a few years ago in pricey seats the couple next to us were looking at them for most of the show, not filming but browsing, posting etc...

It's weird to me, I go to a gig to absorb myself in the music and what's happening on stage, I'll even go on my own sometimes because I would rather be able to really enjoy it without wondering if my wife, friend etc. is enjoying it.

As for concert sound I think poor sound is inexcusable except perhaps in windy weather outdoors. Certain acts seem prepared to take take care and spend the £s or $s to get it right, whereas others would rather take more cash home. e.g. Stones in a stadium last year pristine sound....

Guitarheel62 likes this.
  7. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

At a show! That is weird.

8. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Supporting Member

When you read about the psychological techniques (manipulations, really) that are relied upon in the business model of social media, facebook in particular, what it adds up to is behavior mod capitalism. How many times do you just go to the facebook icon or page unintentionally? That's not accidental, that's their business model. Habituation.

Sad, aye, but also disturbing.

IGuitUpIGuitDown likes this.
  9. SmartAlex

SmartAlex Supporting Member

In 20 years, today's Gen-Z generation will be posting here "I went to a concert and it was so sad that people were NOT on their phone". It's an addiction and it's only getting worse. Apple started it and can't control it with a ScreenTime app. They will have to zap people with electricity to have them put it down.

Yeah, let's see them do that in a software update lol.

FenderBigot and IGuitUpIGuitDown like this.
  10. jbviper4

jbviper4 Supporting Member

I shot the first verse and chorus of Springsteen's surprise appearance at the Stone Pony Saturday night. Then I posted it on FB, deleted it and put my phone away. 1 minute max.

I might have been the only person who did. I wanted to experience the moment - not shoot a vid that I would probably NEVER look at again. I wonder how much cloud space is eaten up by unwatched, horrible quality concert vids?

BarryE and Baxtercat like this.
  11. ckfoxtrot

ckfoxtrot Member

If the shows truly sounded horrible, I don't see how anyone can be blamed for being on their phones. Moreover, I'm not sure how you'd be able to judge that the performers "killed it" either, not having decent sound.

12. wrong_note_rod

wrong_note_rod Member

there is the rare bit of wisdom on this forum.

This is one of those.

Thumpalumpacus and jens5 like this.
  13. DennyDream

DennyDream Member

I think the tech is there to get decent sound out of even a huge venue or outside. The people putting it together need to be on their game though.

A few years ago I attended Classic West which was two nights in Dodger Stadium (in LA). Night one- Dobbie Bros, Steely Dan, Eagles, Night two- EWF, Journey, Fleetwood Mac.

The ginormous stage (with huge screens) was out in Center Field. Close seats were right in front of stage and ended before the FOH sound equipment. Infield was not in use. All seats surrounding the infield and going towards the outfield. Huge arrays by the stage. Then there were 3 speakers arrays in the infield (near pitcher's mound, first base and 3rd base lines). I thought the sound was going to be horrible once I got a view of just how big this event was. To my amazement the sound was really good. Better than in some arenas or smaller music venues. Whoever did sound for that knew WTF they were doing.

And yeah, its a little annoying when people spend a huge amount of time either recording or surfing the net. What got me was at the music festival so many people were also just sitting there with many on their phones as well. I'm thinking WTF, there's a bunch of great music happening, quit sitting their like bumps on a log. Then I gave up caring.

Whatever, as long as they're not in my way or distracting, I frankly couldn't care less. They paid for their ticket and I paid for mine. I'm going to enjoy the show.

14. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Running into Garth in public means running into a guy who's going to talk to you about his kids like he's an old friend. Never heard a bad word about him here and he lived here for years.

buddaman71 likes this.
  15. Ltsft

Ltsft Supporting Member

Going to shows used to be my very favorite thing. Hardly go anymore and the performers and sound are generally as good or better than ever. It's the sea of phones. I don't see how the people saying don't worry about what others are doing can just ignore it, i wish i could, but it completely changes the view. Also there used to be magic in the moment, not just with the performers but with the other folks there with you. Concert buddies/neighbors that you didn't know before and likely never saw again but really had a connection with.
    Totally gone. Too bad, those were really special times and I think it's one of those things where people now don't even really understand what they are missing. And for what? A terrible quality video that no one will ever watch (including you), or worse some social media that will be EXACTLY the same after the show. Bums me out and no, i don't expect you to care that it bums me out, lol.

16. DCFanatic

DCFanatic Member

When I saw Tori Kelly and Mateus Asato in Toronto this year there was a girl face timing her friend a few rows up from me. It was super distracting. She was filming the show for her friend who was then singing along in quite a dramatic fashion. I wanted to say something but was afraid to do anything as the tendency for social media crucifications over social interactions increases in society. Fortunately it only lasted a few songs.

17. whatizitman

whatizitman Member

I'm trying to see how I, as a lowly hobby musician, could grab this market. I mean, I could charge far less to play to a bunch of drunks on their phones, and still come out ahead. But alas if that were possible, someone would have figured it out by now. Lots of bar bands attempt this very thing every night of the week.

18. jens5

jens5 Silver Supporting Member

It still pisses me off!

Baxtercat likes this.
  19. whatizitman

whatizitman Member

The only thing I hate more than people filming shows on their phones, is the inevitable horrible garbled videos that show up on my FB feed. The shaky videos of every other audience members with their phones, talking, with some tiny figure in the middle of the screen under stage lights.

]Yeah, like I'm gonna click on that masterpiece.

derekd and uab9253 like this.
  20. jens5

jens5 Silver Supporting Member

Just asking. Why would you go to a show just to look at your phone? You a Dr. stockbroker or something?

DV52 likes this.