"The Last Waltz" The Band's farewell concert movie - Watch it.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by straightblues, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

Its a great film and I love the Band. Really captures the essence of the performers in their prime. I wish it wasnt edited so much sometimes,... i feel like Scocese wants every song to go verse/chorus/end. Its a shame that really was the last time they were on stage together... of course Robbie means allot to me as a musician but his apparent or suggested engineering of the bands demise is a bummer as well as his general diva personality. Overdubbed or not those licks are scortching. Dont forget the duet with Niel and Joni, gives me goosebumps.

2. hawkeye17

hawkeye17 Member

I still watch it when it comes on but it is a bit too much of a Robbie Robertson love fest on the part of Coppola imho. When it comes to The Band I'm more of a Levon Helm/Rick Danko guy.

3. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Scorsese? I don't think Coppola was involved in the project.

4. doublee

doublee Member

Me too it was a magic time and an awesome run they had.....

5. Ocelot

Ocelot Member

For my money, the greatest 'band' not named The Beatles. For a real sense of The Band's greatness, listen to Rock of Ages: Danko on fretless bass, Manuel's left hand thumping pure R&R, and all three singers in amazing voice. Plus, brilliant song after brilliant song. Divine stuff.

6. doublee

doublee Member

Best live record ever....

7. Ocelot

Ocelot Member

Yep, I agree. I didn't even go into the supernatural Garth Hudson and Allen Toussaint's otherworldly horn arrangements.

8. hank57

hank57 Silver Supporting Member

Saw this when it came out. It was a double feature with Live at Pompeii the Floyd movie. I was 12 or 13 and paid half my attention to my girlfriend and half to the movies.

I like the story about Neil's nose edits...

9. SamBooka

SamBooka Member

youtube also has the making of big pink.. didnt really appreciate the band until I heard that..

fav part of the last waltz is when they perform with pop staples

10. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

The Classic Albums episode about the recording of The Band is an especially good episode of a great series, too.

11. fusion58

fusion58 Member

Just watched "The Last Waltz" (for the umpteen thousandth time) on Palladia last night.

Dig the groove Robbie Robertson is laying down on "Who Do You Love" behind Ronnie Hawkins.

Man, that's deep!

12. davebc

davebc Member

I've seen it so many times and it's always amazing, the line-up, the playing, the homage, the stories, the love and respect!

Butterfield man!! What can you say!

13. doublee

doublee Member

2nd to Rock of Ages....

14. airportbar

airportbar Member

I love this so much I even think Neil Diamond killed it on his number.

15. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

The original mix of the show's audio recording was floating around on Wolfgangs Vault a while back. I had a good listen to the various tracks. Might still be there if you go for a search. There is a lot of talk about how doctored the audio recordings of the Last Waltz were but in my opinion I think it has been a little overstated. Certainly what you get on the Album, the VHS tape and the DVD are a different mix than the original raw recording but the content is largely the same. They fixed a few things here and there for sure but some would have you believe that the almost entire thing has been re-recorded. The shots of Danko playing different lines are more to do with the visual editing of the film.
    There are certainly plenty of other "Live" albums from the era more worthy of investigation like Kiss "Alive" and Peter Frampton "Comes Alive" - do a bit research into those.

16. patentcad

patentcad Member

I love the Band, but I've never been a big R. Robertson fan. He and L. Helm never got along. I can understand that.

17. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

Because he did.