• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

The Late John Blackwell, Jr. (Prince, Justin Timberlake) - Vid of him jamming with us. RIP

Baminated

Mr. John Blackwell, a great guy and phenomenal musician who was rightfully known worldwide, but based here in Clearwater/St. Pete , has passed on at a very young age. There’s a backstory to these videos that is sentimental and is helping me focus on the good stuff.

Back around this time in 2012, Peter Mongaya Hogsholm ran a revolutionary music instruction outlet called Musicology and he used to have truly no holds barred, anything goes jams where musicians were only limited by themselves and nothing else. The lineups would be so random in regards to styles, skill, etc,, but it was always fun an enriching for everyone.
So on this night, it was Peter on guitar,Tito D Vallejo / Sam Martinez on bass, Nate Mitchell on keys, and myself on guitar.

It was midnight on a Wednesday , and things were winding down until Blackwell walks in for the first and i think only time wanting to jam. He gets on the kit and says, “whatchyall wanna play?” We’re all kinda blank, so i said, “john, just play any groove you want, and we’ll put something over it, so Pete calls the songs in these two videos , and the rest is history.
“In Walks Blackwell” . RIP, John. you were a great man and will be sorely missed by many. Thank you for making this cool part of Florida your home and blessing us.

Hang on to your seats for some absolutely psychotic drumming

playsarobin

Results. Not excuses.
Great drummer friend considers Blackwell his first true drum teacher. It was Via YouTube, instructional DVDs, etc, but he wrote a rather touching FB post to that point. Said his abilities on the kit never seemed limited by anything, and did a great job of conveying that to the "student"/listener.

Excellent touch and overall master tactician. He could fit in any environment, and I really love the work he did with Timberlake. Honestly, as much as I love rock music, his style of drumming with JT, especially live, is easily my favorite. It's a blast to listen to, and even moreso to watch.

Dana Olsen

Platinum Supporting Member
What a tremendous player, and cat. Great energy and enthusiasm, and HUGE skillz! You guys all sound great here. You guys are lucky you got to play with him.

RIP John Blackwell - gone too soon, but he definitely left a beautiful mark on the music he left behind!

Thanks for posting this, Dana O.

Baminated

All, thanks for listening and commenting.
John was super cool and would talk with anyone. No pretentious rock star sh!t. He would actually call back if you called him.
Real shame the good guys like that go so young :-(
Great drummer friend considers Blackwell his first true drum teacher. It was Via YouTube, instructional DVDs, etc, but he wrote a rather touching FB post to that point. Said his abilities on the kit never seemed limited by anything, and did a great job of conveying that to the "student"/listener.

Excellent touch and overall master tactician. He could fit in any environment, and I really love the work he did with Timberlake. Honestly, as much as I love rock music, his style of drumming with JT, especially live, is easily my favorite. It's a blast to listen to, and even moreso to watch.
Those videos .. damn.

And indeed a ridiculous talent. RIP. :(
What a tremendous player, and cat. Great energy and enthusiasm, and HUGE skillz! You guys all sound great here. You guys are lucky you got to play with him.

RIP John Blackwell - gone too soon, but he definitely left a beautiful mark on the music he left behind!

Thanks for posting this, Dana O.

Trending Topics