The latest Celestion "Heritage" speaker: G12-65

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SlyStrat, Jan 19, 2006.

1. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

2. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

3. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

The only speakers that I've heard that comes close to my original Celestion G1265 is the Two Rock 65 that is made by Eminence for 2 rock...The Eminence Red , White & Blues is a little brighter, but still a great speaker for 1/2 the $$ of the 2 rock..Weber makes a 65 also, but I haven't heard that:confused: :confused:

abnerfm likes this.
  4. hipfan

hipfan Member

Cool deal. A lot of players really like the G12-65 and wish that Celestion had not stopped making it. I wonder how much this Heritage version will cost?

I've had the Weber C1265, but not the Celestion G12-65. The standard Weber C1265's sound like tougher, small-magnet (30 oz.) Greenbacks to me. Great sounding in a 4x12, but not enough magnet to hold the bass together in a 2x12 - at least for my DST 50 watter, which is a fairly punishing amp for only having 50 watts on tap.

Now, the C1265's that Ted just whipped up for me with 50 oz. magnets are seeming like a different story in a 2x12... :AOK

5. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

No good for 1x12?

6. hipfan

hipfan Member

Depends on the amp, Sly. My DST amp makes a lot of otherwise adequate speakers sound overburdened, whereas I hear reports from other people that even a couple Greenbacks in a 2x12 handle the frequency response of their 40-50 watt amps just fine. Mine would make the same speakers very, very unhappy.

Plus, remember that I only have experience with Weber's copies, not the Celestions themselves. Could be a different story with the Celestions. Not qualified to say.

abnerfm likes this.
  7. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Here's what the US Celestion rep sent me in an eMail...

I've got a Two Rock 12-65 and it's wonderful. I'm planning on getting the Gold & Heritage 12-65 to pair them up - sort of a higher powered version of the often used G12H30 + Alnico Blue.

8. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Eh. I'll stick with the Scumbacks.

9. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

Wow!!!!!!! G12-65s are my favorite speakers! This is a good day!!

10. KOG

KOG Supporting Member

I am sorry, but the boys at Celestion must be smoking crack with those prices! There are better alternatives out there at half the cost. Product name can only get you so far, but they seem to be selling out and reissuing every speaker they ever produced. (Emi must be biting them in the rears) Enough is enough with these reissue (insert model here) speaker at 2x -3x the cost. Last time I check speakers were made of, metal, magnets, wire, paper, etc.......not oil, gold, diamonds, etc. It's not like they need to R&D these "new" speakers, they own the originals! Celestion is getting like Fender, you can only re-invent the wheel so many times. Sorry if I "offended" anyone..........just one man's not so humble opinion.

abnerfm likes this.
  11. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I love my Heritage speakers. The retail price is high but most can get them at a good discount and the resale is better than most brands. IMO:cool:

12. rockon1

rockon1 Member

+1000 ! It rediculous! Almost 300$ for a G12-65! NO,no,no.....:rolleyes: :eek:

abnerfm likes this.
  13. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I agree that the prices are high. But the Alnico Gold is the same price as the Alnico Blue, so at least they kept that the same.

14. doctord02

doctord02 Member

Ask Jim (Scumbag) about the 65 watt version of his G12H30 model with a 55Hz cone - the H55 65 watt - he cooked 'em up special for me. They sound great in a 1x12, thats what I mostly use...

15. tybone

tybone Member

"G12 65 will retail for $270.00"

Faaak. Looks like I should have held to the two I had or sold them for 50 bucks more. Faaaaaaaak. That is to say, if the resale on original 65's is around 100 bucks what is with the price of the reissues? I guess my originals are now worth 300 bucks a piece!

16. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Glad to hear you're still digging those speakers, sir!

The G12-65 is a classic speaker tone (I own a few myself), although there were about 50 or more different versions of it, according to a former Celestion engineer I know who left after 11 years. I wonder which version this new speaker was based on?

The Scumback M75-8LHDC-HP is pretty close to a G12-65 in tone as it shares the same magnet weight, large dust cap design, but with the vintage tone based on a Pre Rola M type speaker. The H75-8LHDC-HP is the 50 oz magnet large dust cap version, which offers higher efficiency, more low end, and the vintage tone of a Pre Rola H type speaker.

Large dust cap model speakers like the G12-65/Scumback LHDC generally handle higher gain better than small dust cap models. This is due to the large dust cap diffusing the extra preamp gain/treble that high gain amps usually produce in a very pleasing way, without excess "ice pick" like tone. The result is a slightly softened treble response and upper mids, which alot of players like.

I offer these type speakers in both 55hz M & H magnet models, as well as 75 hz M & H magnet models, in both low (25-30 watt) and high power (65 watt) handling ratings. Shoot me an email if you have a special need or version you'd like, and I may be able to get it dialed in for you.

As doctord02 found out, I'm fairly receptive to suggestions and custom designs...

17. talpa

talpa Member

I have 6 1982 15ohm G12-65s....2 in my bone stock Marshall 4104 combo, and my 1960A cab I picked up (thank god before the madness) about a year ago for $380 bucks in 9.0 conditon, just a few cuts. I would actually like to trade it one day for an 81/82 1960B - I prefer the projection of the bottom cabs.

Great speakers - I will take all I can scour up. At least I could make 3 2x12 cabs lol. Actually I prefer the 2x12 8ohm setting. There is no way to configure my 4x12 cab for 8ohms unfortunately....unless I have missed something.

These prices are outrageous...the amp world is getting guitar crazy.

18. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I cant wait till they come out with the Heritage G12T-75

:D

abnerfm likes this.
  19. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

Like P.T. Barnum said..........

20. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

+1 on this quote!