The Latest Line Of Supro Amps, Which Are The Winners?

Simon

Silver Supporting Member
I see the line has many models, Saturn, Comet, Jupiter, Titan, etc, etc.
I have heard pretty good things about the Saturn.
If you have tried any of these I'd love to hear your opinion.
I don't want super high powered.

Thanks

Tomm Williams

I had the 1624 for a bit and liked it a great deal. I was then given the opportunity to essentially trade it for an original '65 Thunderbolt so it's gone.

dmutter

I've tried out both the Dual Tone and the Black Magick. Both were fantastic! I particularly loved the Black Magick and went back to play it again on another occasion. Both amps had a really nice tone to them, and the bass response was quite awesome. Plenty of volume on tap with either option as well. Worth checking out at least in my opinion.

Louthunder

I have owned a Saturn for ten months now and still love it !!! Best amp I have ever owned and my last four amps were custom built ! They are great too, but the Saturn just has a little something the others don't !!! Best tremelo I have ever heard !!!

Serenity

Black Magick is fantastic. Only reason i've not bought one is i don't play out much these days and it's really loud. I'd definitely need an attenuator to get the best out of it at home. I'd like to try the Comet as it's switchable from 14 to 6 watts and it sounds really good in the videos.

fretless

Silver Supporting Member
I have owned a Saturn for ten months now and still love it !!! Best amp I have ever owned and my last four amps were custom built ! They are great too, but the Saturn just has a little something the others don't !!! Best tremelo I have ever heard !!!
I've never played thru one personally but the online demos of that amp make me hopelessly weak in the knees. They have that "tone I've heard in my head my whole life" vibe about them. So ridiculously rich sounding. Zero need for a new amp right now, and impossible to justify to the Wife, but I'm confident one day I'll grab one.

Rumble5

I went through a few amps trying to find the right grab-and-go amp: a Tiny Terror combo, a Blues Junior, a JCM800 4210, etc. I stopped when I found the Dual Tone (I haven't tried the other Supros and I only do 12" speakers). It's only about 35 lbs, but doesn't sound small or boxy like the TT or BJ. It sounds huge and can easily hang with my bigger amps (JMP, Pro Reverb) in terms of tone and volume. Plenty of low end for a small, light amp. It's got nice cleans, nice trem, and nice crunch. The JCM800 I had, while a great amp, didn't do the cleans that the Dual Tone does and didn't have the organic, old school breakup. You might need an attenuator with it, though, depending on your situation. It's a bit louder than a DRRI, and the only way to get it to break up is to turn it up.

Serenity

Just out of interest, have any of you Black Magick owners tried the amp with either the 1x12 or 1x15 extension cabs?

Simon

Silver Supporting Member

Thanks. I'm kind of leaning toward Comet or Saturn, as I prefer the lower wattage, how much does the Saturn weigh, and have you tried the Comet? I only thing I know so far is that the Comet breaks up earlier.

sonofiam

Got to play a couple in guitar store, Dual Tone and a Saturn. The Saturn ran circles around the Dual Tone to my ears (pun half intended). The Dual Tone had a nice tone and is very versatile but the Saturn had a shimmer and character that outshone the DT.

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
Went to Sam Ash in Huntington NY. They have a whole bunch of them lined up. I liked the bigger, higher wattage ones a lot. The smaller/lower wattage ones sounded nice, but small, and the low-end farted out.

Simon

Silver Supporting Member
Went to Sam Ash in Huntington NY. They have a whole bunch of them lined up. I liked the bigger, higher wattage ones a lot. The smaller/lower wattage ones sounded nice, but small, and the low-end farted out.

Thanks, so your saying the Saturn and Comet farted out?

gnappi

Sam Ash down here is blowing them all out, dunno if it's just inventory reduction or closeout / discontinued.

I heard a few other players there demo'ing them, they sounded GR8, but they are pricey, maybe Fenders are getting the nod from buyers?

Louthunder

Thanks. I'm kind of leaning toward Comet or Saturn, as I prefer the lower wattage, how much does the Saturn weigh, and have you tried the Comet? I only thing I know so far is that the Comet breaks up earlier.
I don't know how much it weighs, but it is very light !!!

Louthunder

The Saturn DOES NOT fart out in any way !! Like I said, best amp I have ever owned !!!

BSOD

Silver Supporting Member
Bought an original Supro Supreme, very clean from a seller on this board. The originals just blow these reissues - new releases away. I've had an original Super and Supreme now. Played a Saturn, Tremo-Verb, Black Magic, Dual Tone, etc. You can still get the originals at an incredible value around $1000 for the Supreme, and $600 for a nice Super. Hand wired. JMO, but it's not close.

Simon

Silver Supporting Member
Bought an original Supro Supreme, very clean from a seller on this board. The originals just blow these reissues - new releases away. I've had an original Super and Supreme now. Played a Saturn, Tremo-Verb, Black Magic, Dual Tone, etc. You can still get the originals at an incredible value around $1000 for the Supreme, and $600 for a nice Super. Hand wired. JMO, but it's not close.

Thanks.

e???

The Thunderbolt (not the plus version, that was more stiff) is an amazing amp. I've gigged mine like crazy in the last couple years, and it always sounds good. Better than good. Same for recording with it.

It's a lush clean with that 15". Rich and sounds good with p90's, teles, strats, semis, and hollows. At loud rock band levels it starts to break up and out. In the way you want it to at that volume.

It's around 45-50 pounds, so sometimes I bring my princeton type amp (super larry super sport) when I don't want to carry 50 pounds. But the super sport (as great as it is) is still a small amp (1x10"), so I always miss the thump of the 15" and 35 watts of the Thunderbolt, which sounds as big as a Super Reverb, or a Twin almost. The Thunderbolt is one of the best amps I've ever heard, and I like it more than the original thunderbolts (from the 60's) I've tried. Which sounded really different than the new stuff, different beasts completely. I like the new stuff more.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom