• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

The least $ you've ever spent on a bona fide Les Paul?

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
My first Les Paul was a 1974 20th Anniversary Custom.
I traded even for my "The SG".

valis_va

Gold Supporting Member
In 1986 I bought a 1978 Les Paul Standard (cherry sunburst) from my girlfriend's (and now wife) friend from high school who was GASing for a goldtop. Paid $300 cash.

pcozby

This is a pic of mre and my pride and joy when I was around 16.

My 1974 or 1973 Les Paul Deluxe with a broken headstock repair.

Someone had it routed out for Dimarzio Dual Sounds pup, with mini toggle switches between the volume and tone knobs.

$325.00 from Music City in Tampa, back in 1981..

I used to take that guitar everywhere, and I would give anything ti have it back....

saf_1

Well, I got a '54 two color 'burst, all original LP Junior in about ummmmm... '74 or '75 from a guitar repair guy in Norman OK., named David Rennie, for $250. Unfortunately, I ALSO traded a '62 Strat as part of the deal. The Strat was not all original - had been refin'ed in white, and did not have the final finish coat of laquer or poly or whatever they were planning to use on it - just the white sealer coat - and the middle p'up had a broken wire in the coil, so I'd had it replaced with an OEM Strat middle p'up. Still , it WAS a '62 Strat. Wish I still had it. This guy had done a bunch of work on the guitar for me, so he knew about it. I kinda got screwed on the deal, but didn't care at the time because I was A) young and dumb B) had no idea what vintage Strats would one day be worth (see A), and C) was just jonesing for a LP at the time, even though I originlly had something with humbuckers in mind. Anyway - I have neither guitar now.

The least I ever paid for a regular LP, was a few years before that trade took place. I ordered a brand new cherry sunburst LP Deluxe, through a music store some friends owned. This was about '71... MAYBE '72. I know I paid less tha a grand for it brand new. I traded a '61 or '62 tobacco sunburst Epiphone Riviera (a real Gibson, made in Kalamazoo Epiphone, in near mint conditon, as I recollect), and some cash (don't remember how much, but I remember I sold a 125cc Yamaha motocross bike to get it), for the new Deluxe. Had it for a couple of years, then sold it to a buddy for 500 bucks. A few years later had a chance to buy it back, so I traded him a brand new Guild D-18 or D-20 (I think... all mahogany dreadnought) that I'd paid $400 for - straight up for the Deluxe. So technically I guess, $400 is the least I've ever paid for a real LP.

saf_1

My first Les Paul was a 1974 20th Anniversary Custom.
I traded even for my "The SG".
Depending on how you interpret this post SOMEBODY really got screwed! If you traded "The SG" for the LP, then whoever traded you for it, just took it right up the ass! However, if YOU traded the LP for the SG, then the reverse was obviously true. I fervently HOPE it was the former - I couldn't really tell from the way your post was worded! :eek:

Phil M

Silver Supporting Member
$700 for an '82 LP Standard in wine red. Great color. This was in '94 and I think I overpaid (for the time). That guitar was a dog! I loved looking at it and told myself that I loved playing it, but my Studio played and sounded much nicer.

moosewayne

Silver Supporting Member
Depending on how you interpret this post SOMEBODY really got screwed! If you traded "The SG" for the LP, then whoever traded you for it, just took it right up the ass! However, if YOU traded the LP for the SG, then the reverse was obviously true. I fervently HOPE it was the former - I couldn't really tell from the way your post was worded! :eek:
Yeah, I really wanna know, too!

RussTKD

In 1988, a high school buddy had an '85 LP Custom Black Beauty he didn't want any longer. He paid $500 for it used, and wanted a Telecaster.

I bought it from him for $400. It had some buckle rash, but was otherwise a very nice guitar.

I took it to my guitar lesson and my teacher about fell out of his chair when he played it. Then my then-girlfriend's Dad saw it and said "It's just an old Gibson".

It came with me when I went to college. I played it in jazz combos, my rock band that went nowhere, and the electric guitar ensemble that my professor put together.

When my wife and I bought our house, during the move-in my mother-in-law suggested I sell it and buy "a nice piece of furniture or something useful" with the money. My wife had to intervene.

When we evacuated for Katrina, it went in the "can't be replaced" pile and made the journey from Abita Springs to Jackson to Tunica to Little Rock and back to Jackson.

At my 20 year reunion, the guy I bought it from asked if I still had it, and implied that he was mad that he ever let it go. So I posted a picture of it to Facebook and tagged him in it.

It may be the one material item I never part with.

I love that guitar.

franksguitar

I used to buy used Les Paul Deluxes and SG's for $200-225 and a 69 Walnut ES335 for $400 new and got a 64 ES345 for $400 in the 70's in early 90's got a 56 LP TV Special for $1,000.

rabbuhl

Looked in the SD Reader every week for about 5 years to find a cheap Les Paul. I ended up buying a 1980 Les Paul Custom for $500. The bridge pickup was bad and I replaced it with an Antiquity. I ended up selling it after a refret because the guitar tech used fretless wonder frets. It got replaced by a 2010 Les Paul G0 which cost a lot more. The G0 is worth every penny!!

Stratoben127

Silver Supporting Member
My 05' Les Paul Standard Faded cost me $1770 with Wolfetones and it is still the second best Les Paul I've ever played.

Baxtercat

Silver Supporting Member
If it sez 'Gibson' and has binding...I believe so. [Beats my '74 tobacco burst Std for $195 anyway]

Nickstrtcstr

Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger
$250 and $300 for a Burny Super Grade Tobacco Sunburst and a Burny Black Beauty both brand new Fuji-Gen guitars when I was in Japan in 1983. They may not have said Gibson on the headstock, but they were real deal Les Pauls.

Trending Topics