• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

The least $ you've ever spent on a bona fide Les Paul?

GTRJoe

Silver Supporting Member
I bought a 1973 Les Paul Std. new for about $500. That was a good deal at the time.

tbradshaw

In '83 I bought my '78 Deluxe for $650...and it came with a SF Twin Reverb, a distortion, phaser and a wah as well as some cables. The LP still gets regular use with the Twin and wah getting occasional use.

edward

Silver Supporting Member
I was pissed (jealous, of course!! ;) ) at first ...afterall, you guys scoring big time on great guits! But then I see the "inflation corrections" and now feel so much better.
:D :D :D

OTOH, I lucked into a fabulous LPC in Alp White with a properly-fixed headstock break for 1K maybe two or so years ago. Best score I ever made (thanks to a kind TGF-er!). This LPC and my Strat are my #1 go-to live guitars. Love it!!

Edward

pressure

I paid $180.00 for a gold top Les Paul from a pawn shop in 1965. Sold the LP for $235.00 and used that money to buy a 1961 Les Paul SG. I don't have the LP SG anymore but it was by far the better guitar.

Tweedledee

I bought a 1980 Silverburst LP Custom from the Chicago Guitar Center for $1k out the door about 5 years ago. It had a few issues (wrong tuners, small piece of headstock binding missing, crappy brass nut, pickup covers missing), but I still couldn't believe it when I saw the price. I could barely get my credit card out fast enough.

I had it for a little while then had to sell it to help come up with the down payment for my condo which I bought in 2008. Worst decision ever! The condo is now worth $100k less than I paid for it. I should have kept renting and kept the guitar! :D

dcooper830

I got this 1991 LP Studio about 4 years ago for $650 with hardshell case.

AWESOME LP!! I hope to never part with it!!

SFW

I bought a 1974 Les Paul Custom for $450 in 1988. It was my first guitar. You could buy a brand new Standard for $800 to $900. If I would have known then what I know now... I would have bought three or four of them. :)

In college (early 90s) my roommate purchased a 1961 SG with a Fender Vibrolux combo with an original Thomas Organ Co Wah pedal in the back of the amp for $500 from a garage sale. He made bank at a Guitar show a few years later when he sold them.

Gandalf5150

Picked up a beat up SG around 1982 for £75. I figured it was maybe stolen, but bought it anyway. (I was a kid from the wrong side of the tracks at the time) It was left handed and my first Gibson. Played it upside down for a year or so then swapped it for a The Paul. That's when I fell in love with LPs. Been that way ever since.

Bought a 74 LP Special for £400 in 92. Looked beat up as hell with rusty strings, but had no real damage and cleaned up just fine. Played like a dream. My #1 for about 8 years.

83stratman

Silver Supporting Member
Come on man, I like the Japanese LPs better than most Gibson stuff, but to call them the real deal is a bit of a stretch IMO.

$250 and $300 for a Burny Super Grade Tobacco Sunburst and a Burny Black Beauty both brand new Fuji-Gen guitars when I was in Japan in 1983. They may not have said Gibson on the headstock, but they were real deal Les Pauls.

cjp54

71 LP 58 reissue for $240 (Still have) (1973)
73 LP Custom with Kahler $300 (1990)
59 Burst traded a Firebird and an Acoustic 150 amp and then traded back (1973)
54 GT $800 with two Lifton cases (Still have) (1991)

Those were the day!

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
I traded eveñ an $800 Rivera amp for a real nice LP Classic recently. Best Lp I've owned in a long time. It sounds so much better than the 97 R8 I had.
And in 1969 I bought a new LP Standard for $320.

nastynate

Spent $500 for a black '81 Standard in 2000 or 2001. Lots of belt rash on the back, weighs a ton, but it plays and sounds killer (it has the Shaw pickups). The guys at the music store I bought it from still occasionally ask if I want to sell it, but I always say no.

Matt-o-caster

Silver Supporting Member
Bought a 1974 LP Standard in honeyburst with a subtle flame top for $750 in 2002. Got it from an audio engineer when I was living in Nashville. It wasnt totally original, and it needed a refret, but it's good as gold now and plays/sounds like $1 mil!

datguytim

Silver Supporting Member
My 2 best LP deals:

#1) 2006 R9. Price - $0.

#2) '76 LP Standard w/Dimarzio Super Distortions of the era. Price - $300.

Sold the '76. The R9 is still my #1 axe.

Trending Topics